FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3/Nano/35mm lens

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Palmer
EX3/Nano/35mm lens
on Aug 18, 2009 at 2:32:36 am

I just shot this music video for Kate Earl, she is great. I used my EX3 together with my Nano Flash and a 35mm lens adapter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXJDqzKePnc&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efacebook%2Ecom%2Fhome%2Ephp%3Fref%3Dlogo&feature=player_embedded

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: EX3/Nano/35mm lens
on Aug 18, 2009 at 2:35:04 am

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 18, 2009 at 3:07:42 am

Hi michael,
Beautiful.
Beautiful lady, beautiful song and what to say about the picture.
I just come back from Spain.
i have to post you.
Cheers,
rafa

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 18, 2009 at 4:04:30 am

Your work was nice Michael, but about three minutes into the song I had heard the chorus so many times already that the last minute made me want to reach for the scissors and cut the tape and edit a short version. Girls in nice underwear wriggling (to quote Gollum) for the camera do not make up for a repetitious song that needs to be two minutes, not four.

Your work? Very nice.

The song? Underwear didn't make up for its limitations, I am afraid.

Nice lighting, by the way.

Oh, and for those that want to flame me for my opinion, I slipped on my asbestos undies -- and oh, I don't wriggle.

;)

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Jay Curlee
on Aug 18, 2009 at 4:52:24 am

I am with Ron on this one. Beautifully shot and lit.

This is to music what the SI Swimsuit Edition is to sports.

Music video was and is good for the production business. I don't think it had a positive effect on music or musicians.

This is not the forum to get into that, though.

Beautiful job, Michael. I'd rather hear Steve Earl, though.

Jay

Jay Curlee

JC Communications
Makers of Rocking the Boat: A Musical Conversation and Journey
http://www.rockingtheboatmovie.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Mahaffay
on Aug 18, 2009 at 7:01:04 am

Aloha Michael...jeez tough crowd. Thank you for all that you share on this site and for sharing your excellent work on the video.
Mahalo, Dennis

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:21:37 am

Hi Michael,

What were the nanoflash settings you used for the recording?
I hope to have mine shipped in the next week or so.
Thanks very much

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:38:08 am

Michael:
Beautifully shot. Did you direct the talent as well? Tell us about the 35mm lens, adapter, etc.(a picture of your rig would be nice) And finally was it all available light or did you use lighting at the location?
Having done a few music videos myself, as a film editor, I know how difficult it is to hold the interest while dealing with repetition in the music, in that regard, I think you did an excellent job in holding our interest thru to the end.
Good work!

Mims

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 18, 2009 at 2:54:58 pm

Thanks to all for the kind words, we shot this all in one day starting in Venice then jumped on that bus to Malibu for the wilderness/teepee scenes.

My job was to direct the photography and yes I lit a good portion of the scenes. I used a combination of HMI's and LED's. I was lucky to have my gaffer and BB from my Animal Planet series helping me with the lighting on this, they earned their day rate as I did.

I had nothing to do with the edit however I was invited to direct the color correction but I was not able to make it. I would have deepened the blacks with a little more contrast and I did suggest the bleach look for her close ups.

To Ron's comment, my creative input was only for the images and I must say this song didn't drive me nuts like most do at the end of the day. I think Kate is extremely talented and it was a pleasure to work with her and her management.

I decided to shot 720 24p and use the EX3 overcranking abilities (to 48 frames) for slowing down the motion on selected shots. I hired a steadycam owner operator who was fantastic, and I hand held for many of the shots at her camp ground do to time constraints with setup time with the steadycam.

I rented the Encore lens adapter from EVS together with a set of Zeiss lenses (24, 35, 50, 85, 135, 300) and I was impressed by the look we were able to get. Many here know I had purchased the M-2 complete setup for my EX1 and returned it because it just wasn't a viable setup for the Sony EX cameras at that time.

For the Nano I setup for 720p, 100Mbps i-frame. The Nano fit great on the back cold shoe of the EX3 and it didn't effect the steadycam operator. I can't say enough about the Nano and the high quality images it records.

Here is a still that I corrected that I sent to the color team.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Aug 18, 2009 at 4:57:13 pm

Super images Michael!

Thanks for sharing with us. Did you use any particular preference settings to bow out so much of this and not end up clipping?

Paul Zwicker
ZwickFlicks LLC

EX3, FCP

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 18, 2009 at 5:13:16 pm

[Michael Palmer] "Here is a still that I corrected that I sent to the color team. "
Michael, this lady doesn't needs any kind of correction.:-)
And now I understand were have you been the last few weeks. I was expecting your NANO-feedbacks, but no news.
BTW, I'm curious too about which PP's are you using.
lately I've ben having a lot of noise problems. I think because I was using "CINE GAMMA 4" in some low light situations.
Best,
rafael

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Aug 18, 2009 at 5:51:26 pm

[Michael Palmer] "To Ron's comment, my creative input was only for the images and I must say this song didn't drive me nuts like most do at the end of the day. I think Kate is extremely talented and it was a pleasure to work with her and her management."

