FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please help - Transcend SD card shows up empty after expensive shoot

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
austen collins
Please help - Transcend SD card shows up empty after expensive shoot
on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:05:00 am

My heart is pumping, I don't know how much more I can take!

Just did a 1 day shoot with about a thousand dollars worth of rentals. I have been using EX1, MxR adaptors, and Transcend class 6 cards 16 gigs for 4 months now and never lost any data (though there have been an unusual amount of media restore errors).

I've come home to transfer footage and one of the cards is not working. It mounts as UNTITLED and when I first opened it, there was nothing in there. Now, when I open it and there is a BPAV folder, but no video files.

FCP log and transfer, XDCAM Transfer, XDCAM Clip Browser won't read it.

But...

If I right click on the card and "Get Info", it says that there is 6.39 gigs used of 14.96 total.

The footage is in there! How do I retrieve it?

Lost Footage = Death by Producer

Please,
Austen

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Please help - Transcend SD card shows up empty after expensive shoot
on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:09:25 am

I would put it back into the camera and restore media and see if that fixes the issue. However if you popped the card out before it finished writing the data you could have damaged the card and the data.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Austen Collins
on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:20:09 am

Michael,

Thanks for responding so promptly. I have tried putting the card back into it's MxR adaptor and back into the camera. The camera responds with "No Clip", and doesn't give me the option to restore.

I did not eject any of the cards during the shoot. The cards stayed in the camera until I got home.

Is there some other way I can access the data with my mac pro and withdraw it from the card other than via the finder?

A

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:32:52 am

Do you have an SDHC card reader other than the MxR?

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

austen collins
on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:45:42 am

I have a Transcend brand SDHC reader, an ImageMate SDHC reader, and also a PC with a card slot.

After thoroughly testing every possible combination to retrieve the data from my Transcend card, something changed, and the card's info now reads 14.96 GB capacity, 14.96 GB available.

I think now I can officially say that I've lost everything.

I purchased the Transcend cards and MxR adaptors from the reputable Abel Cine Tech in Burbank, CA., and they have completely failed.

I have no idea how I'm going to explain this to a producer who has no understanding of the technology, but has relied on me enough to invest a thousand dollars toward a single day of shooting.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:00:22 am

Download the DataRescue demo and have a look what is inside the card.
If the files have been recorded, they are still over there, unless they have been over-write.
Recover the MP4 files and use SONY Clip Browser to rebuild the BVPA.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:04:10 am

I had a situation a few days ago where I put in another Transcend 16 gig card and my camera said it needed to format the card. I'm wondering if you may have thought it was a restore media request when it was a format request.

I think you better leave this card to a professional and don't try to do anything with it or you will not get any of the data back.

Here is a name and a company that might be able to recover the data that I got from Lou Schmidt of Hoodman. I would Fed Ex it to them.

http://WWW.LC-TECH.COM
Ron Gomez 866-603-2195 ext. 102
rong@lc-tech.com

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

austen collins
on Aug 19, 2009 at 4:13:01 am

R.I.P. footage

Rafael - I ran the DataRescue Demo and it found nothing. Perhaps if I had done it only minutes sooner when the card was still reading 6.39 gigs used, I could have saved it. But the available space strangely switched back to the standard 14.96 GB on disk when I tried to read the card with my Transcend brand SDHC reader instead of the ImageMate reader I was initially using.

Michael - During the shoot and this entire transfer process I was never given a media request of any sort, though it was not uncommon to get occasional "restore media" requests on previous shoots.

I'm going to try to contact the company you recommend Michael.

But on three different computers the card is reading as empty, and I think it is time I cut my losses. I'm going back to Abel Cine Tech and returning my other Transcend cards.

For anyone who is considering this technology, it has completely failed on me and cost me greatly.

Nonetheless, thanks to the Cow guys for support :)

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2009 at 1:37:25 pm

We spend so much time is "rescue" mode I think people wait until after the accident to think about seat belts assuming they think about them at all.

People need to learn how to be careful BEFORE the accident happens (although I have know idea if the O.P. took all precautions).

When you get new SDHC cards:

Put one in each slot and record straight through without stopping. Erase the cards and do it again.
If you get a media error at any point, there's no 2nd chance. Return the cards.

Do a short record test series. Start and stop recording repeatedly. Delete a clip occasionally and continue to start and stop. ALWAYS REMEMBER that you MUST wait for the light to go green above the slot before you can start recording otherwise it's USER ERROR. You should be able to do this many times and NEVER get a media error.

ALWAYS use Clip Browser (or Shot Put) with CRC on. ALWAYS!

If a card throws a Media Error and you swear up and down the light was green when you started recording the RETIRE THE CARD IMMEDIATELY. You wouldn't drive a car where the breaks "occasionally" failed. You wouldn't shoot with a DV tape that snapped and then scotch tapped back together.

This is your JOB, YOUR CLIENT, YOUR BUSINESS. Don't risk it over a $40-$140 SDHC card. I have NEVER had a SDHC card failure. Drive safely!

