FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM EX Clip Browser problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Beneze
XDCAM EX Clip Browser problem
on Jul 7, 2009 at 6:46:12 pm

I am new to the tapeless world and have just got an EX3. My problem is that when I open the clip browser nothing happens. I just get the options (file, edit, view) at the top of the page. Any ideas? FCP is seeing the SXS reader through Log and Capture. Is this the same thing?

FCP 6.0.6
Clip Browser 2.5

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM EX Clip Browser problem
on Jul 7, 2009 at 7:15:01 pm

[Andrew Beneze] "I am new to the tapeless world and have just got an EX3. My problem is that when I open the clip browser nothing happens. I just get the options (file, edit, view) at the top of the page."
Either the description is incomplete, you're not explaining everything or you need to reinstall ClipBrowser.
File, Edit Preview, Window, Help.
A row of icons which duplicate some of the menu functions
A top and bottom Explorer window
A Preview Window on the right.
Select icon for SxS on top left and see thumbnaiils to the right of it.

[Andrew Beneze] "FCP is seeing the SXS reader through Log and Capture. Is this the same thing? "

NO. ClipBrowser is to Copy BPAV (with CRC on preferably), split or combine (usually for archival on optical disk or other).
Log and Transfer re-wraps to MOV for FCP (as does XDCAM Transfer but has many more features).

ClipBrowser PDF Manual Mac OS portion is about 40 pages.

Return to posts index

Andrew Beneze
on Jul 7, 2009 at 7:24:37 pm

Hey Craig, you are right. I did leave 'preview and window' tabs out. I am watching the Vortex DVD on the EX3 and they are showing how it should look. I am just seeing the tabs at the top of the screen.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2009 at 7:42:00 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. Does it not look similar to what you're seeing on the DVD?

Return to posts index

Andrew Beneze
on Jul 7, 2009 at 8:11:32 pm

No. I just have the tabs at the top.
Just got off the phone with Sony Support. they tell me that Clip Browser was designed for Macs using Avid. That confused me a bit. They gave me other ways to save the BPAV file.

Thanks for your help Craig.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2009 at 8:55:51 pm

[Andrew Beneze] "Just got off the phone with Sony Support. they tell me that Clip Browser was designed for Macs using Avid."
The person you spoke to was ill informed or you misunderstood.
ClipBrowser works on intel Macs and Windows and it's not tied to any NLE.
Please read the manual.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jul 7, 2009 at 8:12:38 pm

Step one: open New Explorer Window. You should find it under the File menu if I remember properly Please don't take my brevity as a wiseguy answer, once you get that new window open you'll be ready to rock I'm sure.

Cf

Return to posts index

Andrew Beneze
on Jul 7, 2009 at 8:18:33 pm

Believe me I understand. I just got off the phone with Sony. They claim that Clip Browser was not designed for FCP but for AVId. They did me some simple work arounds to save the BPAV files.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 7, 2009 at 8:57:18 pm

[Andrew Beneze] "hey claim that Clip Browser was not designed for FCP but for AVId. "
MAJOR WRONG See my other post.

Return to posts index

Andrew Beneze
on Jul 7, 2009 at 9:04:35 pm

Thanks Craig. I did. I have figured it out. I appreciate your time on this.

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Jul 15, 2009 at 6:27:42 pm

i'm in our boat. I am editing in FCP and have been simply copy/paste BVAP to HD then re-wrapping to .mov via XD CAM TRansfer, totally bypassing Clipbrowser. Now i am looking in to archiving BVAP and getting files off media card through something more secure than copy/paste. This is where Clipbrowser comes in, but can't seem to get a simple import of files off card going. All i see are these .mxf file. Guess i need to go over manual. What did you end up doing?

Return to posts index

Andrew Beneze
on Jul 15, 2009 at 6:51:34 pm

Hey David, I'm sure my workflow is not quite correct but is working. I use FCP Log and Transfer to get the video unwrapped and into my project. Then use Clip Browser to move the BPAV file onto my HD for archive. Make sense? Still figuring it out. Please let me if you have any hints. thx

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Jul 16, 2009 at 3:21:38 pm

so you don't use XDCAM Transfer? That's what i use to get BVAP to .mov files.

What process/work-through do you use in Clipbrowser to get BVAP to archive status on HD? I don't see any copy/paste type option in there. All i see are .mfx, AVI, DV options where it is essentially wrapped in to whatever format you want, with no option working for a FCP system.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 16, 2009 at 3:57:43 pm

FCP Log & Transfer can also rewrap to mov. XDCAM Transfer has more features though.

FCP EX Log and Transfer Plugin

Return to posts index

David McGuire
on Jul 17, 2009 at 12:47:43 am

Ive been transfering via XDCAM Transfer into FCP as mov files. It was easier than the BPAV with all the meta files. But- I cant transfer clips that are incomplete, meaning the clips that are in progress when the card switched over during the shoot.
The clips are there in the browser.
What would be the way to get those two clips in? Anybody else have this problem?

thanks

David

David McGuire
Seastewards.org
Media for a Healthy Ocean

Return to posts index

Andrew Beneze
on Jul 17, 2009 at 1:37:39 pm

David, I just started shooting with the EX3 and have not seen this yet. Thanks for the heads up though. I spoke with a Sony rep the other day that gave me a direct number to their tech support for Transfer and Clip Bowser etc: 1-800-883-6818

Let us know what you find out.

Return to posts index

Andrew Beneze
on Jul 17, 2009 at 1:43:21 pm

David, I left off the extension for the Sony tech people: 1-800-883-6818 ext 252

Return to posts index

Andrew Beneze
on Jul 17, 2009 at 1:41:29 pm

David, I believe you can just copy and paste as you were already doing. I also have been exporting the unwrapped .movs from my FCP project to an Archive HD. I know this is an extra step but it gives me some peace of mind to have those copied .movs available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]