FORUMS: list search recent posts

using mbp for recording

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Kukla
using mbp for recording
on Jun 18, 2009 at 11:37:16 am

I have the EX-3 and a macbookpro.
what hardware is needed to record direct to disc through the laptop? Would you use the expresscard slot or the firewire 800 port?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: using mbp for recording
on Jun 18, 2009 at 2:26:48 pm

Ed

You will need the Matrox MXO2 as your I/O and yes it uses the Express slot. The MXO2 allows you to use Final Cut Pro's Log and Capture and choose the codec of your choice. The uncompressed video is encoded by the computer with software directly to a hard drive.

The MXO2 can also allow you to use an affordable HDMI monitor in the field and it comes with a PCIe card for use with your Mac Pro back at the office. Very versatile tool.

If you used firewire then you would be limited to HDV and the encoding is immediately done on the camera then it is only transfered to the computer. You will not take advantage of the EX codec.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:37:07 pm

The MXO2 is a great I/O box ... I've got one and I love it! It's especially useful for field work as it runs off a standard field battery.
But to be fair its not your only option. AJA also make the new IoExpress You can indeed use the firewire interface of your laptop together with an AJA IoHD to capture your footage to Apple's ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ codec at full 1920x1080 resolution ... something you cannot do with an MXO2 on the same laptop. This is due to AJA's exclusive built-in hardware encoding/decoding support for Apple's proprietary ProRes codec. There is also the Motu V4HD I/O device which also connects by firewire and has built in hardware encoding/decoding support for DVCPRO HD. With either system you will also want / need a suitable fast external harddrive for your capture scratch. If you go with the MXO2 for example, then you'll probably need a FW800 attached RAID for best results. If you go with the AJA or Motu then you'd want / need an ExpressCard/34 eSATA adapter together with an eSATA drive or array for your capture scratch disc.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 18, 2009 at 4:11:29 pm

" You can indeed use the firewire interface of your laptop together with an AJA IoHD to capture your footage to Apple's ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 HQ codec at full 1920x1080 resolution "

Andy, I think you would agree this would be the worst possible way to use of any professional I/O equipment to get to Pro Rez, I'm sure you'll agree it is much better to avoid HDV compression before creating a 10 bit HD codec. This would be a good solution as a backup should the drive malfunction or someone forgot to record a clip.

BTW I know HDV can be captured to Pro Rez with FCP 6.0.2 but only to HDV specs 1440x1080, are you sure this hardware uncompresses it into 1920x1080 with firewire?

I do agree there are other I/O's solutions out there and I was offering what I believe is the best possible use to create the highest quality image.

Michael

Return to posts index

Gerry Curtis
on Jun 18, 2009 at 11:13:15 pm

Hi Michael,

I think Andy means to go out of the camera's SDI out into the SDI input of the I/O HD which can create the Prores files. The I/O interfaces to the macbook pro via firewire, I don't think he's suggesting connecting the camera to the firewire.

Cheers,
Gerry

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 19, 2009 at 3:06:32 am

Gerry,

I am often mistaken from not reading every word of a post and I don't have this AJA device. Your explanation helps me better understand what Andy was saying. My apologies to Andy.

When I think of firewire transporting HD I think of DVC Pro or HDV and I forget about Apple's Pro Rez transferring over firewire. My bad.

Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Gerry Curtis
on Jun 19, 2009 at 6:06:39 am

It took me a couple of passes to read his chock full of info posting myself. I just wanted to try to help clarify the aja io workflow for the original poster.

Cheers!
Gerry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]