FORUMS: list search recent posts

SMI file issue

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph wilkins
SMI file issue
on Jun 18, 2009 at 5:40:42 pm

I'm new to the SXS workflow and have a EX1.

I just finished a shoot and dumped all my BPAV folders into my Drobo, then opened XDCAM transfer and imported all the folders.

I have about 100 shots and 98 of them came in and are uncompressing as I write this... BUT TWO of the clips have a .SMI extension instead of MP4.. and those two give me no image thumbnail preview and when I hit import, it says "There is no codec that can convert and .SMI file"

I hit OK, and it's crunching away at the 98... but I'm scared about the two that are.SMI... can anyone clarify what this is?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SMI file issue
on Jun 18, 2009 at 5:56:45 pm

SMI links split or spanned clips.
If you make ALL the clips available in XDCAM Transfer it'll join them when it wraps as MOV. If you don't make all the clips available you will have problems.

Return to posts index

joseph wilkins
on Jun 18, 2009 at 6:15:36 pm

Thanks... I am grateful for your video clip

I still dont understand though why your SMI clips have a thumbnail , but mine dont... it just says "No Image Available"

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:50:51 pm

Craig,

It's been my experience that in order for the Transfer program to properly join a clip that is spanning both cards, you must have both cards selected and transfer all the files on both cards simultaneously. Has that been the case for you as well?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2009 at 8:12:26 pm

Chris, that's exactly what the demo video shows.

One can have all the files selected and just select the SMI and transfer that shot but to me that's making things more complex.

The gist of my tutorials is to keep things simple. People make mistakes when they either over think or try to over manage import.

Keep it simple. Select all. Import all.

My full workflow. Copy all clips from card to hard drive with ClipBrowser.
Make all folder available in XDCAM Transfer.
Select All
Import All.

Then to backup.
ClipBrowser to split BPAV for DVD-DL as needed
Burn to DVD-DLs

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]