FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keep quality from camera to PC

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Günther Dilger
Keep quality from camera to PC
on Jul 10, 2009 at 7:31:53 am

What is the best (affordable) way, to bring the records to PC without loosing too much quality? Any recommendations for converting programs and formats?
BR

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
Re: Keep quality from camera to PC
on Jul 10, 2009 at 11:25:03 am

Sony's Clip Broswer, it's free. Use it to import your files to your PC without ANY loss of image quality.

Return to posts index

Günther Dilger
on Jul 10, 2009 at 12:00:09 pm

Sony's Clip Broswer, it's free. Use it to import your files to your PC without ANY loss of image quality.

Thanks for your answer. I´m using it as I can´t open the files with other programs. But converting it from Clip Browser to avi or wmv is really disappointing.
BR

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 10, 2009 at 2:16:55 pm

You need to describe your workflow and desired use.
Wrap to MXF (no loss) for some NLEs. Others can handle the MP4 directly.
If you don't tell us what you want to do we can't make useful suggestions.

Return to posts index

Günther Dilger
on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:37:00 pm

"You need to describe your workflow and desired use.
Wrap to MXF (no loss) for some NLEs. Others can handle the MP4 directly. If you don't tell us what you want to do we can't make useful suggestions."

Well, we start doing Video manuals. That means, preparing the shots on PC and then bring it on a DVD.
But while converting from EX1-Browser to avi or wmv to cut it in video programs, a lot of quality seems to be lost.
That´s why we would like to know the convenient programs for this application.
BR

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:40:44 pm

Sorry but you're still not giving much detail.
Use MXF for NLE. It's a rewrap, not an encode. Some NLEs use the MP4 directly.
I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself but that's the answer if you're using even moderately professional NLEs.
There's no reason to encode to any other format. If you have to encode then you should switch NLEs.

Avid, Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Edius all can handle either MXF or MP4 directly.

Return to posts index

Günther Dilger
on Jul 10, 2009 at 4:52:39 pm

"Avid, Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Edius all can handle either MXF or MP4 directly."

Thank you very much. We ordered Adobe premiere now and we will try with it.
BR

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 10, 2009 at 5:01:47 pm

Adobe Premiere handles the MP4 directly so that should give you camera master quality without even needing the time to rewrap to MXF.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 10, 2009 at 9:59:32 pm

Craig, I edit with Media 100 and that takes media in as QT .Mov using the Sony Transfer application, is that also with no loss of quality?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 10, 2009 at 11:59:28 pm

Sony XDCAM transfer does a straight rewrap of MP4 to MOV so there's no additional loss there either.
I don't think there's a Windows version of XDCAM Transfer though.

Does Media 100 support the EX codec? I was under the impression it doesn't.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 12, 2009 at 10:50:03 am

I can state with absolute certainty that from version 13 Media 100 DOES support the EX codec. I am currently cutting a film shot on my EX1 with Media 100. No problem, the Transfer tool allows me to select sub clips from the full clip and then import as a .Mov. Media 100 then renders it into the Media 100 HD codec. With reference to another thread I then have to adjust the panning of the audio as I get it in as left and right whereas I want both tracks as centre.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 12, 2009 at 12:26:38 pm

It's good to hear they support EX MOV. I know for a time Media 100 users were asking for such support. Going to MOV is just a re-wrap in XDCAM Transfer just as going to MXF for NLE is in ClipBrowser.

MOV, MXF, MP4 are wrappers, not codecs. While it's NOT as simple as changing the extension, the "essence" (which is MPEG2 Long GOP) is not re-encoded.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]