FORUMS: list search recent posts

NO CODEC error message in XDCam Transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heinrich Dahms
NO CODEC error message in XDCam Transfer
on Jul 14, 2009 at 4:46:21 pm

Hi All,
This weekend I filmed an event on my EX1 and filled my 2x8GB and 2x16GB cards several times over - all clips good. I also recorded some footage on my Sony 60GB harddisk, but when I try to import those clips to FCP via XDCam Transfer, I get an error report: 'No Codec'. This is the first time I have really used the hard disk and it's worrying, because there was no signal that things were going wrong when recording or in ShotPut when I backed up.
1. Is anyone familiar with this problem?
2. Is there a workaround or a way of fixing it so I can still use the clips?

I'd really appreciate you advice as soon as possible, as I need to show the material to my client.
Thanks in advance!
Heinrich Dahms
Heinrich Dahms
BUZZMEDIA NETWORK

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: NO CODEC error message in XDCam Transfer
on Jul 14, 2009 at 5:08:19 pm

I would mount the drive back on the camera and it should tell you it needs to restore the media, go ahead and restore and it should be fixed.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Heinrich Dahms
on Jul 14, 2009 at 10:45:54 pm

Thx Michael, will give it a bash.
best,
Heinrich

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 14, 2009 at 5:12:42 pm

XDCAM Transfer is using the codec from Final Cut Pro install.
FCP needs to be 6.0.2 and up (currently at 6.0.6).
There have been cases of FCP being at a version that should have the codec but doesn't.

You mention using SxS as well as the Sony hard drive. Can I assume you have no issue with SxS?
Have you copied the BPAV to another hard drive with ClipBrowser first?

You REALLY should copy BPAV first and archive them as they are your camera masters. If you're going straight into FCP with re-wrap to MOV then you are tossing your BPAV masters and that's very very very bad practice IMHO.

If the issue is ONLY with the Sony hard drive then use Clip Browser and copy to another hard drive first and test with with.

Return to posts index

Heinrich Dahms
on Jul 14, 2009 at 10:59:16 pm

Hey Craig,
I have no problems with SxS. I have FCP version 6.06. I use ShotPut Pro to back up the BPAVs straight from the cards and 60 GB hard disk to two external drives (I use ShotPut instead of Clip Browser).
I then import to FCP using XDCam Transfer from inside FCP (are you saying this is bad practice?).

Not all the clips on the 60GB hard disk showed the NO CODEC error - only the first few, which I recorded on Day 1 - the rest that I recorded subsequently were fine.

THx in advance,
Heinrich Dahms

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 14, 2009 at 11:39:38 pm

[Heinrich Dahms] "(I use ShotPut instead of Clip Browser).
I then import to FCP using XDCam Transfer from inside FCP (are you saying this is bad practice?).
"

That's good. I thought you were coming from Sony drive before copying with CRC On (as ShotPut does also).

XDCAM Transer has a File/Fetch Metadata from source . . . but the only thing I've had that fix is no thumbnail shown with certain files.

Try Michael's suggestion as well as that will fix it if it's a metadata issue.

Can you play those MP4 in VLC? Don't separate from BPAV of course but see if you can point VLC 1.0 at it and play the file. That'll let you know of the MP4 itself is OK vs some metadata linking to it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]