'No media' on clips during XDCAM transfer

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claire Oram
'No media' on clips during XDCAM transfer
on Jul 9, 2009 at 7:21:01 pm

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I filmed something recently on 8GB and 16GB SxS cards. Never had a problem with them and they are 6 months old. I watched some clips whilst on shoot through MEDIA / Thumbnails etc. All clips were there.

Take it home, insert into SxS slot and open XDCAM Transfer. All clips pop up normally except for one which says 'no image available'. All other clips are MP4 but this one is .SMI. I select them all and press import. They all import except for the clip which says 'no media available'

I then click on the actual clip and it appears in the viewer. The first 10 minutes come up black saying 'no media file' then the next 40 minutes play on normally.

My first question - is where are the first 10 minutes (obv filmed but somehow the video/audio have disappeared) And do you think there is anyway of retrieving as it comes up black...
And how can i transfer the other 40minutes? Because the beginning clip has no image it doesn't seem to recognise it as clip and therefore does not import.

Then the first 4 minutes of another clip from a different SXS card disappeared too.

Please help!

Claire

Thanks,

I have EX1 camera / MacBookPro and Final Cut Pro 6.0.6

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: 'No media' on clips during XDCAM transfer
on Jul 9, 2009 at 7:51:24 pm

Is it possible this clip spanned 2 cards?

If so copy both BPAV folders to your hard drive and then point Transfer app at both of them and transfer as usual.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2009 at 8:06:25 pm

Always make sure all clips are available. I suspect Olof is correct. The clips have spanned cards and you are not making that clip available in XDCAM Transfer.

Return to posts index

Claire Oram
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:55:03 pm

Thanks guys, will definitely try this! I am just so concerned as 10 minutes seem to be blank! And the most important stuff too...
Has this happened to anyone else. Will let you both know
thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2009 at 11:12:26 pm

It happens to anyone who has clips that span cards and don't make them all available.
You can subclip and import separately.
The big mistake is people not having all the cards available and after importing, delete or format the card not discovering that part of the clip wasn't imported.

That's why one should make all the clips available. One should copy the clips to hard drive first and use that for import since you can't access all parts of a clip if you can't have access all the cards a clip spans simultaneously.

Return to posts index

Claire Oram
on Jul 20, 2009 at 11:13:50 am

Hey guys,

I have done everything above and have a .SMI file with the full clip now - total 55 minutes from a 16GB card. But I am still unable to import the .SMI file. I have also just updated my XDCAM browser and have new version of XDCAM Transfer (2.9) but it still does not allow me to import it.

Should i be importing the file out as something else? There are options to import out as MXF...

I have tried all the above things - of creating different BPAV folders for the spanned clips etc...but doesn't seem to work after i select all / then import all as it only import the non .SMI files...

Any suggestions let me know,

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]