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Michael Palmer
on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:06:49 pm

All great points Craig, You and I know how to properly use this SDHC/MxR solution and know that our cards work because we tested them as you outlined above.

I think anyone who is a true professional with one of the EX cameras should have invested in enough SxS cards to keep up with there responsibility for hire. Honestly if someone buys this camera and only gets 2-8 gig cards that come with the camera and a few SDHC cards with 1-MxR adapter they are not properly equipped for hire.

I'm starting to believe this solution isn't for everyone. There is no excuse for failure with tapeless solutions. I would imagine this producer will never hire a Sony XD Cam EX owner/operator again. And having uneducated individuals making mistakes will only steer producers back to the P2 crews.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 20, 2009 at 2:39:04 pm

Hi Austen,
That sounds very strange to me.
I have recovered without problems deleted files and files from corrupted SDHC cards.
I've been able even to download partially overwrite clips.
SxS cards recovering is a different story.
If the files are so important you may try FileSalvage as well.
I agree with Craig that we must be careful when managing the media, but mistakes happens and we must be ready.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

dano motley
on Aug 21, 2009 at 12:29:46 am

austin,

if you have exhausted all recovery solutions...send me an email. i have some pretty good recovery software i have used in the past that might work.

dano

danno3655@comcast.net

Return to posts index

Brian Walker
on Aug 19, 2009 at 2:17:38 pm

I know it is a little late, but I am curious...Did you review your clips(in camera) onsite to verify the records? I always review my last clip before I move to a new location or if I have a minute to view..

Thanks in advance!
Brian Walker

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:18:48 pm

Panic can set in pretty quickly, is it possible that the cards got mixed up? Have you copied each into the clip browser and checked every one?
A card that shows up with just a BPAV folder, no video clips, sounds like one that has been freshly formatted. You say that it looked like that early in your travails.
Restoring the card won't delete all, if you confused restore and format you may be beyond redemption.
If you have not written anything to the card it may be recoverable with PhotoRescue or similar.

At the end of a long day of shooting when concentration is wavering I've scared the hell out of myself copying to a place I promptly forgot, mixing up cards, moving stuff around. I now have an SOP ( and almost all the time follow my rules).
First thing I always try to do is copy the card (I confess, using finder, not the browser) into a folder on my desktop. First thing - always. That is my first backup to the backups - after everything else is copied I dump it.

Second rule is "don't shoot paid jobs on cheap cards". It just isn't worth the stomach ulcers.

Good luck, hope it turns out to be a bad dream.

Return to posts index

Bob Hayes
on Aug 19, 2009 at 7:03:11 pm

I've just started shooting with my EX1. I make sure every card has a large identifiable number on it and I always shoot in the order of the cards 1, 2, 3 etc.

Return to posts index

Ken Nicholson
on Aug 19, 2009 at 7:52:24 pm

Another practice I've adopted gives a little extra assurance. When I return from a shoot, I copy the BPAV folders to my backup drive. I then copy those to the media RAID. I use the files on the RAID to import into FCP. That way, I know that the files on the backup drive are good without having to check. Only then do I erase the SDHC cards, but even then only when I need the cards for a shoot.

Transcend 16GB cards are the only ones I'll use. I only buy them direct from Transcend.

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

Tash Glenn
on Dec 7, 2009 at 6:42:20 pm

I'm having a similar issue, I had footage on my Transcend SD card as i checked the footage in my camera before transferring...so i tried to transfer my footage from a card reader onto my hard drive. The transfer crashed and now the card will not open on my computer using a reader. I also put it back into my Panasonic HMC 150 camera and i get a "Check Card' error message. Is my footage lost or can it still be recovered?

Return to posts index

Andrew Pyka
Re: Please - Transcend SD card shows up empty after expensive shoot
on Jul 10, 2010 at 1:25:50 am

I now have the same problem. Did you ever get a solution?

Return to posts index

Branda garlic
restore formatted transcend sdhc card
on Dec 6, 2012 at 10:23:31 am

Hello There,
Once you have deleted the data from you card doesn't mean that data is gone permanently. You can again get your formatted data back. You can do this by accomplishing the process of recovery. You can restore formatted transcend SDHC card by using recovery software. Actually the data which seems to be deleted is just an illusion and at the disk data is present. If you want to restore the formatted card's data then just you need to download the software from this link. The software installation at your system will facilitate you with the recovery features.

Regards
Branda

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: restore formatted transcend sdhc card
on Dec 6, 2012 at 4:39:43 pm

This seems to be a Windows solution, is there a Mac solution?

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: restore formatted transcend sdhc card
on Dec 6, 2012 at 5:58:51 pm

Found it
http://www.recoversdcard.net/

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Eric Marby
Re: Transcend SD card recovery
on Feb 23, 2015 at 9:49:06 am
Last Edited By Eric Marby on Feb 27, 2015 at 4:31:07 am

You may try this Transcend data recovery solution that helped me before.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]