FORUMS: list search recent posts

System Requirements for Editing XDCAM EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rod Deogrades
System Requirements for Editing XDCAM EX3
on Jul 24, 2009 at 8:54:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

Starting to edit a Doc Feature shot on XDCAM EX3. Have edited a few short promos already with what has been shot and everything seems to be working well. My question is can anyone see any issues with my set-up when I begin long-form editing and my project becomes bigger. I don't know if I should be upgrading to a faster Intel Mac and if I don't, what the consequences could be. Can anyone offer their experience/expertise?

My main edit system is as follows:
Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
5.5 GB DDR SDRAM
OSX 10.4.11
FCP 6.0.4
Monitoring Picture & Sound via ATI Radeon 9600 Pro > Matrox MXO > Samsung HD 1080p
Media are on FW800 drives.

I have an assistant station as well:
Dual 2.3GHz PowerPC G5
3.5 GB DDR SDRAM
OSX 10.4.11
FCP 6.0.4

Thanks in advance for the words of wisdom.
Rod

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: System Requirements for Editing XDCAM EX3
on Jul 25, 2009 at 5:23:09 pm

Um yes you should be upgrading to an Intel Mac two years ago... But definitely now as Final Cut Studio is Intel Mac only so if you want to continue to stay current that would be the only option.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Rod Deogrades
on Jul 25, 2009 at 5:38:30 pm

Thanks Noah.

Yes, I do understand the need to chase the technology and stay current. I am just at a budgetary crossroads presently so I need to know if I can cut this documentary using what I have now without any dire consequences. We have as part of our arsenal a MacBook Pro to handle transferring the XDCAM footage from the cards to the system. But strictly as an edit system, is what I have workable? And if not, why? RAM? Software limitations? etc.

Best,
Rod

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 25, 2009 at 10:52:11 pm

I was able to edit EX on my Dual 2.3GHz G5 for the first few months but I'm thinking that the MacBookPro, also being an Intel Core Duo might make that a better system with Firewire 800 drive or eSata. Given that time is money even if it only means time keeps you from your paying work, rendering EX on G5 will hurt your income.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 25, 2009 at 11:08:40 pm

Sure it's totally workable as long as you're cool sticking with FCP 6 and earlier.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

rene hazekamp
on Jul 26, 2009 at 9:39:03 am

Hi Rod

It's workable as long as you stick to cuts only, no effects . I've edited 25 minutes programs (25 fps 1080p)
on a double g5- 1.8- 2 GB ram. No problem, though the online was done elsewhere (pal sdi-digibeta).
Actually there are some realtime effects you can still use and scaling as well)

A bottleneck might be your drive system, but esata is only slightly better if it's not a big raid system.
Another thing is memory leaking. FCP will become slower and slower after editing 5 or 6 hours, both intel and powerpc systems have this problem with fcp 6.0.4. (Version 7, I don't know).
But after working six hours it's time to have a break anyway, So restart and smoke a sigaret (or whatever)

So, it's workable as long as you know what your doing and don't need a ton of effects.

René Hazekamp
Portfolio http://www.renehazekamp.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 27, 2009 at 1:42:56 pm

Right now we're editing on my 8-core Intel mac, a quad-core G5, dual G-5, and a Macbook Pro. Obviously my Octo does the best job of working with the footage, but depending on the complexity of the edit you may squeeze some life out of a dual G5 if necessary.

Cf

Our President spent six months picking out a dog for his kids, but wants to force us into socialized medicine by the end of the week!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]