FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deleted clips on hard drive

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Howard
Deleted clips on hard drive
on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:03:49 pm

I transfered contents of several cards onto my MacPros external drives. About a week later, I was reorganizing them in Clip Browser to archive, when I think I must have accidently deleted one folder. I was working with 6-7 folders.
Now, I can't find it anywhere, not in garbage, in any other folders. When you delete in the Clip Browser, is it just gone? Or is there some hope of recovery?

Return to posts index

Brian Barkley
Re: Deleted clips on hard drive
on Jun 17, 2009 at 10:44:23 pm

I hear the sound of taps playing in the background.

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:52:57 am

Hi Scott,
The important thing to remember is if you have added anything else to the drive in question since the mistaken delete.
If you have then the answer is more than likely no, you have probably lost most if not all the information to make complete files. The layman reason for this is when you delete a file all you are doing is removing the directory instructions and not the file itself. The OS see's that there is now free space available and will start to overwrite those files with new data. So it depends on how much new data is overlaying the old data and how many files are affected.
If however you think that the drive is the same as the day you deleted the files then there is a chance for recovery. I did the same thing earlier this year and used a program called "Data Rescue" which enabled me to recover about 90% of the lost files. The recovered files won't have the original name however as that information is lost forever, so you may need to go through a long inspection process of opening all the recovered files to see what is what.
Data Rescue can be downloaded for a small fee.

Return to posts index

Brian Barkley
on Jun 18, 2009 at 12:31:20 pm

I always make it a rule to transfer memory cards to AT LEAST two sources. Those 2 sources are generally an external Seagate hard drive, and computer hard drive. I've even transfered to DVD as well on occasion.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2009 at 2:36:07 pm

That's why I make sure one of the backups is to optical disk (DVD-DL in my case but Blu-ray is certainly good too). One of the problems with hard drives, as noted, clips can be deleted.

Return to posts index

Scott Howard
on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:13:00 pm

Yes, that's what I was doing. I was preparing to back up to DL-DVD, organizing clips and making folders small enough to fit on the DVD. I only lost a few shots, nothing critical. I dump everything to a external HD via MacBookPro on the road. But in this case, these were the last shots of the morning, so I skipped the laptop and dumped them onto my tower after the two hour drive home. I then got all the clips together and was reorganizing for better filing. That's when it must have happened.

I understand how it all works, but another level of protection would be nice, at least as a user option. Something like a trash bin for the Clip Browser or a pop up when you are deleting an entire folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]