Please Help Me..Error Media Needs To Be Restore

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Akbar Ukani
Please Help Me..Error Media Needs To Be Restore
on Jun 14, 2009 at 1:35:45 pm

camera: sony xdcam ex1
recording unit: mxs sdhc adapter with sandisk 16Gb

So I was recording an event (quite an important one) and all of a sudden my camera shows me the error "media needs to be restored" and switches to the second slot. I am trying to get the files off the card with the error; however the card is not being recognized by the camera's media interface or the sdhc card reader I have.

I have not formatted the card through the camera or the computer.

I have almost 45 min of recording and losing it means I am down $4....What are my options to recover the files? I don't mind spending money on it if it means I recover the files...I tried using those free recovery softwares; however scanning the sectors doesn't yield me anything

Please someone out there help me with this

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Please Help Me..Error Media Needs To Be Restore
on Jun 14, 2009 at 4:37:28 pm

[Akbar Ukani] "I have almost 45 min of recording and losing it means I am down $4"
I hope the 45 minutes is shoot in few cuts. the longer the shoot the longer file we risk to get corrupted.
Anyway I found much easier to recover files from an SDHC card than from a SxS card. I just had a hard experience with those. I have to write a long post with all the details.
Tell me if you got to mount the card.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:40:08 am

Hey Rafael,

I surely do appreciate you taking the time to respond back. Unfortunately, I cannot get the card to "mount" via disk utility..here is what I did

- took out the sdhc card and put it in a usb reader...card doesn't show up in disk utility nor on the desktop

- put the card back into the adapater (tried 2 different adapters) and used XDCam's media interface...the computer asked me if i want to "initialize, eject or ignore"...I click on initialze and disk utility shows up with the card showing i have "14.8GB"..but no option to "mount" the bloody thing

BTW yes those 45 minutes were broken down into clips of maybe 15-20 seconds average..

1. From experience, do you know if the data is there?..

2. Oh one more thing, the dumbest thing on my behalf, believe it or not I had another card (sandisk) lying around which gave me the same error before but clips on it were just test clips so I didn't bother with it...the card showed IDENTICAL symptoms. I connected the card via the camera and within disk utility I tried to "format"; HOWEVER this option was where the data would be in tact but the information which controls the card would be formatted (found under security options and the first check box is marked)...Doing this gave me an "input/output error"?

Man this is so frustrating...I am seriously going nucking futs here...pardon me...If only I had 3 wishes here?..trying to stay positive...I have inquired about a few websites in the U.S which specialize in data recovery...if i have to spend a $1000...I am willing to do it...will keep you posted

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 15, 2009 at 5:04:15 pm

Hi Akbar,
Even if the card have been formated you may recover everything.
Download the demos of DataRescue and FileSalvage and run them.
rafael

Return to posts index

Patrik Kisucky
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:52:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, I used SDHC card - sandisk 16GB, Man hood adapter, and got media error, card needs to be restored note. I can't mount the card, restore it, nothing. Would you be able to help and tell me how can I get my lost footage, maybe recommend a company, that would be able to do it.

Thanks,

Patrik

Return to posts index

Jim Pettersen
on Feb 9, 2010 at 4:28:09 pm

Hi to everybody. Great to find such a plethora of pros on the subject of Sony EX1. I have a similar problem that i very much need help with.
I filmed in -30 celcius and the SDHC card came upp and wanted to be restored, that went ok. Next time it came up with a message I failed to read the message (took for granted that it was the same message) but it must have said "media error" must reformat. I pressed the execute button in a pressed situation :(. The card mounts with a USB card reader, but the media is gone away with the dodo bird. I got Data rescue 3 and File Salvage 7. Scanned the drive and got "a_number.MP4" files out of the scan. I can not open any of the files (not even with VLC Media player wich can open the XX.MP4 files found inside BPAV folders on the SxS cards or SDHC cards). I get an error message that the "moov box" is missing. Nor can I open or import with FCP, Sony transfer or clip browser. Any idea what I can do to fix this (convert the files?, or other solution? As you can imagine Im not going back to -30 celcius, far far up north to lapland to reshoot. Any suggestion are much much welcome.

