FORUMS: list search recent posts

chroma key

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
chroma key
on Jul 28, 2009 at 10:11:23 am

I have a lot of chroma keying on location coming up. I've heard the EX3 does a great job with keying, and wonder whether the EX1 is as good. I'm looking to buy, use for three months, and sell, so retaining value is "key," and I think I'm more likely to find a used EX1 than a used EX3 right now.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: chroma key
on Jul 28, 2009 at 3:54:53 pm

I came from DV/DVCAM, so the ease of keying XDCAM EX footage was especially joyful. Earlier this year I did a seven minute video that consisted entirely of a "coverflow effect" - you know, that effect in iTunes and other Apple apps where you flip through a series of album covers, etc. - that was full of chroma-keyed squares shot on an EX-1 and EX-3.

Complicating this project was the fact that these clips were of kids at a camp, fair, or something, shot "on the fly" with only a standup BLUE background and minimal lighting. This is the kind of thing that would have had me jumping off a cliff with DV. Complicating further was that they needed to keyed over solid color backgrounds. There was no hope of using the background to conceal jittery edges on the keys.

This was almost one-click keying in Keylight. Since I was doing the entire video in After Effects to automate the Coverflow effect, it was easy to just key the clips over color before placing them. Only one lady, wearing a turquoise-colored shirt, needed to be keyed in three pieces. Even that went quickly. This was NOT well-lit footage, either. Stuff I've keyed that is lit well has been even easier.

I have never keyed film, 2k, 4k, or uncompressed HD. If it's easier than this, I can't imagine how. Consider that we're shooting with cameras costing under ten grand, and you're looking at the best chroma-key money ever spent.

Cf

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jul 28, 2009 at 4:08:37 pm

[Bob Cole] " I've heard the EX3 does a great job with keying, and wonder whether the EX1 is as good"
The only difference between those two cameras is in the lens. CMOS and the processor are 100% the same.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jul 29, 2009 at 2:15:14 am

[Rafael Amador] "The only difference between those two cameras is in the lens. CMOS and the processor are 100% the same."

The size of the chips differs, right?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 29, 2009 at 4:00:23 am

They're both 1/2" CMOS 1920x1080 chips. No difference. Same exact chips.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jul 31, 2009 at 10:09:57 pm

They added the capability to change lenses and took away the rear-most eyepiece from the EX-1 and put an eyepiece over the LCD panel...

Some of the controls are configured a bit differently as well, but yes...they're the same core imaging system.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]