FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip browser won't recognise clips

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Goodenough
Clip browser won't recognise clips
on Jul 2, 2009 at 10:30:50 pm

I did some filming today and recorded the whole day onto my PHU-60, it was only after I had copied the data off onto my Mac that I remembered the first 2 clips were on the 8gb SxS, so I copied them across too.

As there were only two clips in the CLPR folder from the SxS, I copied those folders into the CLPR folder from the PHU. It was only when I ran everything through XDCAM Transfer that I realised the two clips from the SxS were not being recognised and were being totally ignored. I have since formatted both the card and the HDD, so can't simply start again.

I opened the MEDIAPRO.XML file and the two clips aren't mentioned in there (as they were from a different card), I thought about modifying that, as it looks simple enough, but i have no way of working out the duration of the clip (which i'm assuming is to the frame) As i can't import the MP4 into FCP.

Does anyone have any suggestions how i can salvage these clips? Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Clip browser won't recognise clips
on Jul 2, 2009 at 10:40:04 pm

[James Goodenough] "As there were only two clips in the CLPR folder from the SxS, I copied those folders into the CLPR folder from the PHU. "

Slaps farhead. Why did you think you could do this? Would you open the case of a BetaSP tape and pull the tape out and stuff it into another complete tape? Sorry for sounding like this but that BPAV is like the case containing the media and the metadata which "informs" the software what it is and how it relates to the rest of the "tape." There's no where in in the ClipBrowser, XDCAM Transfer or EX manuals that would even hint that you should do that.

ONLY use ClipBrowser and always use CRC ON when copying. These are your CAMERA MASTERS for crying out loud.

You'll probably have to pull the MP4 files out and import into the ClipBrowser to create a new BPAV for them but they won't have the original metadata.

Return to posts index

James Goodenough
on Jul 3, 2009 at 9:42:49 am

Thanks, don't worry "for sounding like this" blunt and to the point answers work better with me.

I've only just moved away from DV, it looks like I made the mistake of thinking they were just individual digital files and not part of a "tape".

I've been using the camera for a few weeks now and have only just started using the PHU, up until now I was just using the SxS. A few days before I made the same mistake and copied the clips over using the camera itself, but that would (obviously, with hindsight) also modify the
MEDIAPRO.XML.

I guess I'll have to put this one down to experience. It does all make sense really.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 3, 2009 at 3:02:32 pm

It really is worthwhile to go through the ClipBrowser and XDCAM Transfer documentation. They're very short. The MP4 clips don't stand alone. It should be self evident given that they . . . don't stand alone. One would have to believe Sony designed the camera to record extraneous stuff otherwise. Please do read the documents. You can go through both in an hour or so.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]