FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noisy footage with EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corrado Marengo
Noisy footage with EX3
on Jun 28, 2009 at 12:17:18 am

Hi everyone.

First of all, sorry for my broken English. An Italian stepped into Creative Cow ;-)

I was shooting last week on a proper advertisement set, filming the "behind the scenes" and there was plenty of light!

I set an EX3 and an EX1 in this way:

-shutter speed 1/100 (then I had to set "shutter speed" on "off", otherwise was dark even aiming the sun) (maybe this was the mistake)
-ND filter on 1
-manual white balance
-iris at 5,6.4 (cannot remember if it is exactly 6.4, sorry for approximation)

and I ended up having terrible noise on blacks.

I'm using XDcam Browser and Final Cut Pro.

I am getting really annoyed because all the time I use them I want to achieve something better but it is not. This time I can't blame the light condition...

I read on some thread: "set my manual knee point to 80% IN PP1", I will try that...
I also tried to make "set black point balance" or something like that (sorry for mistakes, I don't owe the cameras so I am remembering by heart).
The result is pretty bad.
On Monday I'll shoot again and I really need to do something better, because the director will use us to get some more digital content from actors and extras. Sparks will be there, producers and clients...with a big plasma to check what I am shooting...
PLEASE HELP!!!
Can be that "shutter speed off"???

Thank you guys, I hope I gave enough infos.

CM

Editor with
Final Cut Pro
Avid

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
olof ekbergh
Re: Noisy footage with EX3
on Jun 28, 2009 at 12:41:56 pm

Set the Gain to -3db. In Menus assign that to one of the 3 settings on switch.

Try using cinegamma 4 in picture profiles, turn down the detail in picture profiles try 20 0r 30. If light is very contrasty try cinegamma.

Make sure you expose correctly, maybe you were stopped down to much. Use zebra and histogram to do this. Don't trust the LCD. At the very least adjust LCD with bars to make sure you are not looking at an overly bright screen. External monitor that is calibrated really helps to learn how camera shoots.

Set shutter to 1/60 NTSC or 1/50 Pal or 1/48 24p. Or set to 180 degrees.

The lens works best at f2.8 but is ok from wide open to f5.6. Use ND dial or additional filters to achieve this.

The EX3 can give incredible good results, but like a lot of modern cameras you really need to spend time to set it up the way you like it and learn how to set it up for different conditions.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jun 28, 2009 at 12:44:01 pm

Correction:

Try using cinegamma 4 in picture profiles, turn down the detail in picture profiles try 20 0r 30. If light is very contrasty try cinegamma 1.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 29, 2009 at 5:30:49 pm

Hi Olof,
I go to propose to Ron to put your picture in the top of the forum (instead of mine:-).
I can see that you havenĀ“t started to play with a camera yesterday.
Best,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Corrado Marengo
on Jun 28, 2009 at 10:17:45 pm

Thank you so much Olof.
I'll try tomorrow and post the result.
Your help is much appreciated.

CM

Editor with