FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Anamorphic lenses

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Cowan
Using Anamorphic lenses
on Aug 5, 2009 at 10:13:55 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone used anamorphic lenses with the EX3? And by anamorphic, i mean true 2.35 aspect ratio Cinemascope style, NOT some letterboxed Super35 method...

If so, can you outline what lenses/adaptors you used, and how was it ingested/edited?

Indie Filmmaker

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Using Anamorphic lenses
on Aug 5, 2009 at 10:32:39 pm

Would that even work? I'd guess you'd need some sort of 35mm mount adaptor first. Why not just shoot 16:9 and mask 2.35 in post. By the time you work out all of the optical funkiness needed to get an anamorphic lens onto an EX3 you'd lose the image quality benefits over a straight matte.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Cowan
on Aug 6, 2009 at 12:31:22 am

Noah,

I should've prefaced my post with the "why." My bad.

It's not about the size of the aspect ratio, it's about the quality that scope lenses give you...the way the optics handle focus, the way backgrounds go soft and elongated, the lens flare properties, all these things can't be replicated even shooting Super35 (because Super35 is a spherical format).

I prefer the optical look, it's that simple. And if i take a slight resolution hit in post, that's fine, though i don't know why shooting with an adapter and squeezing onto a 16:9 chip would result in that, as long as the NLE can successfully unsqueeze the image into a 2:35 viewing format. I think Avid does this...

Indie Filmmaker

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 6, 2009 at 1:17:12 am

I think you'd be much better off with spherical lenses and ND filters for the depth of field. Otherwise you'll be fighting multiple optical layers and issues in post.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

Glenn Cowan
on Aug 6, 2009 at 1:45:27 am

It's more than a DoF issue really. I know the difference as I've A.C.ed on anamorphic film shoots and worked in film post for a long time.

Noah, though you may be right in the long run, for now I'd prefer not debating the issue of 'what' to use instead, and proceed with my original question to the forum.

Anyone else heard if this is possible?

Indie Filmmaker

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 6, 2009 at 2:43:16 pm

Well like I said- anything is possible if you really want to go that route. I'd imagine with a PL converter for the EX3 you'll be all set to try anamorphic lenses.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]