FORUMS: list search recent posts

PMW EX-1 Picture Profile Settings

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk Johnson
PMW EX-1 Picture Profile Settings
on Jun 18, 2009 at 6:23:54 am

Hey everyone,

I've done some searching on the internet for information about the EX-1 picture profile settings and wondered if you could chime in. Are there any settings you've used that you like? Under what conditions are they best? Is it better to turn picture profile OFF and deal with it all in post?

n00bfully yours,

Kirk

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
Re: PMW EX-1 Picture Profile Settings
on Jun 18, 2009 at 10:11:56 pm

Personally, I don't like dealing with color correction in post production primarily because it takes way too much of your time....I would only deal with unless I find it necessary...atleast thats what I think. Personally, I feel that you need to have a good foundation before you can alter anything in post production so thats why I don't rely on post production completely.....Picture profiles vary according to what you are shooting...I normally shoot corporate videos and weddings....here are my picture profile settings:

Matrix: On, High Saturation, +3
Gamma: 0, Cine 3 ( normally go back and forth b/w cine 3, cine4, standard 3, standard 4)
Black: -5
Black Gamma: -10
Low Key SAT: 0

My Gain Settings are -3 (low), 0(medium), 3 Or 6 (high)

As far as the white balance is concerned, I have 2 profiles set....the first one has a preset white of 3200K and the second one has a preset white of 5600K....If you are going to run AWB, I highly recommend buying those white balance cards and trust me do not shoot in "Auto" mode with this camera...the results will be satisfactory, but not exemplary.....

Return to posts index

Kirk Johnson
on Jun 18, 2009 at 11:13:57 pm

Thanks a lot!

I just ran a test with these settings and I like the look of it.

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
on Jun 19, 2009 at 3:11:24 pm

Keep me posted if you find any other settings for picture profiles....like you, I had to dig my way around the net to find it..

Return to posts index

Chris Clifton
on Jun 19, 2009 at 7:55:17 pm

The Vortex settings are terrific in any situation I've been in so far:

Matrix: ON
High SAT
White: Preset White: 5600
Gamma: CINE4
Black: -3
Black Gamma: -2

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 20, 2009 at 9:24:54 am

Couldn't agree more concerning the Vortex settings as explained by Doug Jensen in their wonderful double DVD EX workshop. This I honestly believe should be essential viewing for anyone new to these cameras, it saves weeks of experiment and trawling menus etc. He's a real pro and his chapters on dealing with the media are good too.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]