FORUMS: list search recent posts

Restore media error EX1 MxR

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Restore media error EX1 MxR
on Jul 27, 2009 at 4:28:47 pm

I have two MxR adapters and two new Transcend class six cards. They are being used by a friend. He sent me an email saying he keeps getting the restore media prompt. He says he has to shut down the EX1 to do this. Any idea why he keeps getting the error? I warned him about the record light going to green before recording again. Could it be a bad card? He says he has not lost any clips. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Restore media error EX1 MxR
on Jul 27, 2009 at 4:38:05 pm

It could be he doesn't understand about waiting until the light turns green again.
It could be counterfeit cards.
It could be the cards are too slow (bad cards).

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Jul 27, 2009 at 4:42:34 pm

Craig Seeman wrote:

"It could be he doesn't understand about waiting until the light turns green again."
Quite possible

"It could be counterfeit cards."
They came from CompUSA.

"It could be the cards are too slow (bad cards)."
That's possible. I just got them and have only done basic testing on them.

He needs to use them tomorrow, so I'm nervous about that.

Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 27, 2009 at 7:59:54 pm

One should thoroughly test BEFORE using especially if it's a critical/paying work situation.[Bob Mark]

"They came from CompUSA. "
I don't know about the sources of the post bankruptcy CompUSA.

[Bob Mark] "He needs to use them tomorrow, so I'm nervous about that. "
He needs to TEST them and KNOW how to use them by that time then.

Return to posts index

Nigel Ellis
on Jul 27, 2009 at 8:56:29 pm

It could be that he is shooting 720/60P or overcranking to something else. Need more info on what he is trying to do.

Nigel Ellis

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 27, 2009 at 9:26:06 pm

720p60 wouldn't have any impact all HQ is 35mbps VBR regardless of frame size or rate.

Overcranking is another story. One should not overcrank with them as that can certainly result in Media Error issues although the exact frame rate point and duration can vary by card.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jul 27, 2009 at 11:19:42 pm

If you go to Transcend's website, you can verify the legitimacy of your cards by submitting the serial numbers.

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: Restore media error EX1 MxR/
on Jul 31, 2009 at 1:38:46 pm

I did some tests yesterday. I was using MxR with Transcend 16GB class 6 cards. One of the cards had media needs to be restored errors about every fifth recording. I pulled the adapter and reseated the SDHC card and have had no errors since (knock on wood). Even when I had errors the clip was there.

BTW, my record light goes to green after only 4-5 sec. with the Transcend card. My SxS go green in about 2-3 sec.

Bob

Return to posts index

George Dombrowski
on Jan 13, 2010 at 10:39:54 pm

I just bought 2 transcend Class 6 16 gb cards and using them for the first time in e-film reader in the ex1 with firmware 1.11

Every 2 to 3 minutes the error stops the recording. I did check and I do have authentic transcend chips. I got two e-film readers too and nothing is reliable except the Sony SxS 8gb cards.

chec@cox.net

What have the rest of you done? Will transcend replace cards with good stock?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 13, 2010 at 11:43:48 pm

Don't use Transcend. They're unreliable from build to build.
ATP ProMax, Sandisk Extreme (Class 10)
Seem to be the reliable cards currently.

I'm in the process of testing the Sandisk Extreme cards (16GB) and they're rock solid. Two cards in camera, recorded two hours straight through without an issue.

Return to posts index

George Dombrowski
on Jan 13, 2010 at 11:52:17 pm

It's such a let down. The Australian company, e-films, that makes the MxR card, endorses the Transcend cards as good. And their USA dealer in Boston sells the Transcend the same.

Any chance that anyone has held Transcend responsible for delivering a true-Class 6 card.

Return to posts index

George Dombrowski
on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:14:29 am

After just having this EX1 for a week, I am disappointed to see it just stop recording and displaying a Media(B) error message in the VF. There is a good card in (A) with 13 minutes left on it...WHY doesn't it not continue recording on the alternate card upon error???

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:28:38 am

It's probably waiting for you to do a Media Restore Execute.

The problem with many of the SDCH manufacturers is that they seem to change the manufacturing process but don't reliable the cards. The Class ratings are so broad that they can cut corners, still meet the Class spec, but fall below what the EX needs.

I have two Sandisk Ultra II Class 2 (YES CLASS 2) cards I got a year ago and have never had an error. I wouldn't get the Ultra cards today though. They've changed their manufacturing process.

Return to posts index

Lachlan Fletcher
on Jun 16, 2010 at 12:20:46 am

Hi All,

We've just had a restore media happen on one of our cards that has been used before with no problems but it wont restore the card. Gives the error 'Cannot Restore'. It was shot on an EX-1 in 720p at 25. It wasn't over-cranked. May have been a hasty finger on the record button though but not sure.

Does anyone know how I can restore this card. Ive tried copying it to a hard drive to put on a different card then try to restore but it wont copy completely. It gives an error. Seems it only wants to copy the files that are ok.

It has an interview on it that im keen to get back.

Many Thanks
Lachy

Return to posts index

Lachlan Fletcher
on Jun 21, 2010 at 2:21:27 am

Hi All,

We've just had a restore media happen on one of our cards that has been used before with no problems but it wont restore the card. Gives the error 'Cannot Restore'. It was shot on an EX-1 in 720p at 25. It wasn't over-cranked. May have been a hasty finger on the record button though but not sure.

Does anyone know how I can restore this card. Ive tried copying it to a hard drive to put on a different card then try to restore but it wont copy completely.

Just one more thing for me to add... The best cards I have found out of all that ive tested (which is a lot) is the Sandisck Video HD 16GB. This card I have found to overcrank successfully at 48fps with only 1 issue after about maybe 2 hours of roll time ( not in succession though ). It is totally fine to do on anything you can re do.

I still haven't solved my issue regarding the restore media error message as described above.

Lachy

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Jun 21, 2010 at 1:15:40 pm

I mentioned this before and I don't know if this will help you, but it worked for me one time. With the adapter in the camera I pushed the card and released it from the adapter and then reseated it. I could then restore the media. Good luck

Bob

Return to posts index

Lachlan Fletcher
Re: store media error EX1 MxR
on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:33:33 pm

Hey Bob. Thanks so much I'll try it out. Fingers crossed.

Lachy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]