FORUMS: list search recent posts

SONY ex1 help!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Perfjell
SONY ex1 help!
on Jul 13, 2009 at 9:46:11 am

Hi, I shot some footage (20 hours) with the Sony ex1 and I have it all stored on a HD. I didn't use XDCAM EX Clip Browser, since I just got it and didn't know how to use it when I imported all my footage. So I just copied the clips from the SxS cards on to the HD.

I now have the problem where I need to rename all my files on my HD, so my coworkers can have the same paths as I do, with description If you understand what I mean.

As you know, the Ex1 creates Mpeg4 clips, but I can't watch them with Quicktime, (I'm on a leopard, newest version of both leopard and quicktime pro) but I have to open them with VLC?

If you know how to rename the source file via Clip Browser, or how I can watch those darn clips without having to go "open with - VLC, and then [Apple + i] - to change the file name" every time I need to watch what I shot, so that I later on can rename the source file it would be much appricieted!

Im on a MacBook Pro, if you need more specifics, ask. Please help me as that would save me ALOT of work and precious time!

Marcus

The fall of building 7 is a bit weird.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: SONY ex1 help!
on Jul 13, 2009 at 1:28:39 pm

"So I just copied the clips from the SxS cards on to the HD."

This presents the million dollar question: Did you copy the BPAV folders to your hard drive, just the MP4 files, or did you try to combine everything? If you did anything but the first one, you just made a terrible mess of things. This piece of information is necessary to help you out.

"I didn't use XDCAM EX Clip Browser, since I just got it and didn't know how to use it when I imported all my footage."

Big mistake. I'm not going to get all snooty and berate you for it, but you really should have learned the workflow beforehand. This tapeless stuff is very particular about workflow. If you didn't use Clip Browser, and can't organize your clips, I doubt that you've successfully "imported all my footage."

I'm a nerd, and have been a taskmaster around here as far as the XDCAM workflow goes, so I don't have any experience to draw upon as far as rescuing a pile of orphan clips. In any case, we need to know just what exactly you have on your hard drive waiting for import: Do you have BPAV folders for each card? Do you have the various subfolders? Do you simply have the MP4 files? That's going to have to be the starting point.

Cf

Return to posts index

Marcus Perfjell
on Jul 13, 2009 at 1:40:29 pm

Sorry for the noobiness in my workflow Clint!

I imported the BPAV folders for each card.

You probobly wonder why I didn't learn the workflow... Well, I had some major troubles getting hold of this camera, since they were all rented out everywhere.

So I downloaded a FCP workflow for it and read it. But I didn't use clip browser since I had no experience with it, and this would work as good, the manual said.

I will learn clip browser, just needed to save some time...
Marcus

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 13, 2009 at 4:41:02 pm

You can use XDCAM Transfer to log and name clips.
You can rename the parent folders you created for the BPAV (do not rename BPAV or its contents).

Return to posts index

Marcus Perfjell
on Jul 13, 2009 at 4:50:28 pm

yeah ok.

But how do you recommend to have it organized, inside the BPAV folder if I can't rename the clips. Or is it even possible?

I'd just like to have a certain name for a certain clip, but maybe that's not possible if I understand you correctly?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 13, 2009 at 3:46:04 pm

I'll 2nd Clint's comments although I'm usually a bit more hard nosed.

Do NOT try to rename anything in Finder at this point unless you want to dig your hole deeper.
If you have the MP4s orphaned from the metadata, they can be rescued.
If you have BPAV untouched, you can organize the parent folders.
NEVER rename the BPAV or any of its contents.

We'll have a hard time rebuilding the "engine" unless you tell us how you took it apart though.

Return to posts index

Marcus Perfjell
on Jul 13, 2009 at 4:43:30 pm

Can I in clip browser change the names of the files?
Or should I have done that before importing them to my hard drive?

If so, how should I ever be able to empty two SXS cards fast enough to get them ready for shooting again if I only own two? If i have to name all the clips after importing them to clip browser.

sorry if you got confused
Thanks for helping

Marcus

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 13, 2009 at 5:23:20 pm

Why would you even bother trying to name them during a shoot? Why would you have to?
Copy with ClipBrowser. Log at a future time. ClipBrowser reads the clips from anything including the hard drive you copied them to.

XDCAM Transfer is much better logging utility.

