FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Error with Transend 32GB

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Reid
Media Error with Transend 32GB
on Jul 7, 2009 at 11:36:53 pm

I was using a Transend 32gb chip purchased from Transend two months ago. The chip tested fine and I used it in the field off and on with no problems in my EX3 with a MxR adaptor. But recently I shot a 20 minute take, stopped recording, then started recording again 3 or 4 seconds later. I got a "Media Error -- Media Needs to be Restored" message. I took the MxR with the chip out, replaced it with another MxR and chip and kept shooting.

When I got back to the hotel I put the chip back back in the camera and got a "Restore?" message. I restored the chip, discovered that I had the 20 minute take intact. All I lost was the shot that was recording when I got the "Media Error" message.

Since then I have beer able to reproduce the error by running a long take, stopping the camera and starting it up again a few seconds later while the light by the chip was still red.

Note that I always erase all my clips instead of re-format. I figure if the chip's formating is working, don't mess with it. Is this practical thinking? What do others do?

Is this error common? Does this happen with a Sony SxS 32GB? I have had no problems with 16GB Transend or Sandisk Ultra II chips when I turn the camera off an on after a long take. Any thoughts about this? Should I be suspect of this Transend 32GB chip?

Max Reid

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Media Error with Transend 32GB
on Jul 8, 2009 at 12:01:20 am

I believe the issue is you haven't waited for the recording to finish before starting another. We are all learning from each other about these SDHC solutions. I do know a friend had format issues and Craig Seeman and I had learned it sometimes takes a second try when formatting. Both Craig and I don't format we do like you, just delete the clips. It would be good if you could try to record the full lenth of the card to make sure it still works properly and report back your findings. I haven't purchased these 32 gig cards as yet but the Transcend is the only brand I would try in 32gig size.

These SDHC/MxR solutions work but they come with a learning curve.

BTW it would be good of you to add your info on this thread.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/865340#865340

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Media Error with Transend 32GB
on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:41:56 am

Since the writing time on the SD cards is slower, make sure you give it a few seconds after the green light comes on before recording again or ejecting the card.

Brent Dunn
Creative Director
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]