FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC or PAL?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Dolan
NTSC or PAL?
on Jul 16, 2009 at 2:32:24 am

Sorry for the cross-post... I posted the following in the Adobe Premiere Pro forum but now I'm not sure it belongs there;

I anticipate a move to Beijing this fall for at least 6 months to a year, which is complicating a decision on the purchase of a new camera. I'm basically set on the Sony PMW-EX1 because of its features and price point but I'm debating the formats. I expect to come back in a year or two, so I still want to be able to shoot NTSC when I return. I read a few threads here which indicated NTSC to PAL conversion is fairly easy with Canopus' Procoder.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: NTSC or PAL?
on Jul 16, 2009 at 3:12:40 am

EX shoots both NTSC and PAL compatible (Those terms are a bit different in the HD world). It's default depends on where purchased but all the cameras handle both compatible frame rates.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 16, 2009 at 2:12:43 pm

Second that, now you just select NTSC or PAL in a menu item when you're shooting. No conversion necessary, if you have that setting properly configured. Yay!

Cf

Return to posts index

Chris Dolan
on Jul 16, 2009 at 2:54:48 pm

No kidding? Of all the features on this camera, I didn't know it could shoot both NTSC and PAL. Wow, that makes this purchase a slam dunk.

Thanks for the help.

Chris Dolan

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Jul 16, 2009 at 9:13:10 pm

You can only shoot in HD with the EX cameras, so you have the selection capability to select from 60i (30p and associated rates) NTSC 'area' such as USA, Canada etc or the 50i (25p rate) PAL 'area' such as Europe, Australia and other parts of the world and an obscure 24p, the film like rate. PAL & NTSC are standard definition formats.

Strictly speaking, the camera does not record in PAL or NTSC, as is is strictly an HD camera although there are less than useful SD composite & s-video outputs, which in my opinion should never be used for serious recordings.

The worldwide capability aspect is another wonderful bang for bucks feature of the EX camera. You are set wherever you may be in the world.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]