FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 capture direct to Hard drive

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph wilkins
EX1 capture direct to Hard drive
on Jun 15, 2009 at 9:39:36 pm

How do I capture an image directly from my EX1 to my hard drive? Do I use the USB?

I just want to capture into quicktime or FCP log and capture

thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 capture direct to Hard drive
on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:06:13 pm

USB for file transfer only
Firewire for HDV compatible but not XDCAM.
HD-SDI will give you 10 bit Uncompressed with embedded audio and time code.
You may need an AJA I/O or Matrox MXO2. Telestream Pipeline HD can do this and should allow you to edit while you capture no less but there may be other devices worth recommending as well.

Might I ask why you need direct to edit system necessary?
I ask because I've seen people make some "unusual" assumption about workflow and never include the motive or reason in the post. That you're asking about USB leads me to believe you're not sure about the workflow and the data rate you need to handle or how this would normally be done.

Return to posts index

joseph wilkins
on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:10:14 pm

Actually I just bought Conduit... a real time keying solution from DV Garage.com

I am trying to get a signal into my macbook, but all I get is the built in cameras image

Do you have any idea how I do this?

thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:48:09 pm

http://media.padd.com/samples/conduit2/conduit2_live_intro.mov

And if you look at the demo he says he's pulling it in live from the EX. He doesn't say how

I see this in the manual so it's very unclear what input devices they're compatible with.
Since they're using the EX obviously it's either HDV via firewire or some HD-SDI input device.

The video devices listed in the popup menu are determined by the drivers installed
on your system. There may be devices listed that are not actually active on your
system (for example you may see multiple options for “DVCPRO HD” even though
you don’t have such a device attached – this is because the driver in question always
reports itself as active regardless of actual connections).
Some video devices can be further configured through their own settings dialog. You
can use the Settings button below the popup to access the configuration dialog. This
step is often required for video capture cards that support many video
standards.
The Settings button is only visible for devices that can be configured.

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY
The new capture model introduced in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard supports most old
capture drivers, but does not allow access to the configuration dialogs. If you are using
the Leopard version of Conduit Live and find that you need to access the configuration
dialog for a video device, you should switch to the Tiger version of Conduit Live (10.4
compatible). It uses the old capture architecture and allows access to all driver features.
Both the Leopard and Tiger versions of Conduit Live are provided as part of your
Conduit Suite purchase. (The Leopard version of Conduit Live was not included in the
original release, but was added to the Suite in mid-2008.)

Return to posts index

John Doody
on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:08:16 pm

Here's something I found. I've been thinking about getting the EX1 and I want more storage for a smaller price tag.

http://www.xdcamexinfo.com/UxX/index.htm

As for Conduit-no idea, sorry. Never tried it, but it does look pretty cool. Check this link out- http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/142/857201

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2009 at 7:25:47 pm

In Joseph's case I believe he wants to do a live key rather than after data is recorded.

Here's the link to e-films hard drive adaptor.
http://e-films.com.au/shoppingcart/pages/News-and-Product-Announcements.htm...

And as already mentioned elsewhere there' Convergent Design's nanFlash which takes the HD-SDI out before the XDCAM codec touches it, to make much higher resolution files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]