FORUMS: list search recent posts

Travel with 2 cameras

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gunther Maier
Travel with 2 cameras
on Jul 9, 2009 at 11:09:30 pm

I am traveling oversees and need to bring my 2 EX 3. I have carry-on soft cases and Pelican hard cases. In addition I need to bring a smaller hard case with my laptop. I know I might be lucky with the laptop case and one softcase/camera as carry-one. Is it wise to check in the other camera in a hard case or do I set myself up for theft and damage?

Return to posts index

Bob Hayes
Re: Travel with 2 cameras
on Jul 10, 2009 at 6:53:13 am

Carry em both on the trip out. Ship one on the trip back.

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Jul 10, 2009 at 1:34:43 pm

I'd carry one and check another in a good size well packed pelican case. You'll probably pay excess baggage, and make sure it is insured on your policy. I've traveled with a ton of gear for years with minimal losses - batteries and tape for instance. Do open your case at the airport when you arrive (but not too publicly, you don't want to knocked over the head and robbed in the parking garage).
If you are traveling from the US you'll need a customs declaration and some countries need a carnet - it may be best to look as amateur as possible - two cameras and a tripod shouldn't raise too many eyebrows, much more than that may cause customs delays.
Have a good trip....

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jul 10, 2009 at 6:20:50 pm

I often carry one cam in a Smuggler Portabrace bag. With all my MacBookPro bats mikes charger, as much of the really vital stuff as possible.

Then I check the other cam sticks lights etc in Pelican cases.

I always try to book direct flights, transfers are where most luggage is lost.

Make sure everything is insured. I also find out what rental houses are available where I am shooting, just in case.

If something gets lost, you may get it back in a few days so FEDEX overnight from a place like RULE, a great rental outfit, may be your best bet when trouble strikes, think and plan ahead. Show up a day or two in advance if possible. That is all you can do.

On your way out of the US you can have customs give you a form and verify all your equipment, or bring proof of ownership, so you don't get in trouble with customs on return trip.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jul 12, 2009 at 7:31:35 pm

Unfortunately the EX3's are not nearly as convenient to travel with as EX1's. I recently traveled with EX1's in Kata CC-191s, which can stow in even a CRJ's overhead compartment. When you have two on the crew traveling, each one carries a laptop and a cam and the tripod/light stands go in a golf club hard case w/wheels, and one other checked large Pelican with lights, mics, etc.

On the last trip I took, the luggage overages where just about equal to the entire value of the two airline tickets (US domestic, several cities over the course of a week).

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Bob Hayes
on Jul 13, 2009 at 3:29:25 pm

I really like the hard light weight golf cases. I’ll pack it up to the airline max weight sometimes I’ll Carry a 4x4 frame and skins and a couple of light weight c-stands.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Jul 14, 2009 at 6:29:57 pm

[Bob Hayes] "a couple of light weight c-stands."

Really? I don't think I'd get C stand legs to fit in mine...

How do you do that?

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Bob Hayes
on Jul 19, 2009 at 5:37:41 pm

I use aluminum light stands and c-stand heads and arms. On real sets I use typical c-stands with the curved legs but for my own kit I use the straight leg light stands.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]