FORUMS: list search recent posts

Libec Zoom Controller Blues

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Crowe
Libec Zoom Controller Blues
on Jul 20, 2009 at 10:16:14 pm

Hi Folks,

I recently purchased a Libec zoom controller. Had it flown half way around the world because none of my local suppliers had it in stock. Plug the bugger into the EX3 and it slow zooms out to the widest part of the lens without me touching the thumb control.

Libec customer service tell me Sony have changed some spec in the newer EX3s which have made the libec controllers do crazy things when plugged into the lens. Hmm, call me niave but surely it's someone's job to make sure shit is still compatible before you sell it to people as being compatible.

Of course this wouldn't be half as frustarting if I could just pop down the road and change it - arrgh!

Anyway my rant is over. My question is:

Is anyone using or know of another manufacturer who does a quality zoom controller for the newer EX3?

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Libec Zoom Controller Blues
on Jul 21, 2009 at 12:29:04 am

I have these Libec lens controllers and I haven't heard of this issue. What is the serial number and firmware version of your camera? And are you sure you have it switched to the F (Fujinon) setting?

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:00:39 am

Hi Michael

thanks for your response. I don't have the camera with me right now. But I'll get back to you with the serial #. How do I know what firmware version I have? So you reckon there could be a firmware update for this?

Hmm, surely Libec wouldn't put their hand up for a issue if there isn't one?

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 21, 2009 at 3:09:52 am

It is just a thought for the firmware, push the Menu+Cancel+Select all at the same time and this will open a few more sub-menus. It seems like I may have noticed this same issue for a while last year but it stopped and it could have been from the firmware update that fixed it. The Libec needs to be set to the F for it to work properly.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:12:17 am

I see.

The Libec has been set to F and actually works for the most part ie it zooms in and out etc. It just zooms out when not being touched. I'll try a firmware update and see what happens.

Thanks again for your help Michael.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jul 22, 2009 at 3:11:40 am

I use Varizoom VZ Rock for my EX 1. It works fine. I also have Manfrotto's for my other cameras. They are very smooth. I know they have a version for the EX. Sorry that doesn't help you with your problem, but if you return it, there are other choices.

Brent Dunn
Creative Director
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Moustafa Allouche
on Jul 30, 2009 at 1:14:38 am

Hi Paul,

Have you solved the problem yet? Is it a Sony issue or a Libec issue?

I am having the same problem. Sony EX3- FIRMWARE 1.04_0084...

Return to posts index

Matheus Siqueira
on Aug 4, 2009 at 8:59:12 am

I have three Sony EX3 and I'm having the same problem with two of them. All of them are Sony EX3- FIRMWARE 1.04_0084. Making some tests if I change the lens of the only camera thats working with the Libec controller it starts to show the problem of always zooming out.

Any one found a solution for this already? Would take the controllers to UK if I wasn't shooting in Beirut right now.

Return to posts index

Moustafa Allouche
on Aug 4, 2009 at 10:51:51 am

I recieved a reply from libec USA. Very helpful as the distributor in Australia is very rude and unwilling to answer any questions as I bought the controller while on a shoot. Anyway they said the problem is the controller. Sony has made a change to the cameras. They said they are doing their best to fix the issue and the only solution they can offer right now is a refund through the place of purchase. The funny part is it worked on another ex3 just not mine. Not sure what the firmware was on the other camera but it was fairly new.

Return to posts index

Peter Mabery
on Aug 4, 2009 at 11:20:58 pm

I had the same problem, returned the unit to the Australian distributor, waited 2 weeks for the new one and same problem! Obviously neither the Sony camera dealer or the Libec distributer never actually tested the unit. Brought a Beebob instead which seems a bit jerky on low speed zooms.

Return to posts index

Moustafa Allouche
on Aug 5, 2009 at 1:37:57 am

Australian distributor is hopeless. This is the reply from Libec USA.

These guys have awesome controllers but nothing that works with the ex3 for now. This is a reply from them

"At this time we do not have a zoon controller that will work with the PMW-EX3 camera. Our engineers are working really hard to trying to make the necessary changes to Have one available as soon as possible,

Please check our web site http://www . libecsales . com periodically since we will announce it as soon as we have Have it available."

I think it is the Job of the Distributors to notify the re-sellers.

I still have not bought a new controller. Thinking about going manfrotto.

Return to posts index

Maurice Bouri
on Aug 10, 2009 at 9:27:23 pm

@ Matheus

I couldn't help seeing you are shooting in beirut - I'm looking for a 2 camera set up (ex3's) for a five day shoot starting 31st august until 4th september in Lebanon. (pilot show)

Will you still be in town?

Regards

Maurice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]