FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM dual mono/stereo

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Oh
XDCAM dual mono/stereo
on Aug 13, 2009 at 2:49:34 pm

XDCAM clips are dual mono not stereo. And your FCP sequence needs to be set to dual mono, not stereo. This much I know. I can easily write an xdcam file to an XDCAM disk from my FCP 6.06. But I wonder what happens after that.

First, if I write XDCAM material with a stereo soundtrack to an XDCAM disk, do I need to count on my operator that when it is played back (I work at a TV station) that they will have chosen the appropriate panning to present a stereo image ?

Secondly, if I am pulling that same XDCAM material off of the XDCAM disk (let's say to make an SD DVD), do I have to make sure I have the dual mono layers panned left and right ?

My experience has been that XDCAM material often resists panning (in FCP - we have an AVID that has none of the dual mono/stereo panning problems that I am having) and I have never seen that type of pan-resist behavior in any media working with FCP from the beginning.

Thanks

Michael

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: XDCAM dual mono/stereo
on Aug 13, 2009 at 3:11:01 pm

You can instruct FCP that the clips audio channels are a stereo pair by hitting command-L, I believe. Do you still have problems panning after doing that?

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 13, 2009 at 3:13:43 pm

I'm not sure what your workflow is and why but The dual mono XDCAM clips work just fine in a stereo FCP timeline. It depends on what you're outputing to and why. I output to timeline codec or ProRes in stereo just fine. If I need to go back to XDCAM (EX MP4 in my case) I set the timeline to dual mono.

Without a purpose to your workflow it's hard to say what you should do but you can certainly hand off a stereo master without issue. I often shoot with a stereo shotgun mic because I want stereo ambiance so I'm quite mindful of this.

Return to posts index

Michael Oh
on Aug 13, 2009 at 4:39:29 pm

Thanks for the responses - it seems to be my lack of a rigorous problem-solving methodology (re: I'm lazy). I went back to the clips and was able to change what I thought I could not change previously.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]