FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-3 "approved" Cable and Broadcast

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Griswold
EX-3 "approved" Cable and Broadcast
on Jul 31, 2009 at 12:24:05 am

Looking to see who has approved the use of EX-3 for cable channels and broadcast. For instance the HDX-900 is approved by BBC, Discovery, National Geographic. I have read some posts saying that the EX-1/EX-3 is "silver" grade for Discovery (Gold being the F900 Sony). Looking for some real information here if you can offer it. This is to use the EX-3 for a project and want to know where this camera stands.
Being full raster 1080 I can't imagine it falls outside any quality parameters unlike for instance HDV which last I heard had a 5-10% max airtime limit for finished programs.

Thank you,
George

Return to posts index

William Mims
Re: EX-3 "approved" Cable and Broadcast
on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:26:24 am

George:
I am in the same situation so I will be watching this thread to see what the experts say such as Michael Palmer. The broadcast distributors like Discovery Channel in the past have found fault with 4:2:0 verses 4:2:2. I read a thread by Michael where he mentioned the new convergent nano flash which records the EX 3 without compressing to 4:2:0. I am currently planning a feature film and want to use EX3's. Based on what Michael stated, I don't see any way around not using the nano flash for my projects. I am wondering if there are other recorders that do the same for less money and is that saving (if that is the case) worth taking a chance putting a lot of work and money into a 'spec' project only to have it turned down because of substandard quality (imagined or real by the distributor).

Mims

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 31, 2009 at 8:54:59 am

Although not in the Palmer class of experts I can say that the BBC did an internal 'paper' on the EX cameras which they seemed to approve of with few reservations which leads one to assume that they come up to their standards.

As to a feature film I have recently had experience of observing the shooting of a feature on an EX3. They used Movie Tube to soften the image and prime 35 mm lenses to help with DOF.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
William Mims
on Jul 31, 2009 at 11:47:50 am

Michael Slowe:
One area that is also of interest for distributors is the look of your final product, and therefore the settings on these great cameras. In another thread you mentioned: Doug Jensen in their wonderful double DVD EX workshop How can I get more information on that DVD?
Thanks,

Mims

Return to posts index

cow
Michael Slowe
on Aug 1, 2009 at 10:36:33 am

William, the company that Doug Jensen has for these workshops is Vortex Media, look at http://www.VortexMedia.com

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Aug 1, 2009 at 12:35:55 pm

Michael Slowe:
I went to "Vortex" and was quite impressed when their products. I would recommend anyone viewing this thread to go to their web site. I was fortunate to have spent over twenty years in "Hollywood" honing my skills in lighting on film so I see the '3 point lighting' he mentions in advertising the booklet on "lighting for interviews". For anyone not familiar with proper head shot lighting that book is a must. I may also order that just in case I might be able to gleam another useful tip. (You never stop learning) As far as the DVD/book on the EX 3, I can't wait until it arrives and is found in my 'location' bag. I am sure it will replace my American Cinematographer Manual I relied on for so many years. Thanks for your information-most appreciated!

Mims

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Aug 1, 2009 at 12:41:07 pm

Enough Vortex chat... you are off topic.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Aug 2, 2009 at 11:50:59 am

Sorry Sir, won't do it again.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]