FORUMS: list search recent posts

Incomplete Clip??? .SMI Extension vs. .MP4

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kellen Dengler
Incomplete Clip??? .SMI Extension vs. .MP4
on Jun 26, 2009 at 2:46:28 pm

I'm trying to import one clip off of a SDHC card that has a label as "incomplete" in Sony XDCAM Transfer. All other clips on the card are fine and import correctly. Every time I try and import this one it says "There is insufficient disk space to import the selected clips." I've tried on 4 different hard drives each with 100's of GBs of available space so I know that disk space is not an issue.

I have never encountered this problem before and really need to pull this clip. Anything I can do? The clip plays just fine on the EX3 and in XDCAM Transfer.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Incomplete Clip??? .SMI Extension vs. .MP4
on Jun 26, 2009 at 3:26:34 pm

Do you know if the clip spanned across another card?
Both parts need to be available for them to be joined. I copy all BPAV to hard drive first and then use XDCAM Transfer for that reason.
Have you tried marking in and out in XDCAM Transfer to make it a subclip?

If the above doesn't work you can always copy the raw MP4 and then have ClipBrowser make a new BPAV although it'll also create new metadata but you'll have your clip.

Return to posts index

Kellen Dengler
on Jun 26, 2009 at 3:30:49 pm

Yep. That was the problem. It's weird though as to why it would have switched to the other card. It's a 16GB SDHC and only had about 15min of 720P30 footage on it - not even close to full, and this clip was in the middle of everything I shot. It did span to 2 cards somehow (maybe I accidentally hit the card select button?) but this solved it.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 26, 2009 at 4:10:18 pm

It is possible to accidently hit the button and switch cards and then you can accidently switch back or when it reaches the end of the 2nd card it will switch back to the not yet full card in slot A. That slot switch button is very close to the menu button.

That's another good reason to dump all the cards to hard drive first and then just select all the sources on the hard drive.

Return to posts index

Kellen Dengler
on Jun 26, 2009 at 4:13:58 pm

Yeah I ALWAYS dump the cards onto a separate drive first before sourcing the clips into FCP. Just so I always have those BPAV backups. I didn't realize I hit that card select button though so I wasn't even looking on the other card for the other half of the clip (which probably should have been my first point of trouble shooting haha).

Thanks Craig!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 27, 2009 at 12:26:44 am

It can get really messy if you end up with a bunch of cards too and that happens. I had that happen on a shoot. I was befuddled. All the cards seemed full but I thought I was missing an important chunk. Grabbed 'em all in XDCAM Transfer and it sorted itself out. That's "what learned me" the way to dump 'em all first and let XDCAM transfer join 'em up.

I also use Calibrated Software EX MP4 import in which case I import 'em all into FCP and just sort by clip number. Those clips will advance incrementally even if you jump from card to card. If you see a chunk missing on a card it's because those numbered wound up on another card due to an accidental switch.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 27, 2009 at 3:13:45 pm

If you know you only have a short shoot, only put one card in the camera. I know this has been recommended because of this same problem. I've also hit the switch card button by accident, but it wasn't while recording.

Brent Dunn
Creative Director
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Kellen Dengler
on Jun 27, 2009 at 3:18:11 pm

Craig, how do you like that Calibrated EX MP4 Software? I just looked at the site and it seems pretty interesting. Do you find it is worth it? What are your main benefits to using it?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 27, 2009 at 6:57:00 pm

Benefits

Saves time on rewrap to move. This is notable if you need fast turnaround or have a large amount of video.

Can save disk space depending on workflow. I used to make optical disk backups of the BPAV and keep another copy of both the BPAV and MOV wrapped files online. I now don't need to create MOV wrapped files since I can use the online BPAV.

I can now use the MP4 directly in my compression apps (Episode and Compressor) to make screening copies. No need to wrap to move first so I can get Windows Dubs and Screeners to the client more quickly.

It's much easier to reconstitute a project that has gone offline since the clips in the project match the clips from the camera.

You don't have to use this workflow all the time but given the low price of the component if it saves you an hour or so you've already made back the cost of the plugin.

BTW this also means you can now view the MP4 in Quicktime Player. Basically the plugin will allow any Quicktime based app to handle the MP4, not just Final Cut Pro. Heck, if your client, who doesn't have FCP, buys it, they too can view in Quicktime (no need for Sony ClipBrowser just for screening or explaining to them why they should download VLC).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]