Best
Jim

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Jun 14, 2009 at 5:22:37 pm

Hi Akbar - I was in the same situation as you a few weeks back with a 16gb Sandisk. As with you, I suddenly got the media needs to be restored message and of course, it wouldn't restore. Also, the card was not recognised by the camera. However, when I purchased the MxR adapters, I bought the usb card reader. In my case, I got the card to mount using this. However, I couldn't copy the BPAV folder across as the formatting seemed to have got corrupted. By extracting the MP4 files individually from the BPAV folder I retrieved all the clips except for the one I was filming when I got the error. Every time I attempted to access this clip, the computer 'hung' which suggested a format error.

I don't know whether you had just the one (large) clip or a series - if so (a few clips) I think that you should be ok.

Truly horrid situation, I know. I have now stopped using the SDHC cards and adapters and have splashed out on 2 Sony 16Gb SxS cards. Can't afford the risk on a job and gives greater peace of mind.

Good luck - Martin

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Jun 15, 2009 at 3:16:30 am

Just curious, did anyone name the cards via a computer? ie Card 01 or something.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 15, 2009 at 5:24:12 am

Hi Matthew,
Yes, i renamed the cards with the Mac.
rafael

Return to posts index

Matthew Romanis
on Jun 15, 2009 at 7:20:29 am

I have only found that I get the error when the card has been renamed or I have just deleted the BVAP folder and re inserted the card.
I now only use the cameras format option and have not had the error since.
I can't explain it yet, I've only had the camera short while. The problem was a bit inconsistent to say with any certainty that this is the problem, but it might resolve some issues.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 15, 2009 at 7:55:45 am

I believe the issue is that the Computer leaves some invisible files that the EX doesn't like (not part of its data structure). I delete the Clips using ClipBrowser only. If I need to format I do that in the camera. The first time you name the card you may get a Restore Media message and that will then fix it but once you do that it should be OK. I do not believe in formating the cards frequently.

Return to posts index

Christopher nguyen
..Error Media Needs To Be Restore
on May 3, 2011 at 11:22:26 pm

Hi
can you hep me restore sd card 32 gb for sony pmw ex1 please
vesion 1.20
thank you very much

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: ..Error Media Needs To Be Restore
on May 3, 2011 at 11:41:35 pm

Buried in a two year old thread would make it hard for others to find your post.

When you get that message you simply answer yes and the camera will restore it.

Return to posts index

Christopher nguyen
on May 4, 2011 at 11:14:08 pm

i can not see on the screen have said yes or cancel , but it appear
media a to be restored
that my proplem,
thak you

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 4, 2011 at 11:25:38 pm

Try removing the adaptor and putting it back in the camera. The Restore command might than appear.

Return to posts index

Christopher nguyen
on May 5, 2011 at 8:13:11 am

i have removed the adapter and SD card so many time ,but stil nothing happen,any diffrent way can you help me
thank you

Return to posts index

Christopher nguyen
on May 4, 2011 at 11:17:41 pm

i can not see on the screen have said yes or cancel , but it appear
media a to be restored
that my proplem,
thak you

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 5, 2011 at 7:24:35 pm

Is there media on the card you would like to keep? If not then you can put your card into an SDHC reader and have your computer delete the files. Then put the card + adapter back in the camera and it should prompt you to reformat the card. If not then get the camera to do it anyway.

If there is media you would like to keep first write-protect the card then try to access the BPAV folder with your SDHC reader and copy it to your hard drive. Then try to access the media from the copied BPAV folder using your usual methods.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:41:44 am

I know about your situation..I googled it and your information about the card came up...that's how I came across Rafael...Thank you for posting...will keep you posted

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 15, 2009 at 7:39:33 am

Sorry for being redundant but just so we know the details.
Exactly what type of Sandisk 16GB SDHC cards are these? Ultra II Class 2, Ultra II Class 4, Extreme III Class 6. One of the cards labeled SDHC "Video?"

Recap and questions

When the cared failed you got a Restore Media message, correct?

Did you try to restore the media before removing the card from the camera?
If so what message did you get?

When you put the card in the camera now what message does it show?
This can give a clue to the current state of the card.

[Akbar Ukani] "- took out the sdhc card and put it in a usb reader...card doesn't show up in disk utility nor on the desktop "
Just to be clear, are you saying you put the card in an SDHC card reader hooked to the USB port of your computer? Even a raw card should show up normally.

