FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Shutter speed for watersports

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Buffa
EX1 Shutter speed for watersports
on Jul 28, 2009 at 7:50:40 pm

I am new to this forum and I'm sorry if this question has been asked. I have tried to search for this topic but have not found the answer.

I have an EX1 and I shoot primarily wakeboarding in 720p60. Most of the time I am either in a chase boat or on the boat with rider in tow.

My question is has anyone used the EX1 in a similar manner and what shutter speed are they using when shooting in 60p? I haven't found a shutter speed that provides a smooth look when panning. I am looking for a good compromise between motion blur and strobing. Thanks in advance for the help.

Michael

Return to posts index

Stephen Schott
Re: EX1 Shutter speed for watersports
on Jul 29, 2009 at 1:05:06 am

Michael,
I shoot lots of stuff that is ALL fast motion (horses running), and at first I was working with as slow a shutter speed as I could. Especially when I go for the "slow mo" I wanted it as smooth as possible. Now I find that, although it isn't "smooth" I crank the shutter up quite a bit. People really enjoy seeing the actual dirt clod flying, or in your case the wake and water spray and being able to truly see the "shape" of them. What I WAS working with was 1/100 max, now I work at trying to get 1/500.

Stephen

When you've got family... everything else is extra

Return to posts index

Darrell Beck
on Jul 31, 2009 at 1:00:02 am

Opinions are really going to vary on this one.

Personally, I want my work to appear as the human eye sees things. This means motion blur with a slow shutter speed (1/60th). That is all I ever shoot in.

I also like nice slow motion. That means shooting in 60i instead of 30p.

Darrell

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:22:11 am

[Darrell Boeck] "I also like nice slow motion. That means shooting in 60i instead of 30p. "

It all depends on how you're doing the slowmo and what's your target. 60p with give you the same temporal resolution and higher horizontal resolution. Each frame is 720 lines progressive where as when you shoot 1080i60 each field is 540 lines (Interlace is 2 alternating 540 line fields to equal 1080 frame).

Of course if you want to shoot in camera slow which is BETTER than doing it in the computer you can shoot 720p30 for normal and then shoot 720p30/60 for slow mo at 1/2 speed.

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Aug 4, 2009 at 10:00:35 pm

Michael,

My suggestion is that you perform an experiment, and then give us your findings.

Try 1/60 for 10 seconds, double it for 10 seconds, and so on. Then compare the various looks that each one gives you. There is no right answer.

Having shot waterskiing before, I can tell you that at 1/60 you get nice white waterspray. At 1/500 or above you get water droplets for the spray.

John Lenihan

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]