FORUMS: list search recent posts

Client needs to view XD video on a PC

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denis O'Keefe
Client needs to view XD video on a PC
on Jun 16, 2009 at 6:12:47 pm

I shot on my SxS cards and dumped the files to a mac formatted portable drive, and handed it off to the producer. My client needs to log on a PC and cannot see this drive on his machine.
Can I simply format a different drive as FAT32, then copy the BPAV over, or will I need to write the BPAV back to the card, then put it on the fat32 drive.
I don't have a PC here to try it out, I'm hoping someone has done this so I can get it right.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: Client needs to view XD video on a PC
on Jun 16, 2009 at 7:52:48 pm

DId you transfer the BPAV folders to your Mac formatted drive or did you transcode the native .mp4 files to .mov and transfer those to the drive? To keep the EX video as generic as you can for the Windows editor just transfer the BPAV folders to the drive.

You want to make it as easy as possible for your client to access the video on their Windows machine. What I do is to format a small hard drive in Windows NTFS format and then I bought Paragon Software's program called NTFS for MacĀ® OS X 7.0.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

This will enable you to read and write to a Windows formatted hard drive. Then you go to your client's Windows machine and connect your drive to it. It will show up on their desktop because it's now a Windows hard drive.

FAT32 is much more trouble than it's worth for a few reasons:

FAT32 has a 4 Gbyte file size limit. That's the same as the SxS cards but you have to make darn sure that the BPAV folders are successfully transferred. I've never been able to transfer a BPAV folder over to a FAT32 drive without my Mac telling me that the files didn't transfer properly.

You can format a hard drive in FAT32 using your Mac but I've never been able to get a Windows machine to see the drive properly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the Paragon solution is seamless, quick and easy. Surely there must be someone close by to you with a Windows machine that can do a low level NTFS format on a small USB hard drive. You only need to do it once then you can use it over and over again to transfer files to a Windows computer. You could even use a USB thumb drive to transfer files and mail it to the client. I've done that, too.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael Pruitt-Bruun
on Nov 15, 2010 at 4:06:38 pm

FAT32 is much more trouble than it's worth for a few reasons:

FAT32 has a 4 Gbyte file size limit. That's the same as the SxS cards but you have to make darn sure that the BPAV folders are successfully transferred. I've never been able to transfer a BPAV folder over to a FAT32 drive without my Mac telling me that the files didn't transfer properly.

You can format a hard drive in FAT32 using your Mac but I've never been able to get a Windows machine to see the drive properly. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but the Paragon solution is seamless, quick and easy. Surely there must be someone close by to you with a Windows machine that can do a low level NTFS format on a small USB hard drive. You only need to do it once then you can use it over and over again to transfer files to a Windows computer. You could even use a USB thumb drive to transfer files and mail it to the client. I've done that, too.

- Don

hmm. i've been told by someone fairly high up in the apple food chain that osx does not support writing to NTFS. while he acknowledged that there are 3rd party applications that make it possible he stated that if it were his data, he would not do it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 15, 2010 at 5:32:37 pm

[Michael Pruitt-Bruun] "hmm. i've been told by someone fairly high up in the apple food chain that osx does not support writing to NTFS. while he acknowledged that there are 3rd party applications that make it possible he stated that if it were his data, he would not do it."

So Parallels and Fusion are unreliable? My Parallels drive is NTFS. I drag and drop all the time. It works well. It allows me to do use Windows only software / Mac only software and pass the resultant files back and forth.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 16, 2009 at 8:36:47 pm

FAT32 will work.
MacDrive, for $50, is a very inexpensive solution though.
http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/
Allows Windows computers to see Mac formated HFS+ drives.

Return to posts index

Denis O'Keefe
on Jun 16, 2009 at 11:31:04 pm

Thanks, the fat32 worked fine - I tried it on a friend's Mac running Win under Fusion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]