FORUMS: list search recent posts

in field transfers to DVCAM

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Baz Leffler
in field transfers to DVCAM
on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:33:41 am

My producer has put me in a delima! She has promised an organisation that for permission to use their location they can have access to everything we shoot on the EX 1. They have a PD 150 that it is to transfer onto.
Only problem is, it can't be done! at least not in the field. The Ex 1 outputs HDV only if the stuff is shot at 25mbs but we have to shoot full 35mbs. I could always output downconverted SDI but I don't want to take a SDI to FW converter with me.

Have I been checkmated? How can I tell her that with all this fantasic new technology we can't give them news feeds.... oh well

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: in field transfers to DVCAM
on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:27:47 pm

>I could always output downconverted SDI but I don't want to take a SDI to FW converter with me.

Baz, Has your producer specifically promised that you will provide the footage as DV? If so then your hands are a little tied. You could output a realtime DV downconvert via FW from FCP but that would not be of great quality not to mention it being a bit of a pain. If there isn't a specific promise to provide the footage as DV then you could just dupe the originals and hand it over on a hard disc; let them on the receiving end deal with the footage as they choose.

... as for not wanting to take and SDI to DV convertor with you. If you've got one then it would seem to be the much easier option.

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:45:32 pm

Baz, you should talk to your producer. Actually she has put herself in the dilemma, not you. She should have talked to you immediately to discuss the workflow. Additional hardware and time comes out of somebody's pocket and it shouldn't be yours.

If you're bringing a laptop you can use ClipBrowser to downconvert the files to DV and then copy the files to a disk. That will take some time that someone pays for . . . even if it's your producer paying you and taking the loss.

If you must go out of the EX into the PD-150 you're going to embark on a messy workflow (downconvert SDI out to firewire) and that's going to be a distraction.

There's nothing wrong with bartering for a copy but they certainly could have given you breathing room to do it overnight.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:21:21 pm

I agree, it's up to the producer to make good on the promise they made. It's up to them to deliver. They need to ante up whatever it takes for you to convert the footage. Whether you rent/buy equipment to make the transfer or spend time after the shoot to convert it, there should be a cost passed on.

That's the kind of thing a producer should have checked on before making promises. I'm sure they were just thinking of getting access to the location, not how they'd actually make the barter happen. Now it's time to figure out how to deliver what they promised...but that isn't all on you.

Cf

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Jun 19, 2009 at 12:21:36 am

Thanks guys - it seems you all agree with my rationale.

My delima is a little more involved. We just finished a series with this producer and it was all shot on 4 x Sony Z1's.

This new series has to meet Discovery Channels 'silver' spec so I (yes me...) recommended the Sony EX 1. At a meeting I was asked if the EX 1 was the basic same operation as the Z1 so the crew didn't have to relearn everything. Of course I said "yes". So my producer knew that with the Z1 you could do a Firewire downconvert and dub to PD150 so on 'my' saying yes to the Z1/EX1 comparison she assumed it also included this FW feature.

As an added bonus it seems they want network feeds for various formats including SDI (the easy one....)

Anyhow I have told her it can't be done easily so I am putting together a 'plan B' which involves the ole MacBookPro solution as I have done in the past. Problem is I won't be doing any shooting, just the post so I have to teach these on location people how to do it... ummmm I wonder how much a SDI to FW converter is...? .... and if they run on batteries.....

thanks for you sympathies - Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Jun 19, 2009 at 3:49:21 am

Miranda make the "DV Bridge +" or there's the Canopus ADVC1000 ... both come in at around 2 grand tho

there's probably a host of others but those are the 2 main ones I think

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]