FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage Transfer Inquiries (SxS and Mxr)

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Santana
Footage Transfer Inquiries (SxS and Mxr)
on Jul 18, 2009 at 2:54:20 am

Hello everyone, I have been an active visitor to CreativeCow (mostly for the wealth of After Effects tutorials) but have deemed it necessary to begin a more interactive relationship with this site and the professionals that frequent it. I look forward to making good use of the insight I will surely receive and maybe in time be able to offer some of my own.

Now that we have the introductions out of the way, on to my dilemma! I have just invested in the PMW-EX1 along with four MxR Expresscard adapters which allow you to use SDHC (in my case 16gb Class6 Transcend) cards in lieu of the SxS Expresscard. I am new to the world of digital media and I wish to know if it is possible to transfer footage from these cards to my tower using a USB SDHC reader? If so, what steps should I take to ensure my workflow transfer is successful?

Also, I would like to hear about how you all choose to transfer your footage and what recommendations you might have for a tower user running Windows XP64.

I would be grateful for any advice in this matter.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
William Mims
Re: Footage Transfer Inquiries (SxS and Mxr)
on Jul 18, 2009 at 4:55:37 am

William:
I too have just started to post here. It is a great site and there are a lot of guys that really know their stuff. I'm an old film guy that went video after years of splicing film on a Movieola. (You are probably too young to know what that is) So all of this video-computer jargon is mostly Greek to me. My Sony SxS cards won't tranfer to my Vegas program. My MxR Expresscard adapters with 16gb Class6 Transcend cards will and I cut a nice church promo with the Transcend card. Vegas is a sweet and awesome platform compared to a decade ago when I sold my edit bay in L.A. in '97 and got out of the business for awhile. Now back in the game, the Sony Vegas has replaced my sound board, Grass Valley graphics, linear edit computer and primitive FX equipment, not to mention my Waveform and Vector scopes, monitors and an unbelievable number of cables that went everywhere. The graphics (I guess they call them 'titles' these days) are really quite amazing and simple.
Anyway welcome aboard for my two cents (as I feel like a guest with all these experts) and I will be waiting for an answer to your post which is the same question I have.

Mims

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
enrique orozco
on Jul 18, 2009 at 5:47:36 pm

Both SxS and SDHC cards holds a BVAP folder with files that can be transferred to your system as any group of files... I have Vegas 8 and my best way is to use Sony Clip Browser to transfer the cards content to your HD (with CRC check recommended by the experts) and then "export" as mxf for NLE to be recognized by Vegas (seems that Vegas 9 can read directly the files without any conversion)..... You can even "drag & drop" files to your system from the cards without clip browser...(not recommended way...)... For my 16 Gig SDHC cards I use a simple USB adapter and when transferring from the SxS cards I simply connect my camera with an USB cable to my system...

The key is to keep each card on its own folder (named as you want) and inside its corresponding BVAP folder; do not mix or do anything inside the BVAP folders.... maybe you can later "re-organize" your clips but only knowing some Sony Clip Browser operations....

Good luck

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

William Santana
on Jul 19, 2009 at 1:51:07 am

Ahh the guillotine, I have fond memories of editing with it, that and the huge editing tables that run the film through a small viewfinder. (I forget what they're called.)

Excellent Enrique! I'll apply your methods upon filming some test footage. My EX1 came with a CD which I assume holds the clip browser... Unfortunately my CD drive is on the fritz. Does Sony by any chance offer it online and if so would anyone extend the link to me? ( I want to make sure I'm downloading the proper program.)

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Craig Seeman
on Jul 19, 2009 at 4:25:02 am

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/resource.downloads

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
William Mims
on Jul 20, 2009 at 3:25:18 am

They were called: a Steenbeck or Kem table ( K.-E.-M.) I actually preferred the Movieola. The Steenbeck had a lot of torque and would snap your footage if you made a sloppy tape splice or had a small tear in your film.

Mims

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]