FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony SBAC-US10

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Tyler
Sony SBAC-US10
on Jun 27, 2009 at 4:32:48 pm

Hope this helps, Maybe you can learn from my mistake.

First, The Sony SBAC-US10 will not read any of the aftermarket SXS adapters. Not a huge deal, but save your self the $$$. Only the Sony or Sandisk MxR cards (same card, different sticker) read properly in the SBAC.
Sony did not hide this info, it is in the paperwork. I bought without reading the entire manual. Me = Foolish.

Most newer laptops run Express 34 or 54 card slots which work just perfectly for offloading your Files. Or grab and SDHC / USB 2.0 reader. Just as fast. No headache.
Joe

http://www.killianthered.com
DP in the Washington DC Area
EX3 Owner

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Sony SBAC-US10
on Jun 27, 2009 at 7:16:07 pm

[Joe Tyler] "Only the Sony or Sandisk MxR cards (same card, different sticker)"

I think you mean SxS which is Sony and Sandisk.
MxR is e-films
MxM Express
Hoodman imports from MxM
They're all made from the same manufacturer though.

[Joe Tyler] "aftermarket SXS adapters. "
I'd call them Express Card adaptors. SxS is Sony and Sandisk cards.
The adaptors are noted above.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 29, 2009 at 1:46:22 pm

Dang. I hadn't tried that until right now. I guess a USB SD card reader will have to suffice, of course they're much cheaper than the Sony readers we have.

I got a pair of MxR adapters and Transcend 16GB cards a week or so ago and, while they certainly are cheap, they're not suited to any sort of "run and gun" type videography. If I wanted to wait ten seconds after recording to start a new clip, I'd go back to 3/4" Umatic SP. Maybe for long, drawn out, boring shoots...but for most of what we do, that's just not acceptable performance.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 29, 2009 at 3:18:14 pm

[Clint Fleckenstein] "I got a pair of MxR adapters and Transcend 16GB cards a week or so ago and, while they certainly are cheap, they're not suited to any sort of "run and gun" type videography. If I wanted to wait ten seconds after recording to start a new clip, I'd go back to 3/4" Umatic SP. Maybe for long, drawn out, boring shoots...but for most of what we do, that's just not acceptable performance.
"

A lot of what I do is run and gun. WIth 2 SDHC 32GB cards I don't have to deal with waiting either. With 4 hours record time in the camera I can just let it run. You don't have to be so trigger happy as in the days of 8GB SxS where you were afraid of running out of card space during a shoot. Is 4 hours really not enough for ENG type work? All you need to do is keep running if you think there's any chance some sequence of (unplanned) events are going to transpire.

4 hours goes a looong way.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 29, 2009 at 6:19:51 pm

It works a lot better for our team here to be able to refer to individual clips instead of timecode slices of a big chunk. Plus, since archiving is such a wildcard these days, I'd rather not have a lot of unusable video taking up disc space.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 29, 2009 at 7:22:38 pm

[Clint Fleckenstein] "It works a lot better for our team here to be able to refer to individual clips instead of timecode slices of a big chunk."

Subclipping is easy although granted that's an extra step.

[Clint Fleckenstein] "Plus, since archiving is such a wildcard these days, I'd rather not have a lot of unusable video taking up disc space. "

Subclipping on import works for this too.

It's a matter of which expense and workflow is easier though. I often find leaving the camera rolling gives me handles when needed and even an unforeseen b-roll shot. Of course if Sony were to ever implement a prerecord cache that might change things. Basically even the fast start of SxS can still result in the risk of losing the head of a shot. I'd rather just keep rolling if there's a possibility of quick back to back records.

It does bother me that JVC HM cameras have about 3 second prerecord buffer to SDHC and Sony doesn't implement this at all.

Speculative but I wonder if JVC's decision to use MOV for SDHC alleviating some of the buffer related issues Sony has with SDHC and all the separate metadata files. JVC requires the SxS adaptor to enable that.

Clint, if you can afford two 32GB SxS cards that would certainly give you optimal flexibility. In my experience using the smaller SxS cards present far to many constraints compared to any advantages.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]