FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod for EX3 recommendations

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kyle powers
Tripod for EX3 recommendations
on Jul 2, 2009 at 5:38:14 pm

I want something that is decent quality and capable of supporting my Ex3 plus potentially down the road extra stuff like lense adapter, Matte Box, etc. I was hoping to not have to go over 5 or 6 hundred dollars. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Tripod for EX3 recommendations
on Jul 2, 2009 at 5:48:23 pm

You're not going to get a good basic professional tripod in that range, especially supporting an EX3 with accouterments.

Sachtler has stuff in the $1600 range that would work. Maybe Libec too. I'm not crazy about Bogen/Manfrotto stuff but you could look in that area for a little bit cheaper. Keep in mind weight capacity, balance, pan tilt smoothness. There's nothing like a crappy tripod to make a good camera look cheap. Sorry but you're not going to find something in $600 price range that can hold $10,000 worth of gear. You have to spend proportionally.

One exception. This
Kessler K-Pod might work and it looks to be close to your budget. I haven't used it but I've used other Kessler gear and Eric Kessler is an excellent engineer and has very good prices.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 2, 2009 at 5:50:45 pm

You'd probably need this
K-Pod Hercules 2 bundle.
Hercules is the tripod head so of course you need that. $900 with case. Slightly over your budget but I can't imagine anything this good this inexpensive by anyone else.

Return to posts index

kyle powers
on Jul 2, 2009 at 6:14:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback Craig. My budget is pretty flexible so I will spend what I need to in order to get decent quality. Would you recommend any others?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 2, 2009 at 7:34:22 pm

Libec and Miller but I don't have specific models on that.
Basically I found Bogen doesn't have smooth pans and tilts and their legs tend to be heavier and "clumsier" than the others. The others all have good heads and legs.
Cartoni could be possible but they tend to be expensive if I recall.

Personally I believe Sachtler and Miller are in the lead for quality and cost effective.

Return to posts index

kyle powers
on Jul 2, 2009 at 8:05:30 pm

I'm looking at the Millers and Sachtler models on the B & H site. Do you think 20 pound capacity is sufficient or do I need more given that I will most likely be adding multiple accessories to my setup.

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
on Jul 2, 2009 at 9:22:11 pm

The EX3 feels like a toy on the Sachtler 12SB if that helps you out.
It's so light even a DV4II balances it fine.

Return to posts index

kyle powers
on Jul 2, 2009 at 9:43:10 pm

Given my eventual weight requirements am I ok with a 75mm bowl or do I need a 100 mm bowl?

Return to posts index

kyle powers
on Jul 6, 2009 at 9:54:15 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/610342-REG/Sachtler_0772_0772_FSB_8_T...

75MM bowl 20 pound limit.

Ok for EX3 with additional accessories like Letus adapter, Matte box, etc?

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Jul 23, 2009 at 3:44:34 am

It is probably too late to get my two cents in on this topic, but I'll give it a shot, anyway. Backstory: Hollywood two decades, rented everybody's tripod, fluid head at one time or another. Saclr., O'Conner, Vinton, Miller, for film cameras.
This time around I wanted to own something really nice. I looked at all the above, remembered what I liked and didn't on those expensive heads that I used during those years and I really didn't want to spend two grand on that equipment.
B&H Video, out of NY, has a Cartoni HiDV Fluid Head ($ 749).
Let me just say this, I know your budget is $ 600, but bite the bullet and save the difference elsewhere and get the Cartoni. Hands down, the sweetest fluid head I have ever used. You will not regret it. 75mm bowl, got a nice tripod for under $ 250. The Cartoni handles my EX3 with extra stuff on it just fine, it's velvet smooth, and very nice. It has some nice lock down features and you can tilt it +90 degrees.
Here's a flash I learned the hard way-cheap fluid heads are not fluid, they are friction with a honey like substance that will ozz out on a hot day in the trunk-then your sunk for sure. trust me. A tripod/fluid head is not the place to cut corners.

Mims

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]