FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS 16GB CARD only 75% capacity why?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Din noor
SxS 16GB CARD only 75% capacity why?
on Jul 23, 2009 at 10:06:20 am

hi,
what might be the reason, my capacity of the card can only be recorded up to 75% of its total capacity?
Use it for advertisement shoot indoor only ..Is the card faulty? pls advise..
thks:

Din

be calm & patience.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: SxS 16GB CARD only 75% capacity why?
on Jul 23, 2009 at 1:20:37 pm

I just pulled out a fairly full card and the total capacity is 15.06 GB.

THe only thing that could have happened that I can think of is the card was ejected during a recording and has damaged a portion of the memory.

I did this with an SDHC card early on when I didn't realize the recording to the card was actually still happening up to 10 seconds after I pressed the stop button. The card now only has 42 mins available but still works.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: SxS 16GB CARD only 75% capacity why?
on Jul 23, 2009 at 4:26:58 pm

Perhaps this has something to do with the term "gigabytes." For instance, a blank DVD comes from the manufacturer with the number "4.7GB" printed on it - but that's using 1,000 as the basis for a kilobyte. Computers, however, use 1,024 as the basis for a kilobyte, and they only get 4.3GB on that DVD disc. Consider that the discrepancy of .4GB is 400MB. Not all of that is due to the base-1000 problem; there are also parts of the disc/card dedicated to directory/TC structure and stuff. If one wanted to multiply by 3.04 (16GB claimed capacity divided by 4.7GB claimed capacity) you're looking at a 1.2GB discrepancy.

That's just my layman's attempt at a possible explanation. I'm just saying it may be a little premature to assume you have a bad card.

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]