FORUMS: list search recent posts

PDW-U1 Data Storage

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Biscotti
PDW-U1 Data Storage
on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:37:51 pm

Am I misreading the release notes for ver 2.2.1 where it states that "User data (files Other than XDCAM AV files) can be recorded on professional disc as PC data via the USB interface. This allows professional disc to be used as data recording media......"

Well I updated the firmware and software and tried to write a non xdcam file to the disc and got No Joy.

Am I missing something or is this another tease by our friends at Sony.

Looking for the "Cow" to help me as always!

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: PDW-U1 Data Storage
on Aug 11, 2009 at 8:46:31 pm

Sony's been saying "Any Day Now" for a looooong time. I too have a PDW-U1 paperweight. Someone on the forum said they were able to download software to support this on a PC last week, in the UK. Nothing on the Sony USA site last time I checked. I don't know if the Mac support is close to follow.

Sony has slowly rolled out data support for other XDCAM disc hardware, we're just at the end of the line.

Cf

Return to posts index

Ray Raley
on Aug 11, 2009 at 10:11:59 pm

I successfully wrote a 8 GB file to the new UserData folder. The U1 firmware went from 2.205 to 2.420.

From the readme...

“Clip Folder”, “General Folder”, and “UserData Folder” Capability Comparison and Usage Notes
The “Clip” and “General” folders have been part of the XDCAM format definition from the initial introduction of the optical XDCAM products. The General folder is a 500 MB area on the disc which can be used to store any files on the XDCAM disc without impacting video / audio recording capacity. The Clip and General folders are created when the disc is formatted in any optical XDCAM machine. The Clip folder is used to hold all of the high resolution MXF files which are shot / recorded by an optical disc based, XDCAM product. MXF files stored in the Clip folder can be played back by the XDCAM disc camcorder or deck. Prior to the introduction of “Mixed Format Recording” feature, only certain combinations of files (i.e. SD, HD, 1080i, 720p) are permitted to be mixed together in the Clip folder on the same disc.
The “UserData” folder was introduced in the XDCAM HD 422 products (i.e. PDW-700 and PDW-HD1500) running version 1.2x firmware. The UserData folder enables users to store any files (i.e. graphics or XDCAM EX format SxS card images) on the XDCAM disc and use nearly the full capacity of the XDCAM disc (i.e. approximately 21 GB on a 23 GB PFD-23 disc and approximately 46.4 GB on a 50 GB PFD-50 disc). Naturally, this capability also means that these files reduce the video/audio recording time. However, files in the UserData folder cannot be directly played back by the XDCAM disc machine.

2.2.1 Software can be found here.

Return to posts index

Joe Biscotti
on Aug 11, 2009 at 11:00:53 pm

Thank you for the reply!

I was able to write a file to the general clip folder, but Sony was touting the fact that this could be 23Gbish (for single sided XDcam discs) storage device. So far all I can manage is 499MB. So the Question is still on the table. Will the every be a mass storage device for OTHER THAN XDCAM (EX 1,3) Files?

Return to posts index

Ray Raley
Re: PDW-U1 Data Storage (Mac installer too)
on Aug 11, 2009 at 11:08:37 pm

The readme and my comments in my previous post specifically mentioned the UserData folder, not the General folder. The mass storage capability you are wanting is a reality. I updated 3 Mac Pros, one Win XP laptop, and four U1 drives so far.

The drive will have to be formatted using the U1 Utility in order to write the Sony file structure, including the new UserData directory. A 23GB disc can have 21GB of data in that directory. All kinds of files. Verified.

The new discs also work in PDW-HD1500s, PDW-F75s, and PDW-700s with the appropriate firmware.

Ray Raley
Chief Engineer, Multimedia Video
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Aug 12, 2009 at 2:36:53 pm

Thanks a million, Ray! I must have checked just before it was posted, because I didn't see it and I looked recently. I'm excited to update our systems.

Cf

Return to posts index

Joe Biscotti
on Aug 12, 2009 at 3:35:07 pm

Ray.

Thanks for the post but I am still not able to write a file to the disc. Driver ver. 2.21 and firmware ver 2.420. I tried to write a mov file (1.2 gigs) to the disc as a test and I kept getting an error message "Destination drive is full" I was copying and pasting in the general tab then the sony tab and finally the planning tab. The disk was formatted by the drive using the PDW-U1 utility app.

What do you think I am doing wrong?

Thnaks agin for your time and insite!!!

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Aug 13, 2009 at 3:35:02 pm

The "General" folder only has 500mb available to it. In order to use this disc as you intend for data storage, you need to use the UserData folder, which to my knowledge has not existed on XDCAM disc media until this upgrade. If the disc is blank, maybe format it again?

Cf

Return to posts index

Ray Raley
on Aug 13, 2009 at 7:55:21 pm

I am attaching a screen shot of my test disc. You must have this directory structure and your mass storage data will go into the UserData folder (which is selected in the screen shot).

xdcamdirectorystructure.jpg

Ray

Return to posts index

Joe Biscotti
on Aug 17, 2009 at 9:34:48 pm

Thank you all for the help. I have finally made it work.

Joe

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Mar 9, 2010 at 1:05:04 am

Ray,

I found your comment and thought you may have some answers since you upgraded several machines.

I read about the firmware update for the Sony PDW-U1 XDCam disc player that would allow this deck to record. We have not been able to record back to the deck. I down loaded the package from Sony, installed, and checked the firmware. We had an older version so I upgraded.

Now, every disc I insert shows "0 clips" in the XDCam Transfer software - not good. Played the disc in another deck (the 75) and they play fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

Brian Keith
on Sep 3, 2009 at 11:23:14 pm

I have this working on my MacBook Pro, however the UserData folder seems to MAX out at about 9.16GB. Has anyone else tried to use the theoretically available 20+GB? Interestingly, the disc still shows 11.34GB available. But how and where does one use and find this space?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Apr 3, 2012 at 4:10:46 pm

Did anyone solve this?

I have a new PDW-U2 with the latest software.

I formatted a disk and got the correct file structure for XDCAM but I am also unable to store more than the 9GB into the user data area despite my mbp reporting that there is 13Gb ish free!

Steve

Return to posts index

steve knattress
Re: PDW-U2 Data Storage
on Apr 3, 2012 at 5:00:41 pm

sorry to reply to myself but I have found the problem:

"The maximum number of files that can be created on a disc is 5,000 for single-layer discs, 6,000 for dual-layer discs, and 20,000 for quad-layer WO discs (including directories). The maximum number of clips that can be created on a disc is 300 for single-layer and dual-layer discs, and 1,200 for quad-layer WO discs. If this limit is reached, nothing more can be written to the disc, even if the disc still has free capacity remaining."

I need to zip my picture files!

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]