FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX WorkFLOW FCP2

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Farace
XDCAM EX WorkFLOW FCP2
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:31:11 am

I have read some of your posts on converting XDCAM EX-1/3 to SD in FCP2. I have searched the forums but cant seem to find the complete workflow that would produce good results and convert in a reasonable amount of time, which is unlike Ken Stone's to DV instructions. I saw a few notes where Craig suggested not converting to DV but uncompressed 8-Bit? I tried using the Pro res but found the conversion long and file huge and the video didn't look so good. Can you point me to a post with complete instructions that will work well? I am close to a decision on a camera and have heard some editors complain about Sony's GOP codec. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: XDCAM EX WorkFLOW FCP2
on Jul 22, 2009 at 3:05:20 am

I do all my editing in Final Cut, using the ProRes codec. Export final edit to a file. Import to iMovie. Share with iDVD.

Not the choice of many, but down and dirty. Looks fine to me. I'm sure there are better choices.

Brent Dunn
Creative Director
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: XDCAM EX WorkFLOW FCP2
on Jul 24, 2009 at 6:19:32 pm

I've been using After Effects to do any slo-mo or downconvert work. It's an application designed to do things like that. Final Cut Pro really isn't; it does a poor job at both, in my opinion. I've always been of the opinion that you use your NLE for cutting and transitions, and leave the effects to programs that are designed for it (and therefore, more likely to be good at it).

As far as editors complaining, I think I'll just keep my mouth shut on that one. I haven't had any problems with XDCAM EX since we migrated to it. Besides, most complaints are a symptom of the complainer (that doesn't just go for codecs!).

Cf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]