FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM log workflow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Bochenek
XDCAM log workflow
on Aug 7, 2009 at 8:38:28 pm

Hello,
we try to communicate log info from the real to editor correctly and we don't success.... here is the problem:

the real is logging with XDCAM transfer from his computer with a copy of all medias with XDCAM transfer. The problem is that it creates new .MOV on his side that i don't have...

We don't know how to proceed after hours of google ?
is it possible for him to send me by mail a list (EDL or other) of his log ?

thanks

olivier

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
Re: XDCAM log workflow
on Aug 7, 2009 at 9:31:15 pm

Although it transfers the footage to MOV's, they should still have the same file name. The exported EDL from FCP should correspond to the file names of your raw footage. Of course, if you do this, it becomes VERY important that you always generate unique file names in the camera. We've come up with a few practices that do this, based on particular camera and the date.

You are just wanting to know which shots your editor is referencing, correct?

Beyond that, there are a couple of different MAM systems that allow that type of two way communication. We are using a combination of CatDV and Calibrated Software to do that now. It works fairly well.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Olivier Bochenek
on Aug 7, 2009 at 9:45:29 pm

hi,
i'm the editor.
all of this is too new for us... i don't get it !!!
the new names clips are generated by XDCAM transfer
but the realisator is at his home so the .MOV created on his side... i don't have them so maybe what we're trying to do is impossible.

basically what we want is:

1-the realisator is selecting sections of clips with comments ans give names to clips that are not numbers (log list)
2-send me something (log lost, i don't know) ?
3-i relink something

maybe he needs to come home with the FCP project created with the XDCAM transfer log ?

thank you
is that possible

thank you and sorry for my poor english

Return to posts index

Olivier Bochenek
on Aug 7, 2009 at 10:00:31 pm

my answer seem to not be posted !!?!!
thank you for the answer
i'm the editor ans i don't know where we're going with all that !!

the realisator is having a double of the medias
He is selecting parts of clips for me with XDCAM transfer, this creates new .MOV with new names... maybe we're OUT of the good procedure

is it possible for him to
1-select parts of clips
2-make a EDL (how ?) and send it to me
3-i relink his selection and edit

he tried to send me a fcp project but the clip was relates to a new .MOV made on his side

we're lost !

thank you

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Aug 9, 2009 at 3:08:32 am

Sorry Olivier

There is no means to get the logging data out of XDCAM Transfer and into FCP. What your colleague needs to be using is FCP to log the footage, not XDCAM Transfer.

Have him log directly in FCP then send you a zipped copy of the logged project file ( or an XML export of his logging bin).

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Aug 10, 2009 at 3:11:05 pm

One problem I have with XDCAM Transfer is that you lose all subclip and title information when you "remove" a source folder from the list on the left-hand side of the screen.

We use one central machine to log and rewrap footage for our multiple Mac edit stations, so using FCP to log and transfer isn't an option for us. What would be nice is to be able to insure that the information generated in XDCAM Transfer would somehow be stored in the BPAV folder somewhere so that it can be retrieved the next time the folder is added as a source in XDCAM Transfer.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]