FORUMS: list search recent posts

Couple of questions about EX1-EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kyle powers
Couple of questions about EX1-EX3
on Jun 15, 2009 at 5:05:06 pm

Some really basic questions for the forum. I'm looking at Cams for shooting Indie films. Currently looking at the EX1-EX3. Wondering about the the practical implications of long GOP interframe compression when it comes to editing. Second question regarding CMOS verses CCD. I plan to shoot indoors and out most likely with low light requirements. Should I have any concerns with this cam given my intended use? Any imput would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Couple of questions about EX1-EX3
on Jun 15, 2009 at 5:55:51 pm

Hi Kyle,
Unless you work with few layers you won't notice that you are working with MPEG-2.
The data rate is a big higher than DV. You can work with FW800 HDs.
Don't render back to EX-1.
About the picture quality and behave in low light conditions (I think very god) I would recommend you to rent one day the camera and try it.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:35:14 pm

The EX series cameras are currently the most light sensitive in the hand-held category regardless of price. The advantage of shooting with CMOS over CCD is that there will be no vertical smear from light sources (such as a candle, etc). However, the CMOS cameras are a little more apt to show power fluctuations with house lighting than CCD cameras do. The EX cameras have various settings to deal with this

- Don

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:08:51 pm

Its simply a wonderful camera...If you ask me a little heavy and cumbersome for a hand held camera; however the overall functionality of it is superb I would say....I wouldn't think twice about buying another ex1 or ex3....The fact that the ex3 has the capability of interchangeable lens and a few other features doesn't justify the extra $2k...atleast not for me.....

Lastly, ....be very careful with the MxM SDHC adapters and SDHC cards when you are recording....with these cards, once stop recording you will NEED TO WAIT approximately 5-7 seconds for the camera to write to the card...the actual SxS cards don't take as much time though...maybe 2-3 seconds I would say...I know that because I am actually going through that problem right now and in dire need to get the clips off the card....people on this forums are extremely helpful if you have any questions

Return to posts index

John Woods
on Jun 16, 2009 at 7:14:24 pm

Akbar, can you say what happens when you don't wait?

John Woods
WOODS Productions
Clifton Park, NY, USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]