FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX3 vs. Canon A1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lloyd Claycomb
Sony EX3 vs. Canon A1
on Aug 5, 2009 at 9:01:26 pm

Hi all,

I have 3 Canon A1s and would like to add a EX3 to the mix and eventually replace the Canons. I wish my Canons were in 1080p and took the cards, but since they don't, I'm out scouting.

Would the A1 and EX3 work good together for multi-cam work? Are the colors close enough to not make post-production color correction a nightmare?

Any thoughts from you experts out there?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony EX3 vs. Canon A1
on Aug 5, 2009 at 9:20:04 pm

The EX3 can shoot in HDV mode.
You certainly could make a picture profile in the EX that may match the A1
EX 1/2" CMOS at 1920x1080 vs 1/3" CCD at what I'm sure is a smaller pixel count for the A1 can be a significant factor when it comes to resolution, Depth of Field, Low Light Performance, rolling shutter on flashes or strobes.

I'd choose all EX3s unless there was a reason to go all A1 (and there certainly can be).

Why make all this extra work especially when you're basically "dumbing down" (negating its assets) a great camera to match three others?

Of course you can develop a style which assigns the EX3 a specific role so it's differences work to your advantage and that could be interesting. One example might be as a close up steadycam operator who can shoot in dark corners, do close ups throwing the background out of focus, get hit with the odd spot light and not get that "CCD streaking."

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Sony EX3 vs. Canon A1
on Aug 5, 2009 at 10:41:21 pm

Yeah I'd stick with what you have- EX3 with A1s is not going to be a pretty multicamera match at all. Maybe lose all the A1s and buy one EX3 and two EX1s.

Noaoh

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]