FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1/Steadicam Pilot LCD Issue

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Santana
EX1/Steadicam Pilot LCD Issue
on Jul 29, 2009 at 3:42:50 am

I am pleased...no that's not the right word. Euphoric, yes I am euphoric to announce that I have received my very own Steadicam Pilot AA and in the most frightening and funnest(?) 20 minutes I have had on a Tuesday day night have achieved static balance. However I've seemed to have hit a speed bump, well more like a brick wall.

I can't seem to figure out how to get an image on the Pilot's LCD. I inserted a BNC to RCA adapter to the SDI Out port but get faint static. I tried the A/V Out cables and get nothing as well, so I was hoping someone who just so happens to use the EX1 and Pilot could offer a solution.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: EX1/Steadicam Pilot LCD Issue
on Jul 30, 2009 at 11:59:50 am

Use the composite out and set menus up to down convert to SD.

I believe the Pilot has a SD monitor. And make sure to use NTSC for NTSC monitor. Or if You have PAL set to PAL.

I know this works well on my EX3 and old Stedicam Mini (Pilot's predecessor) .

Try on another SD monitor, if you can't get a SD signal out then send cam in to Sony.

If it works on another SD monitor, then I would suspect the Pilots monitor is bad. Send it a known good SD signal from another source (like a deck).

Also sometimes cables can be bad, check them.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Sep 15, 2009 at 1:38:49 pm

William: I am considering a Pilot for my EX3, now that you have had it awhile, what is your take on it? Are you pleased and was it worth spending more than the Glidecam and others? I have seen reviews saying the vest was difficult to deal with, yes, no? Do you have footage to show?

Mims

Return to posts index

Bryan Harms
on Sep 20, 2009 at 12:35:42 am

Wondering if anyone has found a working solution to this problem. I am unable to get a signal on the Steadicam monitor from the EX1 SDI out port, using the adapter and cable supplied with the Steadicam. Tried all the menu settings with no luck. The A/V out works for getting a signal on the monitor but the cable (which came with the EX1)is too long has audio outputs and throws the balance off slightly.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Sobieski
on Dec 28, 2010 at 8:54:23 pm

Similarly, when I enable SDI to standard def out only noise is visible on several screens I tested. The bnc to rca converter included with the pilot was used. AV outputs correctly.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 28, 2010 at 9:55:04 pm

I haven't used a Pilot so I can't comment on how the monitoring works but keep in mind the EX SDI out is just that, Serial Digital Interface and shouldn't be confused with Analog Composite BNC which might be what the Pilot monitor needs.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Sobieski
on Dec 28, 2010 at 10:08:20 pm

Good point. I assumed interoperability.

Any recommendations for ~10" 1080p lcds that will accept SDI and fit on a pilot?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 28, 2010 at 10:40:12 pm

Maybe these?

iKan 7" HD-SDI
http://www.ikancorp.com/productInfo.php?id=210

iKan 9" HD-SDI
http://www.ikancorp.com/productInfo.php?id=188

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Dec 29, 2010 at 5:06:44 pm

Since this thread started I did purchase a Steadicam pilot and have had no problem with the monitor on the Steadicam. I have a EX3 so I can not speak of the outputs on the EX1. On the EX3, the output from the camera that should be used is the Video out with a BNC to RCA connector, then a short RCA to RCA cable connected to the monitor.
That should solve your problem if you have the same BNC out on the EX1 as the EX3 has.

Mims

Return to posts index

Steven Davis
on Aug 26, 2014 at 7:17:25 pm

Hi,

I too have a similar issue. I have a Canon XF300, so I purchased a Steadicam HD Scout and an Atomos converter. I put it all together and have no signal via HD-SDI. The monitor will show my HDMI signal, but the sled is wired for HD-SDI. I then tested the camera-atomos conversion with a professional scope, Tektronix WFM2200 Waveform Monitor, and the Canon to Atomos conversion showed up on it. We then looped out of the Waveform Monitor to the Steadicam monitor directly, and still, no signal. Steadicam sent me another monitor and I got the same result. I borrowed another converter, a Intelix Coax2 Extender and that convesion worked, and the signal showed up on the Steadicam monitor.

Atomos sent me three converters and none of them work with the Steadicam monitor. The back of my monitor has HD-SDI in and out. Needless to say I've been trying to solve this riddle for a month or more. I thought about buying another monitor since that's one thing I can borrow around my area, especially since the conversion off the Atomos worked with the Waveform monitor.

I'm officially sending out a distress signal. I'm stumped.

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Aug 26, 2014 at 8:06:28 pm

Have you tried using the video out rather than going 'downstream' from the Atomos? [Since involved with this thread (2009, 2010) I sold my Pilot.]

Mims

Return to posts index

Steven Davis
on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:13:45 pm

The monitor does work via HDMI strait from the camera. I'm not sure what you mean video out. My options are HDMI and HD-SDI in/out and CVBS In

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]