FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Drive not working with FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Jaquez
XDCAM Drive not working with FCP
on Jul 9, 2009 at 4:12:38 pm

Hi, I have installed the XDCAM Transfer and XDCAM EX Clip Browser. However, I have been unsuccessful at importing clips into FCP using EX1. Everything is up to date including FCP.

Here is the message I get when in FCP I go to: File > Import > SONY XDCAM...

Window pops up: "Installed Components"
XDCAM Transfer needs the following QuickTime and system software components to provide complete support for the XDCAM product range. If any of these components are not currently installed, some features of the software will not be available.

(here is the list of components with a green check mark at the left)
MPEG IMX Codecs
XDCAM HD (25Mb/s CBR) Codecs
XDCAM HD (VBR) Codecs
XDCAM EX Codecs
XDCAM HD422 Codecs
FAM Driver
XDCAM Drive-Compatible UDF Driver

(and then there is the last component marked with a red exclamation point)
XDCAM Drive Software

Which is:
The XDCAM Drive file system driver from Sony is required to write to a PDW-U1 XDCAM Drive connected via the USB interface. This driver is part of the XDCAM Drive Software which is a free download from Sony.

The Apple UDF driver in Mac OS X 10.4.11 and Mac OS X 10.5 is sufficient for read-only access to PDW-U1.

I can't seem to install the driver and make this work.

Do I need to do something in the camera to get the computer to recognize it? Does it need to be in camera mode and connected via USB?

How do I get the files transfered to FCP from the EX1?

Thanks you so much for any help. I am stuck falling behind work. Spent the day yesterday trying to figure this out and today is going on the same manner.

Roman
http://www.romanjaquez.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: XDCAM Drive not working with FCP
on Jul 9, 2009 at 5:04:03 pm

Which version of Final Cut Pro do you have? I think those codecs shipped with Final Cut Studio 2. Some of the components may install with the Clip Browser or XDCAM Transfer applications. There's a Final Cut Pro "Log & Transfer" plugin to download from Sony as well. Then there's the FAM driver for Mac. You need to make sure all of these things are installed.

I've run into that similar issue and used a program called Pacifist to pull the components I need from my Final Cut Studio install discs and install them again. That's a pretty complicated and lengthy process, but first we need to make sure you're running a current enough Final Cut Pro version and have installed all the necessary Sony components.

My guess is all the codec-related stuff is a Final Cut install, the FAM driver and stuff like that is part of the Sony packages. Click here for the XDCAM EX Downloads are of the Sony site.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2009 at 5:07:48 pm

Roman, can you explain what's not working.
"can't import" is rather vague.
You've provided significant technical detail which is good.
I could ask you a score of questions though. You really need to tell us what part doesn't work. What step is failing.
Do you see the clips in ClipBrowser?

If one were to say, "I can't start the car" and you told me details about the car I'm still not sure if it's due to the lack of keys, lack of gas, engine problem, etc.?

Return to posts index

Roman Jaquez
on Jul 9, 2009 at 5:20:43 pm

Clint,
Craig,
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Right now I am running FCP 6.0.6

Here is what I have done so far. (I don't have the camera manual)

1) I plug the camera using the USB connection located below the headPhone jack.

2) Launch FCP (with the drivers installed.)

3) File > import > Sony XDCAM.. (window with the details in first post appears) I click on to continue not being able to do much about the message.

4) The Clip Browser software opens up. But, it does not recognize the camera or new drive with media assets.

This is where I am. I just downloaded the following drivers again and I am about to re-instal:

A) SxS Device Driver v1034300
B) PDZK-P1 v290 Production-1
3) XDZP1 ClipBrowser v2_5

Here is a screen shot of the message I am getting: http://romanjaquez.com/EX1.html
Roman

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 9, 2009 at 6:29:28 pm

[Roman Jaquez] "1) I plug the camera using the USB connection located below the headPhone jack.

