FORUMS: list search recent posts

After the promises, will I still love the EX3?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Erickson
After the promises, will I still love the EX3?
on Jun 9, 2009 at 8:48:56 pm

Hi everyone,
I would like some advice from the (EX-1/3) Masters.
I work in a government video unit making, what else, video for internal and external government communications. Our assets include older SD machines/cameras and one newer FCP 2 system. Joy of joy- we acquired a HVR-z1u camera and a HVR-1500 less than a year ago. HD! 16x9! I feel so manly.

I want more, but here’s how our budget works:, we have no money, we have no money, we have no money, we suddenly have some money but you have to spend it today on exactly what you want or it goes away, we have no money, we have no money,……. Because we were ready with equipment models, we got what we wanted. Now I’m looking at the EX3 (just in case there’s a break in the budget clouds).

I know tapeless into FCP2 isn’t as easy as importing photos stills on a home computer. I hear about packaged video files, lost clips, etc… I've read some tutorials in the COW. What would I (TapelessNewbie) have to “watch out for” and what would I have to “look forward to” if I bought an EX3?

Whatever you can share would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: After the promises, will I still love the EX3?
on Jun 9, 2009 at 9:12:09 pm

The first thing to do is to learn the proper workflow and how to properly handle the cards and the raw EX main BPAV folder. This main folder (BPAV) needs to be copied to a parent folder with a naming convention similar to how you named the HDV tapes so you can archive them. Depending on the NLE you will convert these raw master files to work with your edit system. Now you have 2 sets of the same footage to store and every leader here (including myself) will tell you to archive the original master BPAV folder that you have carefully placed inside the parent folder. Sony was a software called Clip Browser and it can verify the that the files have been copied exactly the same as recorded to the cards. I must admit I just drag and drop onto 2 separate drive and check to see if the file size matches, and forgo the CRC verification process. The most important rule is to save to 2 separate drives as quickly as possible and try to avoid formating the cards in the field if at all possible as human error is the only issue with tapeless systems.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:29:52 pm

I work for a small shop and needed to get our HD transition right the first time. After much consideration and research, I chose the EX series. It has been a dream. The transition of our workflow has been pretty much seamless. The quality of the footage is mind-blowing compared to DV/DVCAM. Working tapeless has been fantastic, and some newer members of our company who don't have decades involved in working with tape actually prefer working with the Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer apps.

I haven't worked with HDV, but the people I asked about it beforehand described it as a pain in the butt. Having gone straight to shooting "true" HD, square pixels, efficient and solid codec, I don't have an personal comparisons to make. I just knew that, having gone from broadcast to DV/DVCAM, I wasn't about to have anything to do with any DV variant ever again if I could help it. I'm glad I waited.

Cf

Return to posts index

Mark Erickson
on Jun 11, 2009 at 7:59:41 pm

Hmmm.....
I'll look into the BPAV folder information and the Sony clip browser.
More to investigate. That's OK, I like to learn.

Thanks!

"Cognito Ergo Es"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]