FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting HD to SD - new question

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GInny Stein
Converting HD to SD - new question
on Aug 17, 2009 at 3:49:28 am

Hi

I spoke to soon about the company in Australia I am filming for editing in FCP 6...it is FCP 5. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can export/send them files filmed on my Xdxam ex1 camera in SD.
They will only accept SD.
I have FCP 7.
I have tried exporting files as Avi DV through the xdcam ex1 browser (they can accept AVI files) but they keep getting corrupted.
Btw, I bought and downloaded Noah Kadner's training DVD for the ex-1 and it has been a fabulous help in getting started.
But I am stuck on this.

cheers

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Converting HD to SD - new question
on Aug 17, 2009 at 5:27:15 am

Just to clarify, they have FCP5?
They won't spend $299 to upgrade to Final Cut Studio 3 / FCP7?
Did they inform you of their format needs?
If not, they should either spend the $299 to upgrade or you should charge them for the time it takes to convert the files to something they can use.

If they have FCP5 you could convert the EX MOV files to DVCProHD in Compressor. They aren't limited to Standard Def.

HD actually gives them freedom to reposition, reframe, add motion to shots in a Standard Def timeline.

If they want SD then they have to inform if they want Letter Box or Center Cut.
You could convert to 8 Bit Uncompressed Standard Def in Compressor as well. Converting to DV makes no technical or aesthetic sense at all.

Either way you should charge them for the conversion if they didn't inform you that they needed SD. If they did, you should have built that into the bill.

If they are unwilling to spend $299 it seems they are dumping on you and you should not permit it.
If they don't have an Intel Mac then they should consider finding an upgrade to FCP6/FCS2 if they haven't disappeared off the market.

Return to posts index

GInny Stein
on Aug 18, 2009 at 2:28:06 am

Hi Craig

Thanks for your suggestions. I live in hope they will spend some money to upgrade.

cheers

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 17, 2009 at 5:28:53 am

If they are using FC, you shouldn't send them any AVI.
They will need to transcode it for editing.
If they are in FC 5, you can not send them Proress.
PhotoJPEG 75%, DVCPro50 or DV are your options.
cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

GInny Stein
on Aug 18, 2009 at 2:29:21 am

Thanks Rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]