Now, Michael, I didn't say that working with her wouldn't be a pleasure. ;o)

As I said, your camera work and lighting were quite nice. I am just a guy with over 10,000 albums in my collection over a lifetime and I have heard so many songs and hooks that I can spot a lifted hook a mile away and where it comes from.

Kathlyn and I were once touring with a band that included the drummer from Stealers Wheel (Stuck In the Middle With You) and when I met him I asked him how he felt when he first heard Sheryl Crow's big album. He smiled and said, "Wow, you spotted that, too, eh?" (Her "All I Wanna Do" is a total knock-off of Stealers Wheel, right down to the arrangements, instrumentation, hooks, ambiance and feel.) Many songwriters do this, which is understandable I guess, as rock is now over 50 years old and many of the hooks are tried and true.

While I loved your work, I will admit to be a bit hard on music and can be a sometimes crank when it comes to great wine and great music.

I hope you know that I was in no way insulting your work. As I said, your images are quite nice, Michael, and you should justifiably be proud of your work.

Also, music is so subjective that what is boring to one is noteworthy to another. That's a good thing as it leaves room for most anyone -- even me. ;o)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Creativity is a type of learning process where the teacher and pupil are located in the same individual.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 18, 2009 at 7:03:18 pm

Ron,
I know nothing about music other than what I like. You bring a perspective that I wasn't paying attention to or capable of commenting on. Thank you for the kind words for my work, i would love to keep shooting more of this cinematic style HD using my EX3 and the new Nano Flash.

I will post my (secret) picture profiles soon for those who have asked.

Michael

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Aug 19, 2009 at 10:13:55 pm

Michael,

Since I have never done a music video, I have a question.

Since it was studio recording dubbed with the video portion, what does the gaffer have to do?

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 19, 2009 at 10:30:23 pm

A Gaffer is the Key of the Electrical Department, Lighting is what a Gaffer does.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Aug 19, 2009 at 10:32:43 pm

Thanks,

I had thought gaffers were primarily sound.

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:48:23 pm

Lovely pictures Michael. Love to get those PP settings you said you would post to those who are interested.I am about to shoot some music stuff with my Nano which I have not had too much chance to play with yet.I am required to do some 60fps slo mo in 720-25p and as I gather from previous posts that this must come from the SxS cards and cannot be done through the Nano .Is this right because you mentioned the editor may have used the overcranked files from the Nano.Would really love your input on how to get best slo-mo results from my EX-3 ,Nano combination in a 25p world.
Again ,congrats on such great pictures from the Ex-3
Regards
Mike J

Return to posts index

Don Jung
on Aug 22, 2009 at 7:58:56 am

Hey Michael,

Great looking video. I'm looking into using the same setup you had for a short I'm about to do. I love that the Nano does 4:2:2 which will help for some of the vfx shots. I have a couple of questions on your shoot.

Did you record all of your footage to the Nano?

Were the overcranked shots recorded to the SxS cards?

I'm trying to find out if you can record over and undercranked footage through the sdi output.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Aug 22, 2009 at 4:12:30 pm

"Did you record all of your footage to the Nano? "
No we backed everything up with SxS recording. We even used my EX1 as a second camera and yes they used some native EX files.

"Were the overcranked shots recorded to the SxS cards?"
Nano over/under feature isn't available yet but it is coming soon. The editor may have used the Nano files for the slow motion, I wasn't involved with the edit.

"I'm trying to find out if you can record over and undercranked footage through the sdi output."
No the camera doesn't output over/under.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Will Eccleston
on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:25:21 pm

Just curious - if the EX doesn't send over/undercrank out the SDI spigot, how will the nano be adding that capability?

Will Eccleston
Kinetiscape Films

Return to posts index

Gerry Curtis
on Aug 24, 2009 at 9:24:58 pm

Really terrific looking, nice cinematography! Would love to see an HD version. And to be greedy, a screen split of the nano/xdcam in comparison.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Gerry

http://www.digitalkilnstudios.com

Return to posts index

Gerry Curtis
on Aug 24, 2009 at 9:26:36 pm

Really terrific looking, nice cinematography! Would love to see an HD version. And to be greedy, a screen split of the nano/xdcam in comparison.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Gerry

http://www.digitalkilnstudios.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 24, 2009 at 11:13:06 pm

Yeap, I don't see the need of Overcrancking. Shoot 720p60 and conform.
It seems that when recording Intraframe the files can be conformed in CinemaTools without transcoding.
rafael

Return to posts index

Will Eccleston
on Aug 25, 2009 at 2:37:09 am

So you're saying we'll be able to shoot at 720p60 and conform to 30 or even 24 for super-slomo, right?

Will Eccleston
Kinetiscape Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]