[Akbar Ukani] "- put the card back into the adapater (tried 2 different adapters) and used XDCam's media interface...the computer asked me if i want to "initialize, eject or ignore"...I click on initialze and disk utility shows up with the card showing i have "14.8GB"..but no option to "mount" the bloody thing "
You initialized the card?

[Akbar Ukani] "1. From experience, do you know if the data is there?.. "
Not if you initialized the card although it may still be rescued since it may only be the directory that was written over. If you did do that though and the card still can't mount is seems like maybe the card itself is damaged rather than simply the file structure.

Did you buy the card from a reputable dealer? There are counterfeit Sandisks out there.

[Akbar Ukani] "2. Oh one more thing, the dumbest thing on my behalf, believe it or not I had another card (sandisk) lying around which gave me the same error before but clips on it were just test clips so I didn't bother with it...the card showed IDENTICAL symptoms."

Which does make me wonder if these are counterfeit. I will say that recent Sandisk SDHC Ultra II Class 4 cards seem to be unreliable but even that shouldn't result in an unmountable card once initialized.

[Akbar Ukani] "I connected the card via the camera and within disk utility I tried to "format"; HOWEVER this option was where the data would be in tact but the information which controls the card would be formatted (found under security options and the first check box is marked)...Doing this gave me an "input/output error"?"

I'm not sure I follow you. You tried to format this previous card and you got an input/output error?
I can't help but be suspicious of the source of the cards because this goes beyond an EX corrupted data on the card issue.

Just as something to try, use an SDHC reader to USB on a Windows box and see if the card with the clips on it is seen.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 15, 2009 at 9:28:32 am

Hi Craig,
Hi Was using a SanDisk Class 4.

[Craig Seeman] "Just to be clear, are you saying you put the card in an SDHC card reader hooked to the USB port of your computer? Even a raw card should show up normally. "
No.
I had to failing SDHC cards. One shows up as a Raw card: Asked to format or eject it.
The other simply wasn't recognized by the computer. The same that when a HD die.
Anyway I think that the USB interface of the SDHC cards make the task of recovering files no much difficult. The Express interface of the SxS cards complicates things a lot. Recovering software can't do much.
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 15, 2009 at 2:23:00 pm

[Rafael Amador] "Hi Was using a SanDisk Class 4. "
It seems the new Class 4 are simply not reliable.

[Rafael Amador] "I had to failing SDHC cards. One shows up as a Raw card: Asked to format or eject it.
The other simply wasn't recognized by the computer. The same that when a HD die. "

That seems a lot worse than simply a corrupted file. I wouldn't expect that to happen since it seems much more a fundamental issue that EX BPAV specific. This would make the card risky for photographers as well as consumer AVCHD codec SD card users. I can't believe Sandisk would have such poor Quality Control.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 15, 2009 at 3:06:23 pm

In both SDHC cards I found greyed MP4s.
I think is just a problem on writing.
I give up to use them since that problem.
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 15, 2009 at 3:36:43 pm

[Rafael Amador] "In both SDHC cards I found greyed MP4s. "
So if the MP4s are there, assuming not corrupted themselves, they should be recoverable.

[Rafael Amador] "I give up to use them since that problem. "
I've been using two Sandisk 32GB Ultra II Class 2 cards since January and NEVER had a problem, Never needed to restore. Sandisk since then labeled Ultra 2 Class 4 and it is ONLY those cards I've ever heard problems with. I generally don't hear about problems with Transcend Class 6 cards either.

I would not stop using SDHC. I would not use Sandisk Ultra II Class 4 though.

BTW I'll reiterate a warning mentioned in other posts on this forum. SDHC takes longer to finish the write than SxS. This means one can't go out of and back into record too quickly. That could certainly be cause of an error. That should NOT affect the ability to recover the clips should that happen though. That's why I suspect the issue in this thread goes beyond that. It sounds like the card itself is damaged in some way.

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
on Jun 15, 2009 at 4:34:54 pm

Hey Craig...no need to apologize for asking me redundant questions.....Here is the info:

Card: Sandisk 16Gb SDHC card Ultra II Class 4 with a MxM SDHC adapter

Below are the answers to your questions...Please don't mind the CAPS..It's just to differentiate to make it easier to read...

