FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1 White LCD screen

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john lawlor
Sony EX1 White LCD screen
on Jun 22, 2009 at 11:01:38 pm

HI Everybody

I'm having a spot of bother with my EX1. It is currently working fine, but the only problem is that the LCD screen is only displaying solid white, with absolutely no picture. It may have got damp as I was outdoors filming with a rain cover on, but no water got into the camera. I'm concerned that condensation built up inside it and it is now wrecked.

CAn anyone advise me on what I should do next. A few people were telling me that it will come right itself within a few days. Others are telling me to put it into a warm drying cupboard.

I am very worried and don't know what to do. I am also concerned that it won't be covered under warranty as it was bought in the States and I am living in Ireland. And even if it is eligible for warranty, will it be covered for water damage (assuming it is water damaged).

Any help will be much appreciated.

John Lawlor

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Sony EX1 White LCD screen
on Jun 23, 2009 at 3:08:00 am

"I am very worried and don't know what to do."

OK go get the Advil, no go to the medicine cabinet and get something stronger, or to the liquor cabinet and pour yourself a stiff one or two, Then send in your camera and when you get the bill take it like a man. If you are out in the rain then you have to face the facts and deal with this issue. Learn from it.

My father always said "if you take care of your equipment then it will take care of you", you are only as good as your equipment.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

john lawlor
on Jun 23, 2009 at 6:51:51 am

Hi Michael

The headaches and sweats have already started, and your advice about the advil and the stiff drink don't work, they only make the symptoms worse. Anyone suffering from post camera damage stress, experiment with something more organic. Michaels advice on hitting the pills and booze don't do anything.

Does anyone have any idea on the cost of getting this problem repaired, or if anyone has seen this problem for themselves. The screen is getting a signal ok, its just the image is completly white, so the screen seems fine, i think the signal getting to the LCD has been shorted out.

I was a little miffed at how easily this happened to the camera, and it makes me wonder if the camera is hyper sensitive to moisture damage. I would consider myself someone who looks after my equipment, but it just seems like this happened very easily.

Any technical info on anyone with a similar problem with this camera, or similar cameras would be great.

John

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 23, 2009 at 1:23:07 pm

A friend of mine has been experimenting with an EX1 for shooting news. He's had plenty of complaints about the lens fogging up and that sort of thing. That would lead me to believe it lacks in regards to weather sealing.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2009 at 1:43:56 pm

I've shot in some pretty bad weather conditions (rain, storms) and have had no such problem as long as the camera doesn't get wet.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 23, 2009 at 1:48:04 pm

I work in a very hard environment (Dust or mud) and the EX-1 stands very well.
However a single drop of water in the wrong place can cause a big trouble.
That happens to my old PD-170. A drop of rain in the LCD costed me 1.000 bucks.
600 the fixing + two trips to BKK.
Thanks God the prices in SONY Bangkok (and the service) are very good.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 23, 2009 at 1:42:38 pm

Since you didn't like my medication advice you probably won't like this either, I'm going to guess at the repair cost for the LCD and say up to $1500. I only know 1 person who has had major repairs and he knew a Sony repair shop owner so it wasn't at full retail. But I believe he spent nearly $2000 putting it back together.

I'm guessing $800 for the LCD and another $350-$400 for Sony.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2009 at 1:44:44 pm

I actually saw a do it yourself for replacing the LCD online. I wish I could remember where.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 23, 2009 at 1:45:55 pm

Found it
EX1 LCD Replace DIY

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jun 24, 2009 at 1:39:43 am

If it is still in warranty, I would pay to ship it back for repair. If it's not covered, then at least they'll give you the estimate. Keep you fingers and toes crossed and you may luck out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]