FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shoulder Support for EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teresa Brown
Shoulder Support for EX3
on Jul 15, 2009 at 5:44:03 pm

Any recommendations for an EX3 shoulder support? As a petite lady, the weight of the EX3 is restricting its use to a tripod. I went with the EX3 since it was allegedly more manageable than the EX1 off tripod.

I would typically shoot lots of panned and angled hand held - so the camera is actually limiting the usable footage I'm able to get & restricting shot creativity. Really don't want a belt set up... need something that transitions quickly between tripod, shoulder mount and allow ground/floor level shots. Don't want to purchase something that will be useless.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Shoulder Support for EX3
on Jul 15, 2009 at 5:53:13 pm

More specific to EX1 but many of the companies in this post also make EX3 shoulder support.
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/865744

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Jul 15, 2009 at 6:46:18 pm

Recently I've heard more about the Easyrig, which seems especially popular with people doing reality shows with a lot of hand held video. There was an article in the last few weeks about a woman in Europe who shot a year long documentary with an camera and 35mm lens adapter, retty heavy and unwieldy, but she said the rig worked for her.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 15, 2009 at 7:52:02 pm

This
http://www.easyrig.com/

I wasn't quite happy with the footage I've seen. It's sort of "not quite steady cam."
It reminds me of what a steady cam operator would do after a few drinks. It looks a bit smoother than shoulder mount but that look is something I just can't get used to. I'd rather see shoulder or a good steady cam. The "in betweeness" of the look kinda makes it look like a bad steady cam operator.

They kind burry the video clips on their site and the seem like product demos rather than actual footage shot.
http://www.easyrig.com/download.html

Return to posts index

Chuck Farace
on Jul 16, 2009 at 4:16:22 am

Craig,

I have read some of your posts on converting XDCAM EX-1/3 to SD in FCP2. I have searched the forums but cant seem to find the complete workflow you suggested, which is unlike Ken Stone's to DV instructions. Can you point me to a post with complete instructions that will work well? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Atticus Culver-Rease
on Jul 16, 2009 at 2:10:19 am

I've had a hard time finding one that I'm happy with and am probably going to end up buying a custom rig that another DP I know had fabricated.

I used the Easyrig once shooting with an Aaton XTR-prod and liked it a lot, but I haven't tried it with the EX3. To me the Easyrig was pretty much the same as shooting handheld normally, just with some of the weight taken off my shoulder and put on my hips. But I don't think it would work quite as well with the EX3 since that camera isn't designed to actually sit on your shoulder, so with the Easyrig I imagine it would just be kind of floating out in front of me. It doesn't seem like I'd have as much control that way as with a real shoulder mount camera.

There's another option out there that a couple of vendors in India and China seem to be selling for cheap which people are calling the "El Cheapo" solution (google "el cheapo shoulder mount" and you should find threads about it). It's actually pretty decent for the price, and I like it more than most of the other options I've tried, but it's obviously not that well made. On the other end of the spectrum are the Zacuto rigs, which I haven't tried, but if they're anything like their other products I'm sure they're very well made although really expensive.

The other options I've seen but not gotten my hands on are one that Red Rock makes, and a few different options I saw on filmtools.com.

I'm surprised there's not a better solution out there yet because it certainly seems like there's a market for one.

Return to posts index

Sivarajah Kanesananthan
on Oct 27, 2009 at 9:28:51 am

Hi there,

I know this is quite a late reply, especially it being October.

Have you heard of Anton Bauer's Stasis Flex?

I have been using it and I find it really handy. I use it for like 5 hours straight and it really relieves the stress on my hands.

It basically transforms your handheld camera into a shoulder mount camera.

AND looking ahead, before anyone comments that the camera is mounted directly to the mount and that makes it troublesome to transfer the camera from the mount to the tripod. Get 2 x Manfrotto Quick Release Adapters (357 Pro Quick Release Adapter with 357PL Plate).

You just mount one adapter onto the Stasis Flex and the other onto your tripod. That way you only need to use one base plate on the camera.

Oh yes and invest in the Anton Bauer eGripz too.

Hope this helps!!

Return to posts index

Lucian Evans
on Jul 16, 2009 at 9:30:08 am

Hi Teresa

I really like the look of this.

http://www.vfgadgets.com/grip-camera/ex3-heavy-duty-base-plate-system

Lucian

Return to posts index

john lenihan
on Jul 19, 2009 at 4:52:12 pm

I really like the look of the one Lucian showed.

Has anyone tried it?

John

John Lenihan

LeniCam Video Productions

Return to posts index

Ben Silberfarb
on Jul 31, 2009 at 8:38:48 pm

I have the VFgadget "heavy duty base plate system". It is very well made (milled aluminum) and provides for a lot of adaptability (addition of lens support systems, batteries, etc). As a shoulder support system, it still leaves one feeling a bit cramped with the right arm bent tightly and close to the shoulder. It appears that the manufacturer could remedied this by offering a longer shoulder plate - which could be easily replace by existing owners. I may give them a call about this. Overall this is a high quality system and the shoulder support is adequate.

Ben

PMW-EX3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]