FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcend 16GB error issues

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Zwicker
Transcend 16GB error issues
on Jun 16, 2009 at 5:54:05 pm

Seems everytime I press record with a 16gb Class 6 Transcend card in an AFT ProExpress-7 card holder I get an error from my EX3. "Media needs to be Restored".
This is after already reformatting.
I have 3 AFT holders and 6 different cards adn I have swapped them out and tried all cards in different holders.
Sometimes I reformat and everything is fine-record for 30 minutes at 1080/60i. Stop and try to record again-error message once again!

Arrrrggh.

Ideas I am running out of Sony 16 GB cards and do not want to have to dump them in the field.

Paul Zwicker
ZwickFlicks LLC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Transcend 16GB error issues
on Jun 16, 2009 at 8:27:20 pm

Use MxR, MxM, Hoodman adaptors ONLY. They have been tested and proven reliable (all coming from the same manufacturer).

What led you to believe something else would work reliably? Why would you risk it when the aforementioned three adaptors are inexpensive and tested?

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Jun 16, 2009 at 8:57:42 pm

Craig,

This thread led me to the purchase of the AFT units.
Hope I can return them and get the ones you refer to.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/864864#864883

Paul

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 16, 2009 at 9:26:12 pm

Based on ONE report (who had been on the COW for a couple of weeks although no inherent fault in that).

A search would have shown Michael Palmer, myself and other EX veterans all have months of post about the Mx solutions which have been designed and tested SPECIFICALLY for use in the EX.

Using the COW search is very important and too often neglected research tool. Google itself would have brought you to the MxR, MxM, Hoodman web pages complete with details about their tests and testament to reliability with the EX.

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Jun 19, 2009 at 8:26:45 am

I apologize if my post has created trouble for anyone. As I had mentioned in my earlier posts I had success with six of the AFT adapters, only one was defective which when got replaced worked fine. One of my seven AFT adapters since gave error a couple of times and I see that it has a dent on it which may or may not be the culprit.
But last Sunday I had a long continuous shoot on tripod for about 8 hrs and at the end of the day I ran out of Sandisks and had to use a cheaper Microcenter brand 16gig. It started giving media error after a few minutes in spite of changing slots and reinstating. And it was in the MxR adapter. The adapter was rather hot so I, out of desperation, put the card in an AFT and it recorded for the rest of the event without error!
I don't work for AFT. I chanced upon AFT thru trial and error of different brands (mostly because when I ordered the MxR it was taking a long time to get).
Recently my 32 gig Transcend card died AFTER I copied a shoot out of it, thank God! The reason might have been that I put a sticker on it to identify and it was fitting tight in the adapter. Not sure if that caused its demise. Transcend sent me a new one and I recorded three times on it today filling and reformatting. Initially I had to format it in different slots a couple of times before it would embark on its task.
Is heat from continuous use contributing to errors, I am beginning to wonder.

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Jun 18, 2009 at 11:41:46 am

are you confident you got real transcend class 6 cards?

There are counterfit cards going around from 3rd party re-sellers and on e-bay.

Go here to check the cards...

http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/SerialCheck_tw.asp?LangNo=0&Func1No=2&F...

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Jun 18, 2009 at 2:10:59 pm

Ed
I am checking that right now. Purchased from Newegg last week in 3 different orders.

Return to posts index

Paul Zwicker
on Jun 18, 2009 at 2:39:10 pm

All my Transcend cards are legitimate.
Lesson learned-AFT ProExpress-7 card readers do NOT work with these cards in Sony EX cameras.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2009 at 2:54:12 pm

You'll find that do to QC or actually lack of QC, there may be adaptors that have varying results. Before the M series was developed and QCd specifically for EX compatibility, there were various adaptors (Kensington and Delkin come to mind) that had varying success and failure. It was the fact that SOME did work (and others didn't) which I suspect motivated Ross (MxR) to see if he (the manufacturer he found) could nail the specifics to get consistent results. It's that QC and results that makes the MxR, MxM, Hoodman the value that they are.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 18, 2009 at 4:40:48 pm

This is very troubling. I purchased 5 of these through an Amazon.com retailer and none of them have serial numbers.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2009 at 4:53:49 pm

It seems counterfeiting is so rampant that I'd only buy from reputable dealers such as Newegg or J&R and a few others.

Even then I run every card through a test before hand.
One test is to put a card in each slot and let the camera record straight through end to end. It might be worthwhile to do that twice.
The next test would be sort records, making sure you give enough time for the file to finish writing after each, and randomly deleting clips along the way.
I also do a Slow Motion record test for 2 to 3 minutes at a time. Advancing the frame rate one frame at a time until one gets an error during that record duration. That lets me know the card overheard.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:06:37 pm

Craig
I couldn't agree more with testing as you have stated.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 20, 2009 at 3:38:26 pm

Well, my cards do have serial numbers after all. They are just very hard to see with my aged eyes. They are printed in very faint yellow ink, and you have to tilt the card just right, so the light catches the numbers. A magnifying glass also helps. I checked with Transcend, and the numbers are legit. No cause for panic.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 21, 2009 at 3:28:35 pm

Please add your camera info to the link

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/865340

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]