FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser Shotgun

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Levy
Sennheiser Shotgun
on Jun 10, 2009 at 10:07:32 am

I have a Sennheiser shotgun that's too thin to fit in the supplied mike holder on my EX-1.

When I had a similar situation years ago with a Canon XL1, I used some foam padding with adhesive on one side inside the mike holder, but I no longer have any such material.

Any suggestions for an alternative to firmly hold the mike in place?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: Sennheiser Shotgun
on Jun 10, 2009 at 12:21:39 pm

Gaffer tape.

Either lots of wraps or put some thin packing foam under it.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:16:08 pm

I keep punctured bicycle inner tubes for this kind of stuff, you can slice a piece of rubber off 'em and use them for wraps when you need a spacer. You don't have to deal with the sticky mess of tape, it absorbs a little bit of vibration, and it doesn't introduce any noise into the mix.

Cf

Return to posts index

Joe Tyler
on Jun 10, 2009 at 2:52:05 pm

Oh Dear God, no Gaffers tape. The first summer day you'd have nasty tape mess on your mic.

Sennheiser (Sony and Sanken as well) makes these cheap rubber sleeves that wrap around the mic to fit into the holders $4 or $5. The bike innertube is a great idea, I've never tried that.

joe

http://www.killianthered.com
DP in the Washington DC Area
EX3 Owner

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jun 10, 2009 at 3:29:58 pm

OK you are right Gaffer tape is a quick temporary solution if applied directly to mike (mic).

I always carry it as well as zip ties, 14 ga copper wire (great for quick rigging and unlike zips reusable) and lots of rubber bands (makes for smooth pans).

The bike inner tube solution is great. I use various cuts of it for rubber bands and shock mounting of all sorts of things.

If you grab some packing foam and then wrap good quality gaffer tape around it, there will be no mess. Tape does not have to touch mic at all.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Daniel Levy
on Jun 10, 2009 at 9:20:03 pm

Any idea where to pick such a sleeve up online?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Will Griffith
Black duct tape
on Jun 11, 2009 at 7:44:23 pm

Use black duct tape. It's at least 47% less sticky when hot. :)

-will

Return to posts index

Brett Nelson
on Jun 14, 2009 at 6:14:14 am

You could always simply use an on-camera shock mount. I've been very happy going this route using the camera shoe mount. Although now I'm interested in what was posted here last fall recommending an external shock mount that uses the shotgun mount.

Brett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]