Also note the challenge of reconstituting a project if clips in project don't match archived clips (ARCHIVE THE BPAV) though. Please think through your workflow before digging more holes.

One reason many of us use MxR, MxM, Hoodman with SDHC is that they are much cheaper than SxS and one never has to offload during a shoot. Offloading during a shoot is a good way for human error to muck things up. The fact that you are concerned about offload time with SxS is a VERY GOOD reason why you need to rethink your workflow.

Return to posts index

Marcus Perfjell
on Jul 13, 2009 at 5:40:40 pm

thank you for your help.

The problem I have now then is that I don't know how to use clip browser correctly, I have the newest version.

And the few clips that I had renamed (5), I was able to find them again.
Is there any difference between the upper and the lower window in clip browser, the ones to the left? or are they just there to make things less complicated when copying?

haha I think I actually just found something out. you are welcome to laugh at me for being a noob, but I "managed" to copy my first day shoot to another folder, and a BPAV folder appered, with the same clips, and the same size of the folder so I assume they are the same.

Question though, In the first folder there are a bunch of .mxf files, they weren't copied, do I need them?

thanks for helping

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 13, 2009 at 6:12:54 pm

ClipBrowser manual may be hard to find.
Here it is.

Sony ClipBrowser 2.5 PDF Manual

Sony XDCAM Transfer 2.9 PDF Manual

Return to posts index

Marcus Perfjell
on Jul 13, 2009 at 5:43:06 pm

by the way, when I later on log them in FCP, I just give my coworkers the Projectfile, and the files (BPAV folders) and they will have the logged clips there, is that what you're suggesting?
Marcus

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 13, 2009 at 6:58:46 pm

My concern about logging is that after you're done with a project and deleted the files on hard drive.
Months later you need to reconstitute the project and have the original BPAV but the file names on those don't match the file names in FCP. FCP might track the files through UMID (file ID that doesn't change) but I haven't tested that.

Unlike P2, BPAV files have an intelligent number system so I leave it at that.
For example, I set the file name in camera to begin with 3PV and thus are numbered 3PV0001, etc.I can always make notes next to the clip but I want to know a year from now that 3PV0971 in my sequence is a given file if I need to pull it back from my optical disk backup.

You can change the AlphaNumeric in the camera . . . for example it can represent a given camera on a multicam shoot or the abbreviation for the client. Key is NEVER duplicate a number. Doug Jensen warns about that in his EX training DVD. The last thing you want is two 3PV0971 files. Imagine naming a shot JohnCloseUp3 only to have to go through 3 different shoots with JohnCloseUp3 to find which one was in your timeline. Basically I want the clip name to be a UNIQUE identifier and I save the description for the shot note.

Return to posts index

Marcus Perfjell
on Jul 13, 2009 at 7:13:39 pm

Thank you for that valuable information, now when you mentioned I remember that you can change the filenames, will never use the same ones twice!

I've got to buy the DVD about the EX1.
I'm reading the user manual for clip browser now, thank you very much for all your help Craig.
You have learned me alot this afternoon:P

In the future I will be using Clip Browser instead of "just copying the files"
Marcus

Return to posts index

Mark Greer
on Aug 19, 2009 at 5:54:35 pm

The way to do it (for now - AUGUST 2009) is Download the camera chip in VEGAS 9 using DEVICE EXPLORER - under "VIEW" (in VEGAS 9) and it will bring your clips into VEGAS to handle them. If you already brought the whole BPAV File into your hard drive, you can get all those clips named and trimmed in the XDCAM CLIP BROWSER EX- THEN EXPORT THEM FROM the XDCAM EX Clip Browser to another folder (hit shift & highlight all the clips you want to CONVERT TO .MXF Files at once) using FILE - EXPORT - Export convert to MXF for NLE - and they are just as beautiful as VLC. They don't crash like VLCs in high quality. The cameras firewire can only transfer 25 MPS so the higher resolution settings on the camera are no good to plain old "play" through the firewire.

Mark at Video Wholesale Services - Salt Lake City, Utah.

We need better workflow. Also your XDCAM Clip Browser needs a fix for the display, it looks like "I Dreamed of Jeannie" all W-a-v-e-y on playback, like it needs an adjustment to the video interlace (which there currently is NO adjustment for.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]