FORUMS: list search recent posts

render trouble after converting xdcam to .mov for FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Chumley
render trouble after converting xdcam to .mov for FCP
on Jul 20, 2009 at 4:11:27 pm

Hi there,

I'm editing footage from the EX1 in FCP 5 on a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbookpro. I was unable to get XDCAM Transfer software to run correctly on this machine due to missing Apple Professional Codecs, so used another program (ffmpeg) to transfer the XDCAM mpegs to .mov files. In the process I down-converted (if that's the right term) from 1920x1280 to 960x540 because I thought it might make work-flow and sending files easier later. Now I'm not so sure...

These files (mpeg4, 23.98, square pixels) import easily into FCP, and load into my sequence, but require rendering (video and audio red line) and re-rendering when I try to play or work with them. I have been through all the FCP settings, adjusted the compression rates, made sure all the info between the clips and the sequences matches.

Can anyone suggest something else I can do to get around this slow rendering problem (other than get another version of FCP, which I can't afford right now), or do I need to do a whole new round of file conversion? If so, what can I do to avoid this problem?

First time posting here. Hope I got all the details you need.

Thank you,

Kate

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: render trouble after converting xdcam to .mov for FCP
on Jul 20, 2009 at 4:49:42 pm

Upgrade to FCP 6 (Final Cut Studio 2). When using $6000 camera one should spend the $500 or so to upgrade to the proper NLE to use it.

If you MUST use ffmpeg your settings really depend on what your target is. If you need HD frame sizes that's what you'll have to do. I really don't think this is the right way to go given the upgrade price to FCS2 and waisted time with workarounds for FCP5 (and time IS money).

Return to posts index

Kate Chumley
on Jul 20, 2009 at 5:14:54 pm

Thanks for the guidance. I see that this way is tedious and wrong...but for the moment it's what I've got. Best,

Kate

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 20, 2009 at 7:28:47 pm

Kate, How many clips/cards of material do you need converted? Where are you located? It would be very simple to find someone with the latest FCS2 and rewrap the files as Quicktimes then convert them using Mpeg Stream Clip to DVC Pro HD.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 20, 2009 at 7:35:34 pm

I think DVCProHD might be another one of those codecs you need FCS2 for. I tried to browse around some footage an agency sent us last week on an iMac that doesn't have Studio installed, and it didn't have the codec.

I see your quandary, Kate...but you really do need to have Final Cut Studio 2. The only other option is going to be headache after headache after headache.

Cf

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jul 20, 2009 at 7:48:04 pm

"I think DVCProHD might be another one of those codecs you need FCS2 for. "
No it was around in FC5, however she does need an NLE that supports the EX codec with this is her camera.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Kate Chumley
on Jul 20, 2009 at 8:30:17 pm

Thanks again to you both.

Kate

Return to posts index

Kate Chumley
on Jul 20, 2009 at 8:28:57 pm

That's true and I'm in New York so I really should have thought of it (!). Thank you for the reply.

Kate

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]