2) Launch FCP (with the drivers installed.)

3) File > import > Sony XDCAM.. (window with the details in first post appears) I click on to continue not being able to do much about the message.

4) The Clip Browser software opens up. But, it does not recognize the camera or new drive with media assets.
"

Try This.

ClipBrowser to copy BPAV first.

Launch FCP

Launch XDCAM Xfer and it should see the copied BPAV or you might need to point to the parent folder

Make sure XDCAM Xfer is pointing to the FCP Project you have open.

________

In your step 3 it should be opening XDCAM Transfer, not ClipBrowser so something is a miss.

Return to posts index

Roman Jaquez
on Jul 9, 2009 at 6:48:10 pm

Thank you Craig, I tried it and it worked.

Roman

Return to posts index

Rodd Smith
on Sep 14, 2009 at 6:59:29 pm

Roman/Craig

I'm having the same problem. But the thing is, I already have the BPAV folders copied. What I'm trying to do is import from FCP through the Transfer tools. I am getting the same message as your 1st message.

It was working fine at first. But now, this problem.
Please help.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:10:22 pm

[Rodd Smith] "I'm having the same problem."

Always provide details. What you think is the same problem could be different.
While Sony XDCAM Transfer Tool has thumbnail cache issue for many including me and the PDW-U1 extension isn't Snow Leopard compatible, Sony's Log and Transfer plugin is working fine for me in FCP7 on OS 10.6.1. Also Calibrated Software's MP4 import into FCP is also working.

Return to posts index

Rodd Smith
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:38:51 pm

Yes Craig, thanks, by 'same problem' I meant I'm getting the same message as Roman got in his first message.

But I now realize it's the thumbnail cache issue. Because it says 'Error - The clip thumbnail could not be saved to the cache as it was an unrecognized format. So how do we fix that?

And if the PDW-U1 ext. isn't Snow Leopard compatible, then how do we correct that?

As for the Log and Transfer plugin (I got FCP 6.0.4) - when I tried to Add Folder, it says 'unrecognized format'.

The Calibrated s/w's MP4 import --> what's that for?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 14, 2009 at 9:48:32 pm

[Rodd Smith] "But I now realize it's the thumbnail cache issue. Because it says 'Error - The clip thumbnail could not be saved to the cache as it was an unrecognized format. So how do we fix that? "
Wait for Sony's fix. Use Log & Transfer for the time being.

[Rodd Smith] "And if the PDW-U1 ext. isn't Snow Leopard compatible, then how do we correct that? "

Wait for Sony unfortunately. See if another type of XDCAM player or camera works.

[Rodd Smith] "As for the Log and Transfer plugin (I got FCP 6.0.4) - when I tried to Add Folder, it says 'unrecognized format'. "

Point to the parent folder, not the BPAV folder.

[Rodd Smith] "The Calibrated s/w's MP4 import --> what's that for? "
Allows Final Cut Pro to use the MP4 files directly using File Import. Skips the MP4 wrap to MOV procedure. No need for XDCAM Transfer or Log & Transfer.
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MP4EXImport_Mac.asp

Return to posts index

Roman Jaquez
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:11:50 pm

Craig,
When you plug in the camera to your computer via USB, did you select the "Execute" option in the menu that appears on your LCD or View Finder? This was my problem I did not notice I had to follow this step. Once I have selected the "Execute" option, I then launch the software and proceed to ignore the warning message. It works fine for me.

Roman

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 14, 2009 at 9:55:07 pm

I don't transfer from camera. I use Sony SxS to USB reader or, when using SDHC, just a SDHC card reader. I don't want to risk anything happening to the camera.

If by Warning you mean XDCAM Drive Software, you don't need that unless you're using the drive. That's installed though with later versions of the software.

Make sure you're using ClipBrowser 2.5.1 (mislabeled 2.05.01 in the actual programe) and XDCAM Transfer 2.10.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]