1. When the cared failed you got a Restore Media message, correct?
1. NOPE...I DIDN'T GET THE OPTION TO RESTORE THE MEDIA....ALL IT SAID WAS "MEDIA ERROR....MEDIA(A) NEEDS TO BE RESTORED" AND IT SWITCHED TO SLOT B TO RECORD

2. Did you try to restore the media before removing the card from the camera?

If so what message did you get?
2. DIDN'T GET THE OPTION TO RESTORE THE MEDIA...JUST THREW ME THE ERROR

3. When you put the card in the camera now what message does it show?

This can give a clue to the current state of the card.
3. AFTER ALL THE THINGS I DID ON THE MAC TO CONNECT THE CARD, I GET THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE WHEN THE CARD IS INSERTED IN THE CAMERA SLOT....I EVEN TRIED 2 DIFFERENT MxM ADAPTERS.....SAME MESSAGE

4.[Akbar Ukani] "- took out the sdhc card and put it in a usb reader...card doesn't show up in disk utility nor on the desktop "

4. Just to be clear, are you saying you put the card in an SDHC card reader hooked to the USB port of your computer? Even a raw card should show up normally.
4. I TOOK THE CARD OUT OF THE ADAPTER AND PUT IT IN THE USB SDHC READER BY SANDISK.....I SAW A LIGHT BLINKING FOR A FEW SECONDS AND THEN NOTHING....THE CARD DOESN'T SHOW UP IN DISK UTILITY AND IT DOES NOT MOUNT ON THE DESKTOP

5. [Akbar Ukani] "- put the card back into the adapater (tried 2 different adapters) and used XDCam's media interface...the computer asked me if i want to "initialize, eject or ignore"...I click on initialze and disk utility shows up with the card showing i have "14.8GB"..but no option to "mount" the bloody thing "

5. You initialized the card?
5. WHEN I TRIED TO MOUNT THE CARD VIA THE CAMERA'S MEDIA INTERFACE, IT ASKED ME ON THE MAC IF I WISH TO "INITIALIZE", "EJECT" OR "IGNORE".....I HIT "INITIALIZE" AND THE CARD SHOWS UP IN DISK UTILITY

6. [Akbar Ukani] "1. From experience, do you know if the data is there?.. "

6. Not if you initialized the card although it may still be rescued since it may only be the directory that was written over. If you did do that though and the card still can't mount is seems like maybe the card itself is damaged rather than simply the file structure.

6. OH MAN =(...THIS ANSWER GIVES ME THE FEELING AS IF MY HEART JUST CAME UP TO MY THROAT......I DON'T SEE HOW INITIALIZING THE CARD CAN ERASE THE DATA...I THOUGHT WHEN YOU "FORMAT" THE CARD IS WHEN THE DATA CAN BE ERASED....OF COURSE EVEN FORMATTING HAS DIFFERENT OPTIONS..

7. Did you buy the card from a reputable dealer? There are counterfeit Sandisks out there.
7. THIS SUCKS....SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT FROM NEWEGG....I BOUGHT THE CARDS FROM AMAZON....PURCHASED 2 TRANSCEND CARDS FROM NEWEGG...NO PROBLEMS (CROSSING MY FINGERS)....SCREW AMAZON...I RATHER PAY THE EXTRA MONEY AND GET IT FROM AMAZON.....THIS MIGHT BE A COUNTERFEIT CARD....WHICH I HOPE DOESN'T DIMINISH THE CHANCES OF EXTRACTING THE DATA....ANYWAY TO TELL IF ITS A COUNTERFEIT CARD?

8. [Akbar Ukani] "2. Oh one more thing, the dumbest thing on my behalf, believe it or not I had another card (sandisk) lying around which gave me the same error before but clips on it were just test clips so I didn't bother with it...the card showed IDENTICAL symptoms."

8. Which does make me wonder if these are counterfeit. I will say that recent Sandisk SDHC Ultra II Class 4 cards seem to be unreliable but even that shouldn't result in an unmountable card once initialized.
8. THE FACT THAT THIS OCCURS MAKES ME THINK THAT THE CONTROLLER ON THE CARD WHICH ASSISTS IN MOUNTING AND SO FORTH MAY BE DAMAGED ALSO...

