FORUMS: list search recent posts

settings for ex-1 and 16mm telecine

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
irene litapop
settings for ex-1 and 16mm telecine
on Aug 19, 2009 at 12:41:18 am

hi,

i'm new to the ex-1 and playing around with using it for home telecine of 16mm film. i have a 5-blade telecine projector, and i'm trying to shoot off a screen with the ex-1. what settings do i use? do i shoot 24P to match the film frame rate? what if i want to combine this telecine material with other video footage shot at 30P in final cut? am i better off using 30P for the telecine? or does it not matter since both 24P and 30P are embedded in 29.9 fps streams? also, my first test has a LOT of flicker. it almost looks like a television vertical roll bar. why would that be? this didn't used to happen when i used a similar setup with the 16mm projector and my old PD-150. do i need to tweak the shutter speed somehow? or use the flicker reduction? i've played around with the shutter speed numbers and angle as well as flicker reduction, and everything i try makes the roll bar worse.

if someone can point me towards settings that will help, i'd really appreciate it!

thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Wilker
Re: settings for ex-1 and 16mm telecine
on Aug 19, 2009 at 3:25:05 am

I was doing something similar for some Super8 footage recently and what I found worked best for removing flicker/rolling artifacts was to dial the shutter up with the ECS settings rather than angle or speed. For 18 frame per second Super8, I found 3x was about right (ECS at 53.98 looked VERY smooth and clean). You might give this a try.

Return to posts index

irene litapop
on Aug 19, 2009 at 6:48:47 pm

i'll try that -- thanks. did you shoot at 24p or 30p?

still wondering what accounts for the roll bar... flickering makes sense, but i thought a roll bar has to do with refresh rates and eletrical current discrepancies.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Wilker
on Aug 20, 2009 at 3:38:05 am

I did film at 24 fps 1080p (sure, the Super8 stuff is grainy as heck, but it looks cool for the intended purpose). I had to switch over to a different projector after a bulb burned out and the timing/rolling effect was NOT the same. Close, but slightly noticeably different. I just had to play around with the ECS timing to find the best results. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can step in here, but I would guess the frame rates are too close, not divisible to one another or something?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]