FORUMS: list search recent posts

playback without fcp

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Pruitt-Bruun
playback without fcp
on Jul 4, 2009 at 10:20:33 pm

is there a method of playback of mp4 or mxf files without fcp? new laptop and ex3, (bag, batteries, cards, blah blah blah...) and i'm wondering if i can get away without splashing out another $1200 just now.

i downloaded a plug-in for QT called CalibratedMXFQStat, but can't seem to get it to play along.

thanks for looking!

mpb

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: playback without fcp
on Jul 5, 2009 at 3:24:59 pm

The XDHD codecs come with FCP, I don't know if you can get them anywhere else.

Download all the installers from Sony, SxS drivers, Clip Browser app and Transfer app.

Once they are installed see if you can play XD footage in QT player, transfer using the Transfer app.

Link:
http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowSiteSection.action?sectiontype=BC%20Tool...

I really do recommend the FCP suite it has a lot of great tools like Color for CC.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2009 at 3:41:30 pm

There are 3rd party codecs for XDCAM EX and HD.

Michael you mention MP4 and MXF. Which is it? Each require a different codec and you may have downloaded the wrong one.

CalibratedSoftware has codecs for both and for both Mac and Windows systems.

Sony ClipBrowser (free) will also play the files.

VLC will also play the files.

They each have different purposes though.

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Jul 5, 2009 at 4:50:14 pm

hey Craig,

i guess i was working under the assumption that QT playback would offer better PQ than what i see with VLC, or clip browser. mp4 and mxf are just the codecs that are on offer when using clip browser.

for whatever reason i haven't been able to make CalibratedMXFQStat properly play back a file. it opens up what looks like a black slug. maybe i just need to keep working with it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2009 at 5:07:09 pm

[Michael Pruitt-Bruun] " guess i was working under the assumption that QT playback would offer better PQ than what i see with VLC"

Quality can be dependent on the decoder. I prefer Quicktime but CalibratedSoftware works in Quicktime.

[Michael Pruitt-Bruun] "mp4 and mxf are just the codecs that are on offer when using clip browser. "
I'm not sure what you mean "on offer" EX is MP4 from camera. XDCAM HD is MXF from camera. ClipBrowser doesn't change that on playback.

[Michael Pruitt-Bruun] "for whatever reason i haven't been able to make CalibratedMXFQStat properly play back a file. it opens up what looks like a black slug. maybe i just need to keep working with it."

What are you trying to playback? MXF would work with XDCAM HD (or standard) MXF files?

EX is MP4, not MXF. The camera manual states that.

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Jul 5, 2009 at 5:40:33 pm

"on offer" = those are the options. those are the files i have available to me when i want to play back. i think you may be reading more into my statements than i intend.

using clip browser to transfer to my drive, i will then have either an mp4 or an mxf (or raw, etc). i want to be able to play one of those files back in QT, even though i don't have FCP, which typically provides the QT support for this purpose.

Greg Booth has just informed me that in addition to CalibratedMXF, i also need CalibratedXD in order to play back in QT. that should probably solve the problem.

thanks for the help. :)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2009 at 5:58:07 pm

[Michael Pruitt-Bruun] "using clip browser to transfer to my drive, i will then have either an mp4 or an mxf (or raw, etc). i want to be able to play one of those files back in QT, even though i don't have FCP, which typically provides the QT support for this purpose."

MP4 Mac playback
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MP4EXImport_Mac.asp

MP4 Windows playback
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MP4EXImport_Win.asp

MXF Mac playback
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Mac.asp

MXF Windows playback
http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MXFImport_Win.asp

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Jul 5, 2009 at 6:24:12 pm

thanks Craig.

with the three Calibrated plug-ins i can now play mp4 and mxf files in QT. i have to say, they don't look very good though. playing back on a 17" macbook pro (high res screen, blah blah) they look like crap. really noisey. i assume there is some compromise in picture quality inherent in these methods that wouldn't be present working with these files in fcp.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2009 at 6:54:43 pm

I don't think there should be any qualitative difference although if you look under the hood there are tweaks available in the CalibratedSoftware plugins.

Keep in mind that 720p is 1280x720 and 1920x1080 is that so playing at another size may introduce scaling issues. Also the gamma of you Mac screen may not be the gamma of a HDTV.

You need to ensure your monitor is calibrated properly. Even Quicktime has an "Enable Final Cut Studio Color Compatibility" preference.

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Jul 5, 2009 at 7:27:45 pm

"Even Quicktime has an "Enable Final Cut Studio Color Compatibility" preference."

maybe yours does. but i imagine you have FCP installed.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2009 at 7:38:57 pm

Quicktime 7.6.2
Quicktime Player/Preferences (not to be confused with Quicktime Preferences under the same list)
General Tab look all the way at the bottom. I'm not sure when that was introduced but it wasn't there with older version of Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Jul 5, 2009 at 9:07:57 pm

yeah, that would be the part not available to me. ;-)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2009 at 9:10:07 pm

Have you updated to Quicktime 7.6.2?

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Jul 5, 2009 at 9:48:41 pm

yes.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2009 at 10:05:34 pm

I guess you're right if you don't see that option it must require FCP.

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Jul 5, 2009 at 10:42:08 pm

"i assume there is some compromise in picture quality inherent in these methods that wouldn't be present working with these files in fcp."

Hi,

Using our plugins - there should no compromise in picture quality - we do have some Gamma Options that you can tweak but that won't affect any of the noise you are reporting.

I also saw your posts on dvinfo.net

"well, that works. oddly, the raw dv looks about the same as QT (and VLC, etc) playback of the mp4 or mxf."

It seems that viewing XDCAM EX MP4 files using our plugins in QT, VLC, XDCAM EX ClipBrowser, and DV MOV in QT downconverted via XDCAM EX Clip Browser from a MP4 - all show the same noisy footage, correct? If so, it might be then that the footage you are attempting to view is noisy. You can email me at info@calibratedsoftware.com and I can give you our ftp info and I can look at a MP4 file if you want.

Also, our free Calibrated MXF QuickStat application isnt a plugin or application to play MXF files - it's just an application that lets people see the properties of a MXF file.

Cheers,
Greg

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Jul 5, 2009 at 11:07:23 pm

thanks again for your help, Greg. here and elsewhere.

it's true, the footage certainly points out some things to pay attention to with the camera. i've never seen a screen crawl so badly. i wasn't using any gain, and this looked bad. it certainly didn't look like that on the external monitor coming out of the camera though.

i'll have to do some more tests. usually in the past, with my own or rented tape-based cameras, i really never got to see my work. i'm not an editor, so like many shooters i hand off the tape and that's it. with this camera and the different work-flow and equipment, it's easier for me to follow up and check results. hence my interest in adequate viewing of the files.

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Jul 5, 2009 at 4:43:07 pm

thanks for the link, Olaf.

transfer app and QT playback seem to be fcp-dependent. i've no doubts about the merits of fcp, but trying to avoid the cost after just having shelled out for ex, laptop, etc.

i'm a little dismayed that fce won't support xdcam. maybe soon....

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 5, 2009 at 4:46:48 pm

[Michael Pruitt-Bruun] "transfer app and QT playback seem to be fcp-dependent"

NO
CalibratedSoftware can play back MP4, MXF, even EX already wrapped as MOV. FCP NOT NEEDED. Their plugins are specifically designed for NON FCP Mac and Windows systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]