9. [Akbar Ukani] "I connected the card via the camera and within disk utility I tried to "format"; HOWEVER this option was where the data would be in tact but the information which controls the card would be formatted (found under security options and the first check box is marked)...Doing this gave me an "input/output error"?"

I'm not sure I follow you. You tried to format this previous card and you got an input/output error?

I can't help but be suspicious of the source of the cards because this goes beyond an EX corrupted data on the card issue.
9. WHEN I CONNECTED THE CARD VIA THE CAMERA, IT ASKED ME IF I WISH TO INITIALIZE....I HIT INITIALIZE AND DISK UTILITY WITHIN OS X POPS UP AND HERE IS WHAT I DID FROM THERE
- CLICK ON THE CARD WHICH SHOWS UP IN DISK UTILITY
- HIT THE 'ERASE' TAB
- HIT THE 'SECURITY OPTION'
- SELECT THE VERY FIRST OPTION (FORMATS THE INFORMATION THAT CONTROLS THE CARD...DOESN'T AFFECT THE DATA...GOES ON TO SAY THAT THE DATA CAN BE RETRIEVED USING SOFTWARE)
- I HIT 'ERASE' AND IT THROWS BACK "INPUT/OUTPUT" ERROR

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 15, 2009 at 4:55:14 pm

[Akbar Ukani] "...THIS MIGHT BE A COUNTERFEIT CARD."
No, just Class 4.
I order Amazon Class 6 but they sent Class 4.
One card worked fine for ne week, one died the first day.
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 15, 2009 at 6:02:08 pm

Given all the above, I can't help Akbar has either a rare bad card or a counterfeit. The issue sounds beyond normal data corruption or a Class 4 incompatibility. It sounds like a defective card.

I'd trust Newegg before some unknown dealer using Amazon

I'm not sure if the link will work be here's Sandisk KB on the subject.

http://kb.sandisk.com/cgi-bin/sandisk_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqi...

As Rafael points out, the card can still be rescued as long as it was not a low level format. It sounds like you didn't do that so you should be OK there. If the card is defective though it could be more serious.

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:15:47 pm

Hey Craig,

Thank you for your assistance....I am going to send the card in to this data recovery firm which specializes in it...so hopefully they can give me an estimate....right now if they ask me to put $2k down for the recovery I am going to have to do it...its pretty much my neck in their hands...

but hopefully it won't be a serious problem because I have recorded on that card maybe 2 or 3 times before without any problems....After reading the previous posts, I have a haunch that I didn't wait long enough for the camera to finish writing to the card before hitting the record button....If i had only known earlier.....will keep you guys posted on it

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Jun 15, 2009 at 10:27:12 pm

It is not helpful to know this now, but when you record on SDHC cards you can see that the red access light will be on for about five to ten seconds before it becomes green, after you hit the stop (recording) button. One thing I have learned in a couple of months of using these cards is that they are very delicate to handle. Even the adapters need to be carried in pouches so as not to get dented.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jun 16, 2009 at 1:52:37 am

[Akbar Ukani] "Thank you for your assistance....I am going to send the card in to this data recovery firm which specializes in it...so hopefully they can give me an estimate....right now if they ask me to put $2k down for the recovery I am going to have to do it...its pretty much my neck in their hands... "
They probably will run any of the applications that you can run by yourself.
rafael

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
on Jun 16, 2009 at 4:16:52 am

Well I figured they will run some diagnostics on the card for free...I figured it is worth the risk since they actually specialize in data recovery and most importantly do it for free....they'll charge me only if they find some data....I am assuming it will be somewhere around $800-$1000.....If you ask me its going to take them actually splitting the card open and retrieving the information...right now I could care less about saving the card

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 16, 2009 at 4:21:52 pm

I just want to point out that if the lock is LOCKED on the SDHC card then it can't be restored. You must allow the card to be written to to restore the media.

Restoring the media is safe, it won't erase any of the clips.

I make a habit of locking my cards when I remove them from the camera/adapter.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
on Jun 16, 2009 at 10:30:31 pm

I don't think the card was locked...I wish it were that easy....besides the xdcams show a "lock" symbol when you insert a locked card in order to record (sdhc or solid state)....I have made up my mind..I am doing away with this SDHC thing...Sandisk sdhc cards are down the garbage (since i bought them off amazon...likely bad cards) and I am keeping the two transcend cards which I bought from newegg as backups..

Sandisk 8Gb SxS cards are going out a little cheap...I still need to research the cards....but the cost is certainly justified....I really don't need the stress with the SDHC adapters and cards taking a dump on me during a shoot...More important things to worry about during a shoot instead of that..

Anyhow I thought this data recovery service is everywhere...Found a few in the atlanta downtown area..Will be going there tomorrow to drop off the card

Return to posts index

Christian Forster
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:42:35 pm

Hi there,

I have a similar issue:
Camera: Sony EX1
Card:SanDisk Video HD class 4 16GB with card adapter

I had worked with that card before, and everything was fine, but today - while on a very important shoot - I suddenly got the message: "media error - media needs to be restored" while I was filming a clip. I had filmed about 20 mins of footage before, and had already looked at it in the media mode. It was all fine. But then, I think I touched the San Disk card while filming, the camera lost touch of the card while writing? (I cannot close the slot protection cap when filming with those SD cards, so the cap pressed against the card at one stage, just when it happened).
I wasn't able to go on writing on that card.
If I insert the card into the camera again, it says "media needs to be restored".
But if I accept, don't I erase all my data?
Is restoring safe? Isn't that what you use to delete all data?
Are there any SD cards and adapters that still let you close the slot protection slide cap?

I am a little confused and since this is just about the most important material I've ever shot, I would very much appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Return to posts index

Christian Forster
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:02:48 pm

In the meantime I inserted the SD card into a USB card reader. I was able to transfer the BPAV onto my hard drive. However, when I try to open the material with XDCAM clip browser, I get the following message:
"The folder contains some incomplete clips. Please copy all the files in the (BPAV) folder under the selected folder to SxS card and execute salvage operation on the recording equipment".
So does that mean I should accept "media restore" on the camera?

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:34:26 pm

Hi Christian - sorry to hear about your problem - sounds like you should be ok though.

You should be able to access your clips using XDCAM Transfer - you might have to navigate through the BPAV folders to the mp4 files and once it sees these, you should be able to access the clips. It worked for me, Also I found that a corrupted clip would play until two thirds way through then gave the spinning beach ball. On restarting XDCAM Transfer and positioning an OUT marker a few secs before this, I was able to salvage the good part of the corrupted clip.

Hope this helps - it should get the files into a format readable by FCP, if not restoring the BPAV structure.

Martin

Return to posts index

Christian Forster
on Dec 5, 2009 at 11:07:08 am

I did that and it works.
Thanks, Martin!
Chris

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
on Aug 29, 2009 at 6:51:48 pm

Well...I finally got it..The Data Recovery Services was able to retrieve all 16GB of data from the corrupted Card....of course I had a ancy customer breathing on my neck, but what a relief....thats the last of SDHC cards I am ever going to use....the 2 Transcend ones I have are only for backup purposes....I am happy spending 200 bucks or so on Sandisk SxS cards...atleast I have the peace of mind when recording a shoot.....Thank you guys for all your help...oh by the way, the I/O controller on the card took a dump and it never could completely write the metadata to the Table of Contents on the card.....Thanks guys for all the positive comments...Much appreciated =)

Akbar

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 29, 2009 at 10:45:17 pm

[Akbar Ukani] "the I/O controller on the card took a dump and it never could completely write the metadata to the Table of Contents on the card"

I've heard that happening to an SxS card too. That's rare though (as what happened to you with SDHC). With SxS I understand Sony took the responsibility to rescue the files and then replaced the card.

Generally good SDHC cards are reliable. JVC is using them in the HM cameras. Many pro Photogs use them.

Return to posts index

Jason Doyle
on Apr 18, 2010 at 6:55:10 pm

Akbar, are you in the States? If so, can you tell me what data recover service you used? I've got the same problem with a card from an EX3.

Thanks,

Jay

Return to posts index

Dina Kagan
Re: Error Media Needs To Be Restore
on Sep 10, 2010 at 12:10:12 am

Hi Martin

I am experiencing this problem now. Where did you get the usb card reader? What kind/model is it? What program did you use to extract the mp4 files one by one?

Thank you
Dina
moreocean@earthlink.net

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Jun 21, 2009 at 3:31:19 pm

Please add your camera info to the link

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/865340

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Todd Wiseman
on Mar 11, 2010 at 8:49:39 pm

I had a similar problem recently and want to share my experience in case it helps anyone. I shot a two-camera, 40 minute interview on identical Sony Ex-1s. They only differed by the type of memory used. One had two "official" Sony SxS 8 gig cards and the other had a single Hoodman adapter with an SD 16gig from Sandisk. Guess which one went wrong...

I ingested the footage via Log and Transfer in Final Cut Pro 7 with the Ex-1 plug-in. The SxS card was of course fine. However, I found that only the first 30 seconds of the 40 minute take were capturing on the SD card. After about 30 sec in, it would eject the drive and quit transferring. I tried it a few times. No luck. I started to sweat.

I put the card back in the camera with no apparent problems. In the media browser I saw the 40 minute clip and its duration was accurate. Then I played it in the camera. At 30 seconds or so, it froze up and gave the dreaded "Media needs to be restored." Of course, it provided no option to restore. I started freaking out.

I attempted all kinds of things, but nothing was doing. I started to get it when I tried to copy the clips directly out of the card's BPAV folder. The 40 minute clip was broken into 3 folders and the 2nd and 3rd copied fine, but the 1st would crash and eject the drive every time. Hmm...

Back in the camera I found that as long as I didn't let it hit that 30 second "death spot" the footage was fine. So 29 seconds up and Maybe 40 after (to be safe) the footage played as expected.

Back to log and transfer. I found the same thing. I could play up to 25 seconds or so and also anywhere after that, but not at the dreaqded death spot. That would freeze and crash FCP and one time I had to completely restart the machine.

So after at least an hour of gut gnawing anxiety I set ins and outs in the log and transfer on both sides of the death spot and got all but a small portion of the footage back. I was amazed it worked.

So, no great loss in the end (we were on 2 cameras after all), but I was sufficiently freaked to put in the request for more SxS cards. Too bad they're monstrously over-priced.

Anyway, sorry this is long. I hope it helps someone though. Seems like there can be corrupt frames with the SD adapters that will cause mayhem, somehow. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Mar 26, 2010 at 12:40:04 am

I'm more concerned about the cause, as it has happened to me, using the SONY Memory Stick Pro HG adapters.

The "Restore" the card you put it in the camera, and flip the power switch to media (not camera). You are offered the choice to restore the card there. Then the card works and I think your footage is restored, or most of it.

I don't understand the cause, two adapters and two memory stick Pro HG cards and this has happened to both. Hasn't happened to the SxS cards.

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 26, 2010 at 3:30:24 am

[Steven Gladstone] "Then the card works and I think your footage is restored, or most of it. "

First of all, Sony doesn't talk to me so the following are educated guesses:

the restore command doesn't affect the actual media, per se, but is for fixing incomplete directories.
restore may also be used for writing the "lead out" of a clip that has no definite ending (camera shut off)
SDHC errors may occur because the data in some instances cannot be written to the cards fast enough.
SxS Pro cards use the camera's PCI interface while SDHC uses a USB interface.

However, Sony does talk to members of their worldwide ICE team so maybe one of them will be able to shed more light on your SDHC questions.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Mar 26, 2010 at 11:51:35 am

Thanks for the explanation. I'm using the Sony made/branded adapter with the Memory Stick Pro HG Pro card with the HX labeling. I did a test where I just turned on the camera and left it recording. Walked away and left the room. Media error at 26 minutes. Restored the card. Continued recording. Got two more errors, before I stopped the test. This is shooting a still life, with no movement of the camera at all.

Very unsettling.

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:51:44 pm

Steven,

Have you upgraded your camera to the latest firmware? There's a discussion going on right now that's dealing with the relationships of SDHC cards and different firmware versions:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/870291

You should perhaps read the entire thread.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
on Mar 27, 2010 at 4:25:48 pm

yes thanks, Firmware version 1.20

Also using the SONY Memeory Stick Duo and adapter, NOT the SDHC cards.

Steven Gladstone

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]