EX3 and FCP 6 workflow

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
EX3 and FCP 6 workflow
on Aug 4, 2009 at 1:05:55 am

Hi,

A little help with workflow please.

We're shooting on an EX3 and dumping files to a portable external HD at the end of every day. I copied those files to my internal media drive in my Intel Mac . They appeared in a BPAV folder along with a TAKR folder, MEDIAPRO.XML document, CUEUP.XML document and CLPR folder. Within the CLPR folder are folders for each clip. In each CLPR folder are a BIM, an XML, a PPN, and SMI and an MP4 file. I was told that the files would be converted to mov files on my HD. I haven't looked THAT hard, but they are not in the FCP project folder. Should there be mov files in addition? Maybe he was confusing mov with mp4?

I opened the files on my Media drive in clip browser. I pulled all the files to the lower window. Then I opened FCP to a new project and used the log and enter feature in FCP to import the clips into the production. Everything looks fine and the clips make it to the timeline. If this is not right, please let me know.

On our second day, I used the same portable HD at the end of the day. The new files nested in folders as described above, ended up in the same BPAV folder as the first days files. Can I use the log and enter menu in FCP and import the new files?

Is FCP using the MP4 files or are there really mov files that are somewhere else?

Thanks

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX3 and FCP 6 workflow
on Aug 4, 2009 at 1:46:56 am

Keep it SIMPLE. In ClipBrowser, set your destination in preferences. Select the folders on the left that contain your clips. You see a little brown icon on the folder. Select the ALL icon in ClipBrowser. DONE. It copies all the clips to your destination hard drive or folder within. I create a folder with the project name.

In XDCAM Transfer follow this video. When your done you use the File/Import to import the MOV files created by following the video below.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 4, 2009 at 3:00:11 am

Craig,

You must be kinesthetic. When I set preferences for my intended folder on my media drive, select the drive, open it and select all. NOTHING is "DONE."
No copying takes place. Are you leaving some step out?

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 4, 2009 at 3:02:52 am

Ah, select the ALL icon, not "command-A"

Ty

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 4, 2009 at 3:31:08 am

That's it.

I like buttons (followed by menu selections). There are far too many programs and with far too many keyboard commands. Good Mac programs have nice little pictures to click on. Good Windows programs also have nice little pictures to click on when they learned people didn't really like typing DOS commands. I like clicking on the little pictures. I like that Sony has that All button. Heck some keyboard commands are so complex it's like . . . fingering for a complex chord on a musical instrument. Bah! Humbug! Give me buttons. Sorry for tangent but I couldn't resist.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 4, 2009 at 4:38:46 am

I've never used anything but a Mac since 1986...SE to SE30, quadra 840AV etc.

Somehow, the changes in GUI have not all been sweet. A new generation of Appleites prolly.

Thanks for your help.

I notice that with this 1080P job, simple renders are taking longer. Pardon me, I'm new to FCP. Is there a way to dumb down the rendering for the monitor without losing res in the project?

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 4, 2009 at 5:03:50 am

[Ty Ford] "I notice that with this 1080P job, simple renders are taking longer."
Longer than compared to . . .?
I use the EX Easy Setups. I change the sequence rendering to Pro Res. Works fast for me on my MacPro.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 4, 2009 at 12:21:54 pm

not at my MacPro yet this AM.

Which ProRes?

THANKS!

Ty

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Aug 4, 2009 at 1:37:37 pm

Hi Ty,
How the heck are you? Just wondering: are you using a Kona card (or equivalent) for video out? That's a different Easy Setup if so.
Bob Pierce

http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory - Mac OS 10.5.5 - Quicktime 7.5.5 -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 (Final Cut 6.0.4) - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS3 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 5, 2009 at 3:10:20 am

Bob,

Dangerously close to becoming a video guy. :)

I'm just finishing an edit on a 40 min doc about what's cool about the country of Turkey. WE also did 30 and 10 cut downs. The files came in on a hard drive....PAL...what a surtprise!

16:9, 4:3, and 45 different resolutions. A real salad! on two out of four interviews, they didn't lav or boom the interviewees. Just the mic on the camera. In spite of all of this, the finished product looks a lot better than it should and learned eight years of editing in about eight weeks. Pretty fun actually.

Right now I'm in the middle of 4 days of shooting a PreViz for an indie feature. The shooter has an ex3, which I had never dealt with so I came over from the audio forum looking for some help.

So far, the files look just great, but I may have to pitch in for a real monitor to do the editing justice. It'll be a 3-4 minute piece to sell the script.

How's yerself?

Ty

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 4, 2009 at 4:06:55 pm

Arg- please consider removing the Youtube Video embed in your sig. It's interesting once, it's downright annoying multiple